Sponsored by:

Problem with logbook and tax

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2009, 02:16 PM
v4paul
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with logbook and tax

Hello all. I recently bought a v4 STI and the logbook stated it was a GL although it is a STI. Obviously i have insured it as a STI and i also sent logbook off to be changed to it's true model. I sent logbook off about 3 weeks ago and still not recieved it back yet.

My car tax is due soon and i dont have any part of the logbook so how would i go about taxing the car? or will i have to take it off the road?

Paul
Old 05 August 2009, 02:22 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

All you need is the tax disc form they send you, proof of MOT and insurance. This is assuming you've already recieved the logbook from the purchase with your details on, but now you've sent it back. If so you'll be ok
Old 05 August 2009, 02:29 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

do it online. they dont need anything then and they will send you the disc in the post!
Old 05 August 2009, 02:35 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D
do it online. they dont need anything then and they will send you the disc in the post!
Was just gonna put do it online, So long as its MOT'd and insured as they check the pnc register...

Also saves waiting in the long post office queue at the end of the month when everyone and their granny is out to get their car tax
Old 05 August 2009, 02:36 PM
v4paul
Scooby Newbie

This is where the problem is. When i bought the car i got the new keeper part but never recieved a logbook in my name. Car was purchased in june so should of got it by now. I phoned dvla up and they said i will have to fill a v62 form to recieve a logbook. I completed the form and it states if i am the new owner i need to send the new keeper piece in or pay £25. I sent all documents in and i included a letter stating the model is incorrect and it is a WRX STI. Could that be a problem? not sure if i need to get the car looked at by the dvla to confirm true model.

I am not sure if car is in my name yet so will that effect doing it online as they will send to previous owner?

Last edited by v4paul; 05 August 2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05 August 2009, 03:22 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

You need the tax renewal reminder from dvla to renew online as it has a unique reference number on it that you type in. I dont think you can do it online without this.
Old 05 August 2009, 03:36 PM
muthaducka
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem.

If you've sent the v5 off and don't have a tax disc reminder then I think you are knackered until you receive either of those in the post.

The reminder probably went to the previous owner so I'd be inclined to get on the phone and hound the DVLA / try and push them on to get it sorted.

I've changed a couple of details on my V5 and it's been changed without any question by return. Hopefully ypu're new v5 is just around the corner.
Old 05 August 2009, 03:49 PM
v4paul
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by muthaducka
I had a similar problem.

If you've sent the v5 off and don't have a tax disc reminder then I think you are knackered until you receive either of those in the post.

The reminder probably went to the previous owner so I'd be inclined to get on the phone and hound the DVLA / try and push them on to get it sorted.

I've changed a couple of details on my V5 and it's been changed without any question by return. Hopefully ypu're new v5 is just around the corner.

That sounds promising then if no problems in changing details of car. It has only been 3 week so maybe i am just worrying over nothing.

Thanks all.

Paul
Old 05 August 2009, 06:12 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

You can tax it online with the reg number, but you need the V5 reference if you don't have the tax reminder. If you have any part of the V5 or a copy, you will have that reference. The problem is where the tax disc will be sent if the database hasn't been updated.