Sponsored by:

330s Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 07:12 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330s Owners

Please don't move this to the ICE section it is more specific to the car and not many 330s owners will ever want to look in the ICE section.

I have placed an order for a 330s which is arriving next week. As an extra and they said it could be done, I have asked them to connect an Ipod lead to the standard SatNav unit. To be fair to these guys they haven't sold a 330s before so all their info is coming from Head Office.

It turns out the lead left in the glove box is for a DVD input and so now they don't think it is possible to connect or control an Ipod from the head unit. Has anyone managed to do this in any shape or form either / and connect an Ipod and control it from the unit.

Apparently the standard unit in the Sti is a doddle to do but for some reason Subaru seem to have cocked up a bit on the 330s. Does anyone know the actual model number / reference for the unit so I could google the manual?
Old 05 June 2009, 07:28 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

they are clarion head units they fit, either nav or non nav but heres a link to subarus accessory site for the ipod lead for your headunit
Clarion iPod cable CCA692<br><br>
Old 05 June 2009, 07:37 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
they are clarion head units they fit, either nav or non nav but heres a link to subarus accessory site for the ipod lead for your headunit
Clarion iPod cable CCA692<br><br>
That's the wrong head unit. In the accessories it is down as a Subaru Sat Nav not a Clarion. I'm not saying it isn't a Clarion but the others are list as Clarion and this one isn't and the cable refers to a Clarion unit not the Subaru one - it is all very frustrating
Old 05 June 2009, 07:40 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it, for 6 years I was able to control the ipod from the head unit, now I can't.

I asked about this at the time I bought mine and got the answer it can't be done.
Old 05 June 2009, 07:46 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

I have just taken out and sold a Pioneer BT900 from my old car which was a fantastic system and I'm going backwards even though I'm buying a new car with a SatNav system built in. Ipods / MP3 are suppose to be the future so why can't you connect??????????? This explains why Subaru were still putting cassette decks in cars in 2007, they are so behind the times yet the Japanese are suppose to be THE people for technological advances
Old 05 June 2009, 07:47 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

binned my headunit off, bought a full alpine setup lol ipod works atreat now.

pretty sure if you remove the unit it will be sticked up clarion but could be wrong lol knowing subaru
Old 05 June 2009, 07:48 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
binned my headunit off, bought a full alpine setup lol ipod works atreat now.

pretty sure if you remove the unit it will be sticked up clarion but could be wrong lol knowing subaru
Weren't the standard ones previously Kenwoods?
Old 05 June 2009, 07:52 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Anyone got a photo of ther front and backs of these?

Although I'm probably barking up the wrong tree as my is a MY09. I'd love my headunit control back.
Old 05 June 2009, 07:52 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

yes in the 02-07 were kenwoods
Old 05 June 2009, 07:56 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Anyone got a photo of ther front and backs of these?

Although I'm probably barking up the wrong tree as my is a MY09. I'd love my headunit control back.
Have you at least managed to connect it to the Head Unit so it amplifies the music?
Old 05 June 2009, 08:03 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Volume on the ipod to max, oh and turn speed sound off on the aux channel through the menu system.
Old 05 June 2009, 08:11 PM
silver demon
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi
Sure you'll find the 330s nav unit is based on an old kenwood model, just the same as is in my euro sti
For a picture of the back look here09XTP Sat Nav Unit Qs - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Old 05 June 2009, 09:46 PM
Mobius 1
Scooby Regular

I can 100% confirm that the stereo is a Kenwood lump. I took mine out before it went back to the dealer to be replaced (the FM/AM tuner did not work). I thought I'd have a look at the back of it to see if the connectors looked the same as the ones I saw on the American forums. If I damaged it somehow then it was being replaced anyway

The unit does look exactly the same as the one on the above link from Silver Demon. My model did not have the metal cover over the small plug next to the small black and white plugs.

Here is a link to an american site where an Ipod interface cable purchased from here https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1453 is being installed to the Kenwood unit we seem to have. I have checked the numbers on the label in the photo of this guys unit against mine but they were not the same. I have no idea if it would work with ours? There seems to be some issue in america that if you have "Sat" radio (our digital radio) then you cannot use the interface as they use the same plug.
When you control the Ipod using this interface is uses the screen set up for the digital radio info. Our units do not cycle through this screen but it may not be activated until there is somthing pluged into the port. Like the bluetooth screen.

2008 Subaru STI Ipod Integration for Stock Navigation System DIY - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

The bracket used in this fitment to mount the box from the interface cable will not fit our cars. There is already a bracket in there holding the tilt sensor and some other gubbins for the alarm. But you could deffo squeeze it in there somewhere (needs must and all that). I have no idea if this will work with our units but I am close to just bloody trying it, not having a pod connection is just bloody ridiculous.

The AV connection is in the centre console. This has the three RCA (red white yellow) plugs. I bought an ipod cable for £10 that plugs into this. It just transmits audio. You need to select Aux on the head unit. I did not find the ipod volume had to be on full at all and the sound was just fine. Obviously it is cr@p tho because it doesn't charge the pod or turn it on/off with the ignition.

I have so far found a uk company who make a lead which will charge and turn on/off the pod and provide some control of the ipod through the wheel and head unit control buttons, but there is no display what so ever. I'm not totally convinced he knew which head unit I was refereing to so this needs some more investigation. Infact I cant even remember who it was I rang but I could find out.

What a ball ache..........hope this helps a little

Cheers

Ben
Old 05 June 2009, 10:01 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Mobius, the real ball ache with all that, on the US subaru site on the build config for cars, that Ipod connector is $8.95 for the forrester and the Sti's connector is $160!!
Old 05 June 2009, 11:26 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

At least they have stopped putting cassette decks in new cars so there is hope yet in 2020
Old 06 June 2009, 09:03 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I'm wondering if the US ones will fit the UK and euro models, and what the difference is between the 2 kits. With the $/£ rate going back in our favour, it may be worth importing a couple of the kits if they will do what we want.
Old 06 June 2009, 11:24 AM
Mobius 1
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'm wondering if the US ones will fit the UK and euro models, and what the difference is between the 2 kits. With the $/£ rate going back in our favour, it may be worth importing a couple of the kits if they will do what we want.
I would almost 100% bet the plugs themselves would fit. I spent some time making sure the sockets pictured in that install thread were the same as mine while I had it out.

It's just a matter of will the software support it? It uses the digi radio screen to show the info. That may come to life on ours when something is plugged in, or may not In America the digi radio tuner is a separate unit and uses the same port/plug as the ipod interface, so you can only have either.

Someone must be able to develop an interface that works through the CD changer port for this country at least. This would probably not allow for full pod control, but better than virtually nothing??

So who is going to take the plunge then?? Someone needs to order away and have a go

Cheers

Ben
Old 06 June 2009, 12:03 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I don't have the nav unit, I have the standard factory thing.
Old 06 June 2009, 12:40 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

And it would appear this is the 1 I need if (stock unit without nav)

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1263
Old 12 June 2009, 09:54 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Prices seem to be coming down on these - Ebay No: 400052804831
Old 12 June 2009, 10:10 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Gotta work out the way of getting the surround off first.
Old 14 June 2009, 12:54 AM
Mobius 1
Scooby Regular

Gotta work out the way of getting the surround off first.

Just read this thread below. There is a step by step walkthrough. I know you have the standard stereo but the surround should come off the same way, you'll just have an extra plate to fill the gap of the larger units hole.

There are 7 metal spring clips that pop into the dash. Start at the top middle as it says here

2008 Subaru STI Ipod Integration for Stock Navigation System DIY - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

HTH

Ben
Old 14 June 2009, 11:50 AM
rob84
Scooby Regular

have a look at my Thread I did when i put my alpine unit in
Cumbrian Scoobs :: View topic - New Alpine Headunit Install

the facia surround just unclips off