Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat B write -offs(what can i do????)

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2009, 03:31 PM
martin2269
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat B write -offs(what can i do????)

HI
Can anyone help please. I purchased a car in OCT2005, i sent the logbook of to change all details to my name and address....No problems- got the log book all ok.
I then insured the car with admirals... no problems. i have mot'd and taxed since then and still is right up to now.
I decided to change insurers because it was cheaper, then 3-days later they e-mailed me back to say they are cancelling the insurance-because the car is registered as a CAT B in OCT2000... and that it should not be on the road.
I then phoned VOSA- and they told me that there is NO mark on the vehicle.
I have now done a HPI and found that it is a CAT B.

Can i get this changed? and why does Vosa who do the VIC tests say there is nothing on it.

Please advise anyone
Old 11 May 2009, 03:40 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

not sure if id tell vosa they might take it off you with it being catb and you will end up with nothin might be wrong i always thought cat b vehicles had to be scrapped catc can be repaired if im wrong someone put me right
Old 11 May 2009, 03:40 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was a cat B, then eben the DVLA wouldn't/shouldn't issue a log book.
Someone has got it wrong somewhere along the line. If I was you, I would get a VOSA to conifrm in writing that it doesn't have a marker, and take it up with whoever takes car of the HPI checks/Insurance database.

Check this databse to see if there is a marker: askMID
Old 11 May 2009, 06:24 PM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

An interesting post here for you: http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1863

Read the last post in particular- "and now the good news...
I've phoned VOSA and the DVLA and dug to the bottom of the pile. The car is completely legal and has an 'ancient' marker to say that it was seriously damaged but not written off. If I'd known about it, I could have had that removed already but the new owner can do this over the phone when the log book arrives with him.
Phew!
To the other people who are having similar difficulties with older cars - try phoning the DVLA. It's hell to get through (0870 2400010) and you do need to avoid the automated 'help' but it was worth it because, obviously, cat Bs were handled differently before 2003 and then differently again between 2003 and 2006."

It's very strange that VOSA couldn't confirm a mark given the HPI result you and your insurers found. However, it wouldn't be the last time a callcentre gives out duff info due to their advisor's (in)competance. I'd go back to VOSA & speak to someone else.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Last edited by smokingkills; 11 May 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11 May 2009, 06:28 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Dont worry!!
I have known in the past that a car if subject to a claim be changed from one cat to another problem is the databases dont always tally.
HPI it
Speak to vosa and if need be arrange a VIC check..

if you have owned it a while dif out any receipts etc , you wont loose the car dont stress!!