STI buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2009, 08:16 PM
Abbos
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI buying advice

Evening all,

I've had enough of driving around in sensible family cars and have decided to buy something with a bit more grunt like I had many moons ago.

I'm set on buying a classic impreza wrx sti but I have a limited budget or about £2700.

I've been doing lots of reading but am still trying to find out what the main differences are between the other models and the sti apart from cosmetic. I know some of them are but where can I find a more comprehensive list or comparison?

Also, can anyone confirm if they did a UK sti model as from reading it seems that the imports generally have more grunt.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06 January 2009, 08:47 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

have a look at this thread

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ily-drive.html

there is a similar question there. For me STi is the way forward. The bhp is only one of the differences. You can tune WRX's to be as fast etc but there is loads more to it.
Have a look at the above thread, should help clear things up.
Old 06 January 2009, 08:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was no official sti version in the UK as such (ie 1-6) but we did get the 22B (well outside your price bracket) and P1 (also well outside your price bracket).
Now in truth, for your money you wont be getting a good STI you may be better with either a decent, clean example UK turbo and mod it slightly (probably the best option) or a WRX import.
I would also hold a good 1k in reserve for servicing and any bits the car WILL need, because it will need something!

Tony
Old 06 January 2009, 08:51 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I would also hold a good 1k in reserve for servicing and any bits the car WILL need, because it will need something!

Tony
I second that
Old 06 January 2009, 08:54 PM
Abbos
Scooby Newbie

Excellent, thanks for the link to the other post and also the "savings" advice.

Maybe a silly question but would I be better off spending a bit more, say £1k knowing that I'll get a better car with less risk of it needing money thrown at it?

I'm happy with the look of the standard sti but am more interested in spending on performance mods.

Also, is it hard to tell the difference between a replica and genuine sti as there seem to be a few with "sti styling" but are not genuine sti's?

Thanks again
Old 06 January 2009, 08:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

no matter what car you buy, it will need something doing to it, its a common rule of buying a second hand car, always put some money in reserve for the unexpected

Right you need to have a look here Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | SidcFaq / SIDC FAQ and look under japanese production runs for the model codes, they are normally stamped on the plate in the engine, the code depicts what the model is, year etc

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 06 January 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06 January 2009, 09:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

performance1000 : SUBARU IMPREZA STI 1996 280 BHP ,,,,RED TOP
Now above is a prime example of a piston head car, it looks ok.... or does it?
To me the doors look out of place, the gap between them is too big, so you have to know what your looking for, and the bootlid seems a little... well this is the sort of car thats falling into your price range, just becareful what you go looking at! there are 2 types of car out there, crap and good, the crap ones are just a money pit and the good ones will still cost you, just not as much

Tony
Old 06 January 2009, 09:36 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I know prices are plummeting and the older version Imprezas are now genuinely getting old but you have a very low budget for a high performance car so whatever you buy will likely need some work.

For a mint STI, even an old one, I would say a more realistic price is around £5-£6k. You can get them cheaper but they may have had a slightly harder life.

For £2-3k you could probably get a good project car, or set your sights lower at, as mentioned above, a lower spec Impreza like a UK Turbo.