Sponsored by:

Upgrade help required

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2002, 03:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Welcome back to the board. You might get a more mature level of discussion in the Drivetrain forum

I have a few thoughts for you, just my experience and opinion. I have a 2000 Impreza Turbo with a PPP, so a bit like your RB5 WR engine wise as I understand yours will have the PPP. To this I have added a decat downpipe (£250 inc fitting I wouldn't bother what brand in particular they all seem to be good - mine is Magnex). With the rest of the Prodrive performance bits, the exhaust note is very quiet, but the spool up is earlier than before, but you need to put a cat in for MOTs.

To this I have added a Dawes manual boost controller (£25-35) which runs 18 PSI over a wider flatter range than the PPP does, and gives the car between 257 and 280 BHP depending on which dynos you believe.

My next stage is a homemade electronic boost controller - work in progress and probably a hybrid turbo upgrade (£500-600 installed), which should take it to 290-310 BHP depending on dyno again!

If you get a new turbo (VF23-30 seem to be the ones raved about £800++fitting), many also remap the ECU(£500-4000), add a front mount intercooler(£800-....)

You may then find the clutch and gearbox are the weak links.

If you want a solid 300 BHP it is possible, and fairly reliable. My personal view is that if I want to go for new ECU, FMIC, new turbo etc I would be better buying an Evo 7.

Hope this helps.

Have a wander through drivetrain forum and http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk for other ideas.

[Edited by john banks - 3/2/2002 3:18:49 PM]
Old 02 March 2002, 02:43 PM
leeson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I used to frequent this BB many years ago now and it took me ages to find it again but I have and need some assistance.

I've had a couple of Imprezas over the last 5 years and my latest one is an WR rb5 Prodrive which I've had from new. It's only done 19'000 miles and I'm thinking of either selling it or modifying it. Trouble is if I sell it what do I buy? I don't like the new shape Scooby and don't want an M3. My only other choice would be an Evo 7 or keeping my rb and spending some dosh on it. Apart from suspension and brakes I seem limited in trying to gain more power from the engine. It produces around 240bhp and I would like to push that up considerably. What are the options available to get the engine above 300bhp and what costs are involved.

thx
Old 02 March 2002, 04:01 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy Tang managed 356bhp from a 1999 UK turbo, but I suspect that cost a small fortune. If it was my money I'd look at replacing the car, which is what I'm doing (collecting a modified skyline next week), I've heard that Evo 7's are good and capable of 350bhp easily (exhaust, induction & boost controller). Standard offical UK Evo7's have 300bhp. If prodrive launch a PPP for the new STI I guess it would probably take the car to around 300-320bhp, might be another option to consider...