Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When buying what do i look for?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2008, 11:12 AM
gilbo 99
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When buying what do i look for?

Hi, im looking into buying a scooby tubo 2000 and dont know too much about them atm, so i was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on what to look out for when buying one are there any ways of testing for a dud or testing to see if the car is about to blow up? thanks alot
Old 29 November 2008, 12:52 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert on classics, but the usual checks would be to look for smoke on start up and hard acceleration. At this time of year, you'll get lots of steam in the cold weather, so don't confuse this with oil smoke.

Get as much service history as you can as this is important. Check it idles smoothly and no nasty knocking noises. The flat 4 will sound like a misfire, but don't worry about that.

If it has been modded, make sure they've been done properly. Ask on here if you're not sure about anything.
Old 29 November 2008, 05:08 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont rush out and buy the first one you see, take your time and look for one with low mileage and subaru service history. When you go to view a car, turn up unexpectedly so seller has not prewarmed the car up. On first start up you will be able to hear for piston slap, and other problems such as trouble turning over ect. On test drive listen for rattles inside and outside the vehicle and that there is no obvious faults with brakes/suspension. I personally would not for a car that is heavily modded, as you dont know how its been treated and how hard it has been driven.

Good luck
Old 02 December 2008, 04:54 PM
gilbo 99
Scooby Newbie

thanks guys, ill keep this information in mind when i come to buying one, i take it the cars will need top notich plugs oil fuel etc? cheers.