Sponsored by:

WHITE SMOKE :(

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2009, 11:34 PM
BGH1R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHITE SMOKE :(

i posted a thread 2 days ago and i explained my car was not running right and everyone said that it was the maf sensor which had gone...

BUT...the drive home from work the turbo cut out and white smoke was just gushing out of the exhaust like a fire extinguisher

and now the car wont rev past 3k revs and the turbo wont open

i used to have a vf43 now ive changed to a TD05 20g ive had nothing but problems with the running of the car

any ideas what the problem could be ?

i hope its nothing to big there was no knocking sound from the engine

Regards
Bob
Old 25 April 2009, 05:46 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BGH1R
i posted a thread 2 days ago and i explained my car was not running right and everyone said that it was the maf sensor which had gone...
Can't speak for anyone else but that's not what I said. The first line of my original reply mentioned that there were a number of possible causes for the symptoms you were reporting but that based on what you'd said, the mass airflow sensor was probably the first thing to rule in or out. That is by no means the same as saying it's definitely the MAF, period. That means that it's a likely cause for the symptoms you reported and that a worthwhile first diagnostic step would be changing it and see if that fixes the problem.

I'm not getting on your case here but you have to read what's written and be a little sensible at the same time, in particular accept that we can only advise on the basis of what you tell us. It's not like any of us can magically see, listen to or drive your car via the power of the internet.

More to the point, if you ordered your new sensor on Thursday, have you already fitted it? If not, driving the car cautiously would have been a worthwhile step in the meantime.

You also failed to mention the other day a couple of specific details you include in this post. Had you done so then, the advice you received might have been different, or at very least, more specific:

BUT...the drive home from work the turbo cut out and white smoke was just gushing out of the exhaust like a fire extinguisher
Again, same situation, so read this very carefully: There are a number of things this could be. However, based on what you've told us, the likeliest suspect would probably be the turbo eating itself.

and now the car wont rev past 3k revs and the turbo wont open
You clearly shouldn't be trying to make the turbo open if it's spewing white smoke (most likely oil) out. Your car needs something none of us can provide via the web: first hand examination by someone who knows what they're looking at.

i used to have a vf43 now ive changed to a TD05 20g ive had nothing but problems with the running of the car
In that other thread you made no mention of the fact that your car has been through not one but two non-standard turbos, and you also now make it clear that you've been suffering ongoing issues with it since the last change - this is what I meant about not giving us all the pertinent info last time round.

This raises a couple of obvious questions, not least whether you had it properly remapped after each of the swaps (and especially the jump from VF43 to TD05)? Also, was the TD05 brand new when fitted, and did you re-use oil supply banjo bolts supplied with the VF43 when it was put in? Finally what specific problems had you been having with it prior to now?

Have you, incidentally, checked the oil and coolant levels to see what if anything has happened to them?

any ideas what the problem could be ?
Could be loads of things, from blown piston rings to, as mentioned above, the turbo itself. If you can answer the questions above it'll be easier for us to advise without quite so much guesswork, however the only way to be sure is to diagnose it at first hand.

i hope its nothing to big there was no knocking sound from the engine
Well, that's a comfort, hopefully implies that any damage is reasonably compartmentalised and the bulk of the engine will be fine. If you can't do it yourself, find someone local who knows their stuff and get them to look at your car - and don't start it in the meantime.
Old 25 April 2009, 08:46 AM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

Sums it up nicely!
Old 25 April 2009, 11:47 AM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say your turbo has died or pipe work from the turbo to the cooler/ cooler to inlet has failed. When I fitted my td05 it was doing the exact same as you say, it turned out to be the pipe that goes from the turbo to the cooler wasnt tight. The white smoke was fuel that wasnt getting burnt it was making a big whooshing noise which was the turbo spinning up but but not creating boost.

Hope this helps and it turns out to be something this simple.
Old 25 April 2009, 11:48 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Either that or there's a new Pope