ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Ques for PeteCroney or other 01' owner

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2001, 09:44 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Im no Don Palmer, but all i can comment on is that it goes round the corners like its on rails! I agree the steering is a bit light until it gets loaded, but i wouldnt say it prevents me from pushing in the wet. I guess you just need the confidence to go for it. Pete Croneys previous comments seem to suggest that with a few suspension mods you can really make full use of the MY01's excellent chassis.

Im a long way off getting to the limits yet anyway!

Do you have a point by the way?

James
Old 15 February 2001, 12:37 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Now that you have actually worked on and driven the new 01' with various suspension mods- now can you comment on Evo mags remarks about how in back to back driving with the 00', the 01' on wet demanding roads (both Evo and the owner of the 00' agreed) delievered far less tactile (steering/seat) info about the road below and the grip of the car- there-by making fast progress more nerve inducing.

Can the feel be brought to the 01'. Or do the subframes and other bits of rubber simply not permit the transfer of info to the driver? Or are we supposed to get used to the numb light, if accurate, feel of the 01's helm?
Old 16 February 2001, 10:17 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Jeremy

In standard trim, the car uses ET55 wheels and sits quite high, on very progressive suspension. This makes for a very comfortable ride, but does not instill confidence when pushing on.

After you have driven the car for a while, you realise what it can do and the reduced feedback isn't so much an issue. This is the same with any car, to vary degrees.

What has changed the feedback on my car is going to ET50 wheels. This effectively puts more leverage on the steering and amplifies the feedback from increasing and decreasing slip angles. The new suspension also has a lot less of the "roll over" feel as the suspension loads up when you turn in, or as you negotiate a long sweeping corner.

The new suspension provides MUCH better control of weight transfer. Not only does this make changes in direction much more precise, but also adjustments to the steering during cornering.

Keeping the body flatter and damping the weight transfer more accurately means the inside tyres are providing more grip and a manoeuvre can be done at higher speeds, with more confidence and in more safety.
Old 17 February 2001, 05:06 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

So Pete, are you saying that even with the mods the 01' is still incapable of the feel of the 00'? And if so then is just getting used to the lack of feedback really alright? I mean sure, as with so many Supra's I'm sure you can get away with little feel, but I'm sure that I'd choose the car that gave it to me any day for the times when it does really make a difference.
Old 17 February 2001, 07:32 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

No, I think the feel and feedback of my car is spot on.