new to subarus

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2009, 05:20 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to subarus

Hi

Ive just put a deposit on a box standard 99 impreza type R v-limited from wrc imports in bradford, i had a good look round it and its very clean underneath being a fresh import also there are no dents or scratches and the engine sounds sweet. Il be having a test drive next weekend and aslong as it drives ok the car is mine. Are there any possible inherent problems that i should be looking for before i do the deal?, what milage should be cambelt be changed?, what power do these leave the facrory with? is the adjustable center diff trouble free?

Thanks Tristan
Old 28 June 2009, 06:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Now personally about 99.9% of the people on here wouldnt have recommended you to get a car from WRC/KTC etc in keighly or go near the place with a barge pole tbh
But as you have put a deposit on the car, you need to get it inspected, RAC/AA before you buy it outright.

Cambelts are every 3 years, basically you will need it fully servicing (about 600 quid for everything to be done) for piece of mind.
BHP is 276bhp out of the factory, forget this 300bhp that people will throw at you, 280ps/276bhp, anything above that is a bonus.

No doubt as its wrc/ktc they have not told you that these cars run on 100 ron fuel in japan? which means they need the highest octane fuel available here in the UK (shell v power or tesco 99 ron), a remap for UK fuel is recommended and i personally would also have the MAF sensor changed as these are very problematic on this version (5 and on 6's also) of the car (affects all MY99/00 model year turbo subaru's).

The Diff in the open position should be free with no nasty grinding sounds, it should move freely on the dial with no effort, it will wind up if you try parking the car with it in any position other than fully open (like your car isnt moving), but look in the technical area for the tech threads about how to use it properly.

Tony

PS its a version 6 they have there with the blue interior, its actually an MY00 car even though it was made (probably but its wrc so they dont have a clue anyway) in 1999

Last edited by TonyBurns; 28 June 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 28 June 2009, 09:17 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Personally, although I share the opinion of a lot on here, I'd get your deposit back and buy a private one from someone on here. I'm not saying WRC are bandits or anything but if you do a search for WRC Imports or Keighly (sp) Trade Centre, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by Ved; 28 June 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 29 June 2009, 07:52 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Wel thats got me paranoid now, having come from mitsubishi evo's and being a member of the mlr, ive heard all the scare stories about KTC but didnt realise WRC and KTC were linked, tbh ive never heard anything bad against WRC, my mate recently bought a 650bhp r34 skyline from KTC, i warned him away but he still bought the car.

I have a mate whos a good mechanic and can do cambelts ect for much cheapness so thats not a problem, il also try and do plugs, oil and filters myself.

i just read the diff controll guide so i feel more confident about how that works, can the diff be damaged if doing slow manovers with the diff locked, what is meant by winding the diff up?

I would have expected to use v-power ect, but didnt realise it would have to be remapped to suit uk fuel, is this essential or can the car be driven without a remap without problems? where would be best for a remap, i live in the blackpool area so any where in the north west would be suitable, i now of a place in fleetwood called scooby technix, anybody dealt with these before?

I havent put a big deposit on this car so if it did turn out to be a shed then its not the end of the world, we did agree that if i wasnt happy with the drive of the car id get the deposit back, tbh i think it looked quite good, couldnt see any signs or repairs or paint and the underneath was mint, engine sounded quite when started from cold couldnt hear any noisy tappets.

if anybody whos knows there scoobys inside out, was free saturday and in the bradford or blackpool area then i would gladly pay a small fee for there time.

Thanks Tristan
Old 29 June 2009, 08:26 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

id get it inspected mate . people have had no end of woes from that place !
Old 29 June 2009, 08:28 PM
Notts.stityper
Scooby Newbie

i would definately get my money back i bought a car from these a few years ago ending up in taking it straight back after getting it home and showing to my mechanic friend who said it was a mess under the bonnet with things missing and broke. got the car took back up on a truck and it took me 3 months and threats of taking them to court to get my money back f***in jokers,

avoid them and one in blackburn who likes going bust and changing company name to avoid paying people back for Sh**ers they sell
Old 30 June 2009, 07:37 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

also, if it's been imported recently (i.e. after Mar 06) won't it incur 400 road tax ?
Old 30 June 2009, 12:22 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If your looking for a WRC Limited Edition, I have a Type RA for sale @ £5K

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...d-edition.html

Unlike "Some, but apparently not all!" JDM cars. mine has been in the country since new, has every bill and receipt and I'm only the 2nd owner. VERY rare for an import.

I went to WRC, the Integrale they had there at £11K was shafted and a STI RA they had for £8K was probably the worst damage repaired car I've ever seen - the B pillar was bent!

Last edited by EddScott; 30 June 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 30 June 2009, 03:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by EddScott
Unlike other JDM cars. mine has been in the country since new!
So has mine ya cheeky git
Good luck on the sale Ed yours is a stunner

Tony
Old 30 June 2009, 04:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by stanmo
also, if it's been imported recently (i.e. after Mar 06) won't it incur 400 road tax ?
NO, thats only cars produced after xx date in 2001 I believe, prior to that they dont fall into that bracket

Tony
Old 30 June 2009, 04:09 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
So has mine ya cheeky git
Good luck on the sale Ed yours is a stunner

Tony
Fixed
Old 30 June 2009, 05:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by EddScott
Fixed

Tony
Old 30 June 2009, 06:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My V5 STI was new at import too. Got all the receipts, sales invoice etc very pleased. Now sorting the minor niggles and making her luvely
Old 01 July 2009, 05:43 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Thats what i like to hear, im glad your pleased with it mate, im still goin to look at, and test drive this scooby again, going to give it a proper good going over, from what i saw the first time it looked like a well looked after unmolested example, taking back up aswel incase i miss something, surely all WRC's cars cant be bad, in my opinion theres always going to be people who have bad experiences, hopefully il soon own a nice scooby

Thanks Tristan