Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 in a 60

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2009, 02:57 AM
n20ckb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOME-Self catering offersFacts about self cateringDriving in ScotlandTouring Scotland by carSingle track roads in the Scottish HighlandsScotland’s most Dangerous roadsSpeed camera positions in ScotlandAvoiding speed tickets in ScotlandGetting off a speeding charge in Scotland

Glencoe- stunning self catering lochside cottage

SPEEDING IN SCOTLAND? YOU MAY HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING OFF
The vast majority of drivers in Scotland give in straight away even if they think they’ve got a case..
But having nine points on your licence in Scotland is no joke. Get 12 points and your licence goes for six months. In this case, look on the bright side. Your past points will all be cleared off, when you get back your licence. Points are not counted towards your total after three years from the date of the offence.

How your traffic solicitor may get you off
Your defence may lie in finding something wrong with the police procedure or with the local authorities not signing the roads properly. Thousands of motorists have paid fines without challenge. Many mistakes are made by the authorities, and by the police and mobile camera units. A bit of effort on your part and you might get off.

Temporary speed restriction on A roads areas are a minefield for the authorities. The Highways Departments make many mistakes in procedures each of which can get you off. Your solicitor might get the case dropped before it gets to Court.

Keep a digital camera in the car
Keep a digital camera in the car with you, stop the car, go back to the site and photograph the speed signs, distances between them, distance markings in the road, street light distances and obstructions. Get detailed advice from web sites, but be warned, much of the advice they give you may be wrong, and much may be very out of date.

Getting off a speeding charge in Scotland

Don't know how up to date this is???
Old 15 August 2009, 08:17 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

3 points if on the spot if referred to fiscal more points but if >100 possible ban hence why you were caught <100,try pepipoo.com
martin
Old 15 August 2009, 08:54 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I always *thought* any speed caught which is >30mph over that speed limit was given as an option to ban.
Old 15 August 2009, 09:18 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Your speedo accuracy has nothing to do with the speed you are ACTUALLY caught doing. The 10% thing is the tolerance the manufacturers should be within.

I suspect you *think* you got caught by a fixed camera? I have been through these a couple of times, been flashed, but never received anything. If you get nothing after 14days you are safe, but they normally notify within 7 anyhow.

Good luck!
Old 15 August 2009, 09:58 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ahhh right.... you're toast then!

Good luck with whatever transpires.
Old 15 August 2009, 10:02 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

should be a ban doing that kind of speed in a 60mph limit !

plus a charge of dangerous driving.

don't understand why people are willing to risk the lives of everyone else on the road.
Old 15 August 2009, 10:07 AM
deamon555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Connor_scotland
My friend got caught on the same piece of road last year and got £200 and 6 points
You can probably expect about the same.. either 3 or 6 points and a fine..

Unlikely to get banned unless it was considered dangerous driving as well as just speed.. If it was a clear road and not whinging it around the place you'll be safe from a ban, but expect at least 3 points.. More likely 6.. But not restricted to that...

Note: AFAIK, even 100mph+ isn't necessarily a straight forward ban.. But if the driving is considered dangerous by endangering other road users / members of the public then you can face a ban...

BTW - That 10% rule went out the window few years ago.. YOur not allowed anything over the limit! even 1mph! As mentioned above, it's a tolerence that car manufacturers put onto the speedos so they are within the eactual speed limit.

BTW2 - Where about was the "incident? I tend to make sure things are sensible around hotspots that I know of, just incase Not that I drive around at illegal speeds all the time, but every so often I can be in a hurry, unlikely to find myself anywhere near 96 though...

Last edited by deamon555; 15 August 2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 15 August 2009, 10:14 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Note: AFAIK, even 100mph+ isn't necessarily a straight forward ban.. But if the driving is considered dangerous by endangering other road users / members of the public then you can face a ban...
Absolutely!

I was caught many years ago, doing over 100 (quite a bit over) and I was not even given three points. It was on an empty three lane carriage way, on a clear Sunday's evening. It was the best "lesson" I ever learnt and whilst the copper acknowledged that people speed, he suggested I used my mirrors in future..... he had been behind me for about 1mile with his lights going!

His first words were "You do realise that your speed constitutes a ban?!".... my **** fell out of my trousers as I was only young and just past my m/cycle test.

I tend to take it easy now!
Old 15 August 2009, 10:49 AM
Rich_wrex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ

don't understand why people are willing to risk the lives of everyone else on the road.
should have been at the last tunnel run when the dick in the wagon was doing donoughts on the brighton front with little kids running round

even worse he had kids in the car and his misses
Old 15 August 2009, 10:53 AM
McFartenplop
Scooby Regular

Really depends when your case comes up in court. If the Sherrif's in a foul mood 'caus he didnt get his oats the night before, 6 points or if your case is the last before lunch or hometime on a Friday 3 points.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:08 AM
deamon555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by McFartenplop
Really depends when your case comes up in court. If the Sherrif's in a foul mood 'caus he didnt get his oats the night before, 6 points or if your case is the last before lunch or hometime on a Friday 3 points.
^^^^ Agreed!

Nah just speeding the police charged me with and nothing else

Gutted
No offence mate, but Gutted isn't really the feeling.. Lucky is more like it, they could easily charge you with dangerous driving too, especially in the north of scotland where there are a lot of young drivers getting killed on the roads.

Also if it was 66mph then yeah ok that can happen, it's easy to drift above the limit if your not paying attention.. But 96mph is clearly deliberate intention to drive at high speed and not a sumple mistake, and we all know the rules, so to feel gutted about it doesn't really make sense, especially if you know from previous information that the police patrol that stretch of road..

I know the urge to drive on the public roads at speed is tempting, especialyl in the Impreza, but there are rules and other peoples lives on there.. SUre you may be safe in your car, but what if someoen doesn't spot you comign up and pull out infront of you!! YOur F***ED!!! We've all heard the saying loads of times before, but if you want to drive at that sort of speed, find a safe track to do it on!! "If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime!"

Don't wan to preach too much so I'll shutup now..

P.s. I too have 3 points on my licence (not speed related) and wouldn't want to risk any more..

Last edited by deamon555; 15 August 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:19 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

How's doing 96 mph risking anyones life ?

Do you never break the speed limit yourself ?

I suspect most people on here have travelled at far greater speeds than that and got away with it.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:30 AM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

I'm curious

What sort of fine/points would you be looking at if you already had 3 points?

In Scotland
unlucky fella i would say everyone speeds at sum time maybe not 96 in a 60 but we all do at sum point
Old 15 August 2009, 11:44 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Unlucky. I suppose if its a case of court processing it I think you'll get 5 points, no ban and a hefty fine (although the fine is means based, think over £200).

There is a page somewhere with the guidelines. If I find it I'll post it.

To all those people who say that speed is ridiculous, surely it is purely dependant on the surroundings. Speed limits have been around for ages and never increased despite cars being much safer and stopping much quicker than they used to. If he was on a 2 mile stretch of straight road without a single car is sight how is that dangerous?? Stupid, (given that plod will have a field day) but no more dangerous than doing 60 in an old banger.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:48 AM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andywiddss1
unlucky fella i would say everyone speeds at sum time maybe not 96 in a 60 but we all do at sum point
I don't see how he's unlucky. If the accelerator jammed he'd be unlucky.

But like you say, everyone does it. Was this a open country road or a regular lit A/B-road?

I'd say you're looking at a big fine and 6 points.

Last edited by Ved; 15 August 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:55 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Claim you had just dropped the landing gear and were on final approach..... looking for the control tower.
Old 15 August 2009, 12:23 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure the point where it crosses over to a ban is 96 or 98mph in a 60 zone. You might have just got away with it in that case? 6 points and a fine possibly.

I'd think it would also depend on location to a certain extent. For instance, doing that speed on an empty straight stretch of motorway wouldn't be considered the same as doing it on a B road.
Old 15 August 2009, 12:26 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Nah just speeding the police charged me with and nothing else

Gutted
You will not be charged with anything yet until you get you letter from the Procurator Fiscal. He is the one who will decide what your charge is and you will be given the option to either plead guilty and see what you get or try your luck in court. I wouldn't bother with the later as you have been caught red handed so just accept it and pray that you keep your licence.
Old 15 August 2009, 12:27 PM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ved
I don't see how he's unlucky. If the accelerator jammed he'd be unlucky.

But like you say, everyone does it. Was this a open country road or a regular lit A/B-road?

I'd say you're looking at a big fine and 6 points.
i say unlucky because most people speed ,to do 96 in a 60 tells me that he would have been down that road a good few times before ,and never seen any cops with hand held speed guns .

so my quote still stands unlucky
Old 15 August 2009, 12:44 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

might let you plead guilty by letter rather than have a court appearance. just have to put your hands up at the earliest opportunity surrender your licence and see what happens. Make sure they know how sorry you are and that it wont happen again this week!!
Old 15 August 2009, 01:56 PM
zeuss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rich_wrex
should have been at the last tunnel run when the dick in the wagon was doing donoughts on the brighton front with little kids running round

even worse he had kids in the car and his misses
I was there we saw that especially with kids around and kids in car - there's a time and a place to play
Old 15 August 2009, 02:14 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
How's doing 96 mph risking anyones life ?

Do you never break the speed limit yourself ?

I suspect most people on here have travelled at far greater speeds than that and got away with it.

what happens if someone decides to cross the road ?

what happens if someone is riding a horse ?

what happens if someone is overtaking a tractor coming the other way ?

same thing as speeding in built up areas, you could be the best driver in the world but you can never predict what other people will do.

of course everyone speeds but there is a big difference when you are 36mph over a 60mph limit.
Old 15 August 2009, 02:44 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what happens if someone decides to cross the road ?

what happens if someone is riding a horse ?

what happens if someone is overtaking a tractor coming the other way ?

same thing as speeding in built up areas, you could be the best driver in the world but you can never predict what other people will do.

of course everyone speeds but there is a big difference when you are 36mph over a 60mph limit.
Get a grip, maybe it was a long straight empty road, this is Scotland remember.

Connor, good luck, my guess would be 6 points.

Last edited by Skoobie Dhu; 15 August 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 15 August 2009, 03:18 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Ur saying u never speed? This is crazy, If it was a 30mph zone and the chap was doing 60mph i would agree but my the sounds of it it was a country road, were if safe to i see no problem, I would never speed in a resdentical area or school area will drive to condtions normally below the limt, I was caught 3 years ago doing just over a 100mph on the A12 sunday afternoon no cars were near by, The officer pulled me over had a chat, i recivered 3 points and £60 but he was using his decresion and decided my driving was in no way dangerous