Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhausts quality European vs Jap.

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2009, 02:35 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhausts quality European vs Jap.

Iv had my fair share of aftermarket exhausts over the years & recently my scooby has been through the std STI exhaust ; Blitz Nur spec ; Hayward & scott & today Miltek.

Quite frankly Im appaled at the quality of the Miltek backbox.....its rubbish! Yes they are free flowing & relatively quiet & are OEM looking, but the quality of the materials used & workmanship is utter tat. The welds are utter sh!te & the fact that they'r not cheap makes matters worse. Before today I was'nt overly impressed with the Hayward & scott, but looking at the two infront of me now, the H&S is far better in terms of materials & welds than the Miltek & the fact that the H&S is cheaper makes it even better.

The Blitz on the other hand is on another level & is one of the best exhausts I have ever seen & on par with a Fujitsubso Super Ti I had, which was half titanium Unfortunately the case with most European exhausts are the same: Scorpion ; Magnex ; Mongoose; Janspeed; Ansa.......they cannot compare to the top Japanese exhausts IMO.

Sad I had to sell my Blitz Nur Spec last year, as it was 2.5"
But happy I did not change the rest of my H&S system today (H&S 3" bellmouth twin scroll decat downpipe / H&S 3" resonated mid section) & just had to change the H&S Jap style backbox to a track friendly 3" Miltek backbox.

Last edited by rickya; 14 July 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 14 July 2009, 02:51 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ive just took the nurspec off my bugeye and put my Genome back on, personally i think for quallity,look and sound they are the best 2 exhausts you could have for your scoob..the build quallity on both is superb.

dissapointed i had to remove the blitz but im more than happy with the genome too.

have you sold your heyward and scott backbox?
Old 14 July 2009, 04:56 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Not sold yet but there is someone interested.

I would love to have kept the Blitz or Sti Genome but either too loud for trackdays or 2.5" & I need 3".
Old 14 July 2009, 05:07 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

ahh i see, i do like my genome, although ide like it to be a touch louder
Old 15 July 2009, 08:53 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree: I was very impressed with the workmanship on my HKS Silent Hi-Power as below:

Old 15 July 2009, 09:54 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Great pics, HKS are class.
Pic of my approx 2 year old Blitz Nur Spec S. The welds between the tailpipe & can are superb & the thickness & quality of stainless steel was excellent.

Blitz:

H&S welds are also quite good in comparison, but steel not as thick & not as precise a fit/finish, but still good.

Will post up Miltek for comparison later!

Last edited by rickya; 15 July 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 15 July 2009, 10:16 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Great pics, HKS are class.
I was dead lucky with it. The OEM STi steel pipe on my car was looking a bit ropey, so I had been scouring E-Bay for a week or two and picked up this one dirt cheap on auction. It was brand New Old Stock to clear at an official UK HKS Distributor. It cost me just under 200 quid (inc. gaskets & delivery). List price was about 520 quid IIRC.

The exhaust fitter was also very impressed. He always turns his nose up at installing aftermarket exhausts because they don't always fit properly first time and require a lot of fiddling. This one went on like a dream.
Old 15 July 2009, 10:21 AM
subeyman
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack the thread but ive currently got a full Miltek system on my JDM Hawkeye and was wondering if replacing it with a nurspec b/box would it only increase in volume or would the note be different? (id like a bit more vol and a more aggressive note) i thought id ask as youve had different systems, cheers
Old 15 July 2009, 11:16 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Will change the sound of the exhaust definetley. But Miltek exhausts IIRC do not always interchange with other exhaust sections as they may be different lengths.
Old 15 July 2009, 12:33 PM
subeyman
Scooby Regular

actually i was wrong its got i believe a spec c 'arrangement' and miltek b/box any ideas if the nur spec can be directly swapped?
Old 15 July 2009, 05:18 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Right get ready for it! Bear in mind its not new and a couple of years old just like the Blitz. The H&S is only approx a year old.

Miltek

Not sure if they'v improved theyr quality recently but going by this they should be called "Sh$tTek" not Miltek A complete **** could do better welding while knocking back tequila shots & smoking a spliff!

I cannot believe Iv taken off a Blitz & a H&S only to put this junk on & just before Uxbridge Auto Show as well !!

Last edited by rickya; 15 July 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 15 July 2009, 05:29 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Here's a pic from their website, a brand new one alomost looks as bad as my 2 year old one, all be it without the rust!!

Old 15 July 2009, 06:02 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Never fancied the Miltek personally as I've always liked ProSpeed ones in Cardiff as he will make them to your spec!! This one is 'slightly loud' The tail is only 3.5" I think!!

Old 15 July 2009, 08:15 PM
subeyman
Scooby Regular

Right get ready for it! Bear in mind its not new and a couple of years old just like the Blitz. The H&S is only approx a year old.

Miltek

Not sure if they'v improved theyr quality recently but going by this they should be called "Sh$tTek" not Miltek A complete **** could do better welding while knocking back tequila shots & smoking a spliff!

I cannot believe Iv taken off a Blitz & a H&S only to put this junk on & just before Uxbridge Auto Show as well !!
F*CK ME That looks poor! I thought Miltek were supposedly good quality, the Nur Spec looks 10x better
Old 15 July 2009, 08:22 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

That's criminal - like was said earlier, they're pricey too. I was suggested a full Miltek (sports cat) system by a very well known tuning house who only supply and fit these items (a few quid shy of a grand once fitting and mapping are accounted for). I'll be looking elsewhere unless a defender of the Miltek system is willing to argue their case. Why have they got, on the face of it, such a good name? Only a d=ck would part with his/her hard earned on the face of this evidence.
Old 16 July 2009, 10:15 AM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

mmmmmmm, I see what you mean!!!
Old 16 July 2009, 03:08 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

I'll never buy a miltek again (similar quality to above pics) They are definitely built to a very low quality by monkeys and/or work experience kids.
Old 16 July 2009, 03:27 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

that miltek looks hurrendous... personally i dont think you can beat either the nur spec or the Sti Genome for build quallity..the nur spec is very loud though..ive got the Genome back on now with a nice sound

Old 16 July 2009, 04:13 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Ive actually posted about this before when people were asking about them, I returned mine to J26(Roadrunner),
I have to say the BBox finish on the Audi RS4 and POLO GTi were great from Miltek but this happened on a Group buy of vectra BBoxes some years ago too.
Old 16 July 2009, 05:30 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I've had a few makes of exhaust and agree, the UK made ones don't have the quality of the JAP stuff. Magnex are nice sounding but appear to have a massive lump of weld instead of the ultra smooth and neat machine welds that the jap stuff use.

I've got a H&S on the car at the moment but that only because it's a custom 3.5" from the bell mouth or that would been swapped over to my trusty 3" 5Zigen

I've never been a fan of the miltek stuff, they appear to discolour alot due to the heat that goes through them, the metal seems very thin and as said the welds look like they have been done in a play school.
Old 16 July 2009, 08:04 PM
Mikee
Scooby Regular

My old H&S was a quality piece of kit, well made and good quality metals/welds, sounded great too! Given the chance I'd buy another one.
Old 16 July 2009, 10:39 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

You pay good money for a so called quality product, your not doing the lucky dip in the fun fair & keeping your fingers crossed you get one of their good ones!
Old 16 July 2009, 11:13 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cant fault the blitz nur spec i have, quality is amazing

wiley
Old 17 July 2009, 05:41 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Just been down to Hayward & Scott in Essex, great bunch of guys; customer service; knowledge & quality craftmanship. Lets just say what they do is traditional hand made British craftmanship that is sadly dying out in this country these days. Full report with pics on Hayward & Scott to follow.

The Miltek is now so quiet & flat toned that I miss my Jap style H&S exhaust with its multi tonal, characterful exhaust Im never satisfied! I think its a bit extra quiet as I have the H&S large resonated centre section. They measured it static at approx 4,750 revs at 93 dcb.

Last edited by rickya; 18 July 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 18 July 2009, 12:38 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Pic of my approx 2 year old Blitz Nur Spec S. The welds between the tailpipe & can are superb & the thickness & quality of stainless steel was excellent.

Blitz:
The latest Blitz is even better now with doubled up rods for the 3 hangers & a good length of weld along each of the mounting points.

Old 18 July 2009, 07:00 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

The best quality exhaust I have ever had is on my car at the moment. It's a TSL Pulse Extraction System, although it cost the best part of £1k it's quality is exceptional. I have seen some of the Blitz systems and the welds are fantastic.

Last edited by Boyakasha; 18 July 2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 18 July 2009, 07:29 AM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jap stuff is always far superior.

Have a Ganador Titanium one piece system on mine, and its amazing. Build quality, welds etc etc.

I would never even consider putting something like a Magnex on it. I know people do to save a few quid. But not for me!

Same goes for 99% of stuff for my car. Only non Jap components on mine is my Hyperflow stuff and K-Sport brakes!
Old 18 July 2009, 12:13 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

If it was'nt for trackday noise limits I would stuck to my Blitz Nur Spec & modified it to 3". Or if luck enough to find a Gandor one like yours or a new Fujitsubo titanium maybe.

I got H&S to sort out the Miltek a bit by smoothing the tailpipe; adjusting the hangars for a better fit & then I went over it with loads of Autosol to get rid of rust & blemishes in metal, now looks a bit better.
Old 18 July 2009, 12:57 PM
4wheel
Scooby Regular

have had a couple of magnex systems on cars i have had, including on the classic i have now, am pleased with both quality and fitment, but it was at half the price of a blitz so all in all you probably get what you pay for, except in the case of the miltek by the looks of it
Old 18 July 2009, 06:41 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The nur spec and genome look great quality ....how do they compare weight wise guys and do genome do a cat back

Quick Reply: Exhausts quality European vs Jap.