Sponsored by:

Puff's Day @ Donno

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2001, 10:28 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

First off, <B>BIG THANK YOU TO DOCJOCK</B> for being a <B>TOP GEEZER</B> & letting me drive his PPP beastie round Donno What a sport & thankfully I didn't cream it, tho' I think he had a "moment" when the back-end slipped out through Craner @ 100+ LOL

The day started & ended in the fog - of which there was plenty Arrived in good time with icicles hanging off PTMW! - after spending 4 hrs cleaning yesterday & met up with Doc & his brother-in-law, Greg. Signed on & then began the what seemed endless wait for the fog to go. This gave one time to catch up with all the regulars & meet a few more faces, but it was bloody freezing Eventually, the track was opened for the first (experienced) session. I saw Rainbird in his cossie & jumped in. That car never ceases to have me in fits of giggles - sideways everywhere, <I>massive</I> acceleration, wheelspins at will... Watching as he gently (ish) added the boost (spent loads of time pushing buttons ), basically blasting everything in sight, Mike then turns round & says "Need to turn up my dampers - they're on softest settings - I forgot! " LOL

Back into the pits & I saw DocJock ready to let me have a play ( ). Gently for the first few laps, but straightway began to notice the differences. Quickshift - so precise PPP - more grunt out of corners, ie more forgiving for dodgy/wrong gear selection & just basic go Exhaust note - just sounds more efficient & purposeful compared to PTMW! Suspension - standard (hasn't even fitted my old Eibachs yet ) & took a while to get used to again, rolling a lot more & feeling as if the tyres were loosing/going to lose traction.

Finished the "experienced" session & then it was onto the "novices". Saw Pete Croney in his MY01 WRX & dived in - his onerous task was to go out & overtake novices Have got to say that the new car, with Pete's mods, was very impressive. Obviously, it was a new car, but Pete has applied his magic to it & it went. Bembo/APs & Leda we know about, but they must be working harder. The ride was excellent & well composed. SS exhaust system gave a pleasant muted throb in the cabin & the WRX was not short of get up & go. The whole experience felt more solid &, dare I say it, refined. I think a lot of people would be more than happy with a SS MY01

Doc & I shared the driving & had a good session after lunch, which included Stef over-cooking the Melbourne Loop in front of us & giving 4 wheel smoke - on video Have got to say that the nose-diving of his car is unlike any other we saw Doc & I both had a good run & it will be interesting to compare the (unofficial) times on the video later. There were parts were Doc was quicker & parts were I seemed to be. I know Doc was less caring 'bout his tyres on occasion At the end of the day, I felt totally safe with Doc's driving & I hope he felt the same with mine.

As the track seemed mostly empty & the ettiquete good, thought that I'd let PTMW! out to play Found Stef & paid a half-day for the last hour or so. Not totally preped as was on good road SO2s & 1/3 worn pads, but dialed up the suspension, turned the video on & went out, the idea being that Doc would follow me with the camera on-board. The next 45 mins were <B>CLASS</B> There were a lot of quick people out there and a lot of previously slow people (to me) had quickened with experience - got to be a <B>good thing</B> as that's what these days are about. For my part, my tyres never felt quite right & I was running a lot wider than in Doc's car Wasn't particularly pulling away from Doc, but definately had quicker sections, but so did he. Donno is definately hard to get right, need some more practice...

The afternoon ended when one of my s/hand pads (thanks Steve P) delaminated again Am I doing something wrong? One second full brake pedal, next second foot to floor, mega pumping & crabbing round the corner Prob me, but I may be unlucky...

Visual highlights of the day...

TypeR 3 wheels only round Melbourne Loop

TVR spinning down Craner in front of Pete C & I (no damage/hurt - just pride)

Stef smokin'

GTR laying darkies...

Once again, a top SIDC day. Big thanks to Stef, RobMac, Pete C, Donnington & Tyres Northampton & all the others who put in the effort Track manners were <I>vastly</I> improved over Oulton - keep it up

Apologies for such a long post, but it is "de rigeur" now

DocJock - <B>Thanks Again</B>
Old 18 February 2001, 11:23 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Puff

No probs mate. Next time we'll have some tape in the vid ROFL

Great to be passenger in your own car and feel safe.

That session trying to keep within car length of PTMW was great except for that *moment* at the Esses.

Thanks again

DJ

ps dont forget that vid of you know who spinning
Old 19 February 2001, 09:54 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DocJock:
<B>Puff

That session trying to keep within car length of PTMW was great except for that *moment* at the Esses.

[/quote]

Hehe...and you pretended to look so calm I thought you did it on purpose

Once again..cheers for the great run out..was definately the highlight of my day!

Nito
Old 19 February 2001, 02:46 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Puff.
Why don't you just joion the normal threads after each event?
I'd love to see that footage. Can you post it up or do me a copy please.

Stef.
Old 19 February 2001, 03:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Stef

But I ALWAYS run a thread after a Track Day

Vid clip I will try & work out how to do - plenty smoke Might also have you lifting your ar$e in the air...

Old 19 February 2001, 03:25 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Puff,
Are you sure the site of Stef "lifting his **** in the air" is something that should be posted on a family site....
LOL
Mike R
Old 19 February 2001, 03:37 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

lol @ Rainbowbum!
I'm just glad you weren't behind me at the time Mike!

Stef.
Old 19 February 2001, 10:45 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Stef

I was right behind you mate and Mike you are right, it's not a pretty sight

DJ