Not 30k evo's

Am I alone in this opinion ?
Andyp

Old 06 February 2001, 05:54 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no andy you're not.

wrong priorities again, thanks to muppet career politicians at westminster. how about police on the beat instead? you know, a bit of visible policing where it matters?

god save us, i thought that's why they had helicopters.

"hero car"? cobblers. however, i'd like to see the spotty nova herbert who tries to burn evo-plod off at the lights...
Old 06 February 2001, 05:58 PM
ed the dead
Scooby Regular

Police on the beat are the most ineffective and costly method of policing. However, I do agree that spending thousands on Evos, scoobies etc seems a little excessive. I am aware that it probably 'takes one to catch one', but how many do they chase? I am sure its not enough to justify the expense. For one evo you could buy 3.5 Astras which would be more than adequate for the major of police tasks (if you could afford the bods to fill 'em is another matter).
Old 06 February 2001, 05:59 PM
HUNTY
Scooby Regular

Now that looks **** hot!

[This message has been edited by HUNTY (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 06:01 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Police get an EVO

And some Airfix plastic glue to stick it back together when they break it?

Perhaps they'll enter a team in next years Network Q Rally. No need to look for sponsorship, they could use some of the money 'generated' from the speeding convictions.

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 06:10 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Question

OK chaps, I can see your point about the spending of money. However, I've tried chasing EVO's & Scoobs in a T5/Omega and it just doesn't happen. Even with air support you have real problems.

What would you rather, the police spend £25K on an EVO and catch the little ***** responsible for stealing your pride & joy, or carry on trying to pursue them in Omegas & Volvos (carrying over 2 tons of equipment) and loosing them because we can't pursue the vehicle in a manner where we're not endagering the public.

I know which one I'd choose.......
Old 06 February 2001, 06:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm with Stuart on this one. Granted I'd prefer to see the money spent on improving the roads and driver education/re-education, but if it means that the gits who've nicked our cars get caught, banged up and fcuked in the showers by bubba, then I'm quite happy for them to spend the money on the EVO.
Lets hope that it does not go the way of a certain red scooby that a certain police force has

[This message has been edited by Markus (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 06:31 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Wink

Perhaps they bought a job lot as the Evo 7 is now out
Old 06 February 2001, 07:57 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Wink

Stuart,

can i suggest that the Police promote a "neighbourhood Scooby" scheme, whereby members of the Scooby public can assist in chasing said "little *****" on your behalf. All that we would ask for is five or ten minutes "questioning" once they were caught - and we probably wouldn't even charge for petrol

mb
Old 06 February 2001, 08:06 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Hi
The Police can have all the cars they want for me as long when they catch car theifs they don't
A) Let them go
B) Send them on holiday and then let them go
C) As above but with the inclusion of a GNVQ in motor vehicle and a job.
It p*sses me off so much when these people are trained to work on cars, not only is it then easier for them to steal the next car but they take jobs away from my trade!

Bob, honest, skilled body shop technician.
Old 06 February 2001, 08:21 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Talking

I like the additional blue and white spoiler on the roof

Seriously, I wonder how much difference it makes to the top speed - still good for 150mph I guess.
Old 06 February 2001, 08:53 PM
letdown
Scooby Regular

I thought the Police didnt/werent supposed to involve themselves in high speed chases? And especially with all the people who get killed/injured by a) the car been chased b) the Police car. What happened to those things they throw across the road!!! cheaper? more effective? no one gets hurt?............Just my opinion, I dont fancy putting on my flame suit tonight as the scorch marks are begining to chaff!!!

[This message has been edited by letdown (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 08:58 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Angry

Its not always the police at fault.

I agree with Bob. The courts should be doing more than letting offenders have holidays instead of something more appropriote.

You hear time & time again about persistent offenders but do they lock them up ? NO

Old 06 February 2001, 09:26 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I'm with Stuart on this as well.

i'm sure some of you lot would bleat and whine when a police T5/Omega etc couldn't apprehend your pride and joy.

Big deal, it's about £3k more than a T5.

Plus it'll make the little fvckers think twice.

Now if it was a Scoob, how many would be applauding................
Old 06 February 2001, 09:33 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The aggressively styled Evo VI has been specially equipped and adapted to comply with all Police requirements"

rumour has it that plod have converted the glove compartment into a mobile doughnut frier
Old 06 February 2001, 09:51 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Wink

A marked Evo is fine, but I can't help wondering how many will end up unmarked, and driving about tail-gating people on the motorway provoking innocent motorists into putting their foot down? Not that the police would do that, of course
Call me a cynic if you like

[This message has been edited by Leigh (edited 06 February 2001).]
Old 06 February 2001, 10:12 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Are they using octane?

Old 06 February 2001, 10:38 PM
Legacy GTB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Leigh,
Nobody says you HAVE to put your foot down when you get a tailgater. That's not defensive driving, it's every bit as foolish as the moron who is tailgating you. It's not going to hurt your image or your pride to pull over a little and let the spanker pass, probably to shunt the rear of some other car futher up the road. The road is a smart place to behave in a defensive fashion, not offensive.

I agree with Stuart about these sorts of cars being a needed response. Over here in New Zealand the Police patrolling the State Highways have at their disposal unmarked Nissan 200SX and at least one marked Legacy RS twin turbo down in Temuka (South Island).

Our Police force can not afford to keep air support at close call all of the time, so a car that can catch up to a low flying WRX or B4 is just the ticket, if you'll forgive the pun! Meanwhile, I try my hardest to keep roughly to our posted speed limit (most of the time, well some of the time ).

Does anyone know why the current model Legacy GTB does NOT have cruise control, when every other model in the range has it?
Old 06 February 2001, 10:52 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I totally support the Police having these sorts of high performance vehicles to catch scum.

What I don't understand is the use of expensive, "luxury" vehicles for this purpose. I keep seeing a BMW Touring (presumably 528i or similar) and a M-class Merc near my place. Ok, they need space for equipment but these two aren't cheap and can't be suitable for catching high-speed crims.

D.
Old 06 February 2001, 10:56 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with Stuart, not only are these cars needed for chases etc they must also be a great deterent.
Will the scum think twice with an Impreza or Evo in their mirror?

Stuart, do the police use turbo timers or do they just switch off after a hard chase?

Lee
Old 06 February 2001, 11:06 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

No turbotimers hence the turbos on the T-5's have been a little bit of a problem.

I've suggested it more than once though
Old 07 February 2001, 12:05 AM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

some questions (as i don't know myself): how many scoobs and EVOs are stolen each year? then how many of those that are stolen are the police in the right time/right place/been alerted to engage in pursuit with?

how would the police intend to use EVO pursuit cars to deter performance carjackers? is anyone doing a cost/benefit analysis to ensure that us taxpayers are getting value for money?

how often do the police tangle with professional car thiefs who are stealing to order for export? how often are they just tangling with joyriders? how often do they catch both sets of crims?

i just feel that that this whole thing is a bit of cop out (no pun intended) - it's treating the symptoms not the cause ("tough on the causes of crime" - now who said that?). it's easier to spend the money on fast pursuit vehicles than it is to spend money on clearing up and policing joyrider breeding zones and punishing the crims accordingly.

i could be entirely wrong - this might just work a treat and be just the sort of visibility that makes the amateurs think twice.

i hope it's the latter.

(shrugging shoulders).

Old 07 February 2001, 01:02 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by boomer:
<B>Stuart,

can i suggest that the Police promote a "neighbourhood Scooby" scheme, whereby members of the Scooby public can assist in chasing said "little *****" on your behalf. All that we would ask for is five or ten minutes "questioning" once they were caught - and we probably wouldn't even charge for petrol

mb[/quote]

ROTFLMAO Boomer

Old 07 February 2001, 01:05 PM
Devils Advocate
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by ed the dead:
<B>Police on the beat are the most ineffective and costly method of policing. [/quote]

Can't agree on that one, especially if the definition of 'Policing' is as per the Defined Primary Objective of an efficient Police Force.

Prevention is the Key! - Having a couple of lard ***** sitting in a car isn't efficient crime prevention!
Old 07 February 2001, 02:14 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

I suppose I should comment as I started this.

I support the cops in using Evos. They have always had a few decent motors like Cosies and Jags and scoobies. When you think about it an Evo is quite cost effective for the performence (Isnt that why so many of us buy them???)

The key to reducing crime is a complex mix of issues. Simply blaming the plod on the street is not on. You dont blame Nurses for the state the NHS is in (do you?)

IF someone nicks my sccoby then I want plod to have a motor to chase them in. And then I want them to be shot and thier family to be shot and anyone who knows them to be maimed.
Old 07 February 2001, 03:13 PM
matt_d
Scooby Regular

Surely the standard scoob is much better performance per £? Are there so many cars/drivers that can outrun a police-driven standard Scoob that they need to spend an extra £10k on an Evo VI? You could buy 15 scoobs for the price of 10 Evo VIs.
Old 07 February 2001, 03:30 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

So it's an EVO...

Remember the Lotus Esprit S4 from a few years ago? I'm sure there was a Porsche 968 in central London a while back, too.

Most of the time, deals are done to raise the profile of particular cars, and to gain some impact for the force also.

It may well be on loan. The police take many cars on for evaluation purposes, they don't always shell out for them though!

As far as police Astras go...Do you know how f*cking shagged most of them are?

And as far as letting criminals go on holiday, etc - Don't you think the coppers responsible for catching most of the SCUM are sick to f*cking death of picking them up for the same offence the very next f*cking week? For some bleeding heart "Horse & Hound" reading liberal to ask them politely not to do it again...

Why rant?

My dad is one of the boys in blue, and is still off work on anti-depressants enduring post-traumatic stress. The next time you whinge about being fined for speeding or mispacing your number-plate, remember that same copper may have to try to give mouth to mouth to revive dead children in the dark of night on his own coz some sick f*ck decided to take them with him.

Old 07 February 2001, 03:32 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

(Sigh)

Sorry...Bad day

Quick Reply: Police get an Evo