Sponsored by:

Man hangs onto Scooby by its spoiler after it’s nicked

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2001, 01:59 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

This story got wide coverage in all Irish national papers this week. The guy has a MY 97.

Gardai is the name for our police force.

From Irish Independent newspaper:

Driver tells of 100mph chase nightmare with car thief

GARDAI have begun a manhunt for a thief who drove at high speeds trying to steal a car with its owner on the back, clinging for dear life.

Peter Cosgrove (32), of Tullaghstown, Navan, advertised his Subaru Impreza Turbo sports car worth £18,000 and received a call from a Dublin man who looked at the car and said he wanted his mechanic to examine it.

When Mr Cosgrove met the man later he said the mechanic was busy and asked him to drive the car to Lucan so that it could be put up on a ramp for checks.

As they reached Lucan, Mr Cosgrove got out of the car to move into the driving seat but the man then drove off. Mr Cosgrove managed to hang on to his car by gripping the back spoiler and standing on the bumper. "We went all round Lucan for two or three miles and we were doing speeds over 100mph with me on the back of the car. He was trying to shake me off the car," Mr Cosgrove told Marian Finucane on RTE's Liveline.

"I knew if I had come off the car at that speed I would have been killed," said Mr Cosgrove.

A man in a Toyota Corolla tried to follow the car but the thief sped off. Mr Cosgrove said he wasn't sure whether or not the back spoiler would come away from the car, but if it had, it would have meant certain death. "I was praying that it wouldn't come off," he added.

Eventually the car braked suddenly at a cul-de-sac in Cooldrinagh, between Leixlip and Lucan. Mr Cosgrave went flying through the back window and the thief jumped out of the car and fled.

Gardai in the greater Dublin area have now launched a manhunt to track down the culprit.

The man is aged between 23 and 25, slim build and sandy brown hair with a Dublin accent.
Old 10 February 2001, 02:08 PM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Bloody Hell!!!

I`m fixing my new spoiler on from David Ried Motorsport this afternoon, best use double the amount of adhesive now though!!
Old 10 February 2001, 02:20 PM
Rob W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Pretty damn scary!
Hope they catch the thieving barsteward

Rob
Old 10 February 2001, 02:25 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

It's not a nice situation but you have to admit, it's a pretty funny thing to picture!
Glad he's ok...

Stef.
Old 10 February 2001, 02:45 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Scarry story but nice of you to share it with us , I wonder if the extra weight on the spoiler added any more down force.

Maddy
Old 10 February 2001, 04:53 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Peter (the driver) should take up water skiing I`m sure he`d match the best after this episode.

Nah serious though, jus go`s to show a good anti carjack systems worth having. Hope they get i`m an hang i`m by the pods

Pete
Old 10 February 2001, 10:33 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Bloomin heck thats unbeleivable, he's lucky to be alive !!

AllanB
Old 10 February 2001, 11:13 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Not only is he lucky to be alive but the scumbag who tried to rob the car also turned off the lights and was getting it sideways in the corners to try and lose the owner. Don't think I would be that brave. Its bad enough inside the car at 100mph in the dark but sideways!! I don't think so. Spare a thought for Macspower, he had a Scooby stolen at gun point from him some time ago. This was highly modified and it held the Irish 0 to 60 record for a saloon car in Ireland. Since then it has been used in numerous armed robberies and has been chased all over Ireland for over a year. Only this week a thieving scumbag was caught trying cars in his area and he had Macs address and details of his car in a diary in his pocket. The local Gardai informed him to increase security which he did and only to have 3 scumbags try and smash down his back door to get his keys on Thursday night at 3.30am. Luckily he chased them off, but they said they will be back for him and his car. This was reported to the Gardai when it happened and they were told that a video tape of the scumbags in action was available but as of writing they still have not arrived. Nobody deserves this kind of ****.