Sponsored by:

help please!

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2009, 01:03 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please!

hi i have a 1995 wrx, just wondering what the signs are if your bottom end is knock (before any one says knocking noise lol) mine sounds more like tapping, but there are no other signs, cheers
Old 16 August 2009, 01:08 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

I do believe that the early impreza's had hydraulic tappets and they are noisy could be that.
Do you have the noise when warm too or is it just when cold if the latter could be piston slap??
Old 16 August 2009, 01:09 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

thanks, when its warm or cold mate, piston slap?? sorry am not very clued up yet
Old 16 August 2009, 01:18 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

you will hear the knock mate,,, sounds like a diesel bus,,,, its nothing like a tapping,,,, tapping is top end, crank knocking is heard over the burble,,,,, you know the noise when it happens as it makes you give up the will to live for 30 mins

oh and if its the first time you will turn the engine off,,,, wait till the moring and either do a oil change and start it or jut start it with your eyes closed HOPING the neighbours repaired it over night or you was having a bad dream

i remember when my cossie made out a almighty bang on the motorway racing a supra,, i pulled over, turned the engine off,,,,,, waiting whilst stroking the steering wheel saying " come on baby,, dont do this to me" then started the car again,,,,,,, i was lucky that time as i split a boost hose

the following time,, well not so lucky
Old 16 August 2009, 01:27 PM
foxyscooby555
Scooby Regular

lol was laffing out loud at that mate cheered me up, you sound like you have the same luck as me
Old 16 August 2009, 01:30 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

well ive had my subaru almost 2 years and ive YET to change anything in the engine apart from the rocker cover gasket ( thats always leaks again a few months later) and one radiator

its been the most reliable car ive ever owned if im honest,,,,,, and when i bought it i had 5k put asside for mechanical breakdowns aswell belive it or not

though i now need a gearbox rebuild and ANOTHER rocker cover gasket

mine is a Version 3 sti that has piston slap when cold and some days its worse than others but always sorts its self out