Sponsored by:

Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 10:30 PM
rubinho
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I buy it?

Hi all, I'm new around here and very much wanting to start my Scooby ownership.

I am after some advice...

I went to go and see a lovely, red, blob eye WRX Wagon on a 05 54 plate with 29k miles today. Ran very nicely and all the bits worked. Its sticker price was £6495 private sale. When I got home, I ran an HPI expecting all to be clear but it came up a category D insurance write off. I rang the garage who was servicing it at the time and they tell me that it was due to water damage (flood). The current owner says he knew nothing about it ("HP what?" he said). The problem happened in June 07 and he bought the car in September 07 and has been driving it around with no problems since then. He's since let the price drop to £5000. Nothing in the interior suggested water damage but I am kicking myself for not having a better look under the mats. I'm currently in a bit of a quandry; on the one hand it's a hell of a lot of car for £5k but on the other I'm really scared of buying something that's going to give me a world of pain (and this is coming from an ex-Alfa Selespeed owner so I must be a glutton for punishment)! My next step is to call the garage that last serviced it to see if they noticed anything.

Obviously everything must be considered on a case by case basis but is there any experience (good or bad) in the forum of ex-flood damaged Imprezas? Is it a "wouldn't touch it with a bargepole" on principal?

I'd really like to garner some opinions.

Thanks all!
Old 27 November 2008, 10:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt personally. I have dealt with a lot of salvage and Im not afraid of a repairable/repaired car, but there are three things that Id avoid at all costs: electrical fire, cars that have been upside down and cars that have been flooded.

That aside, the original asking price was high for an all good car in the current climate.

Simon
Old 27 November 2008, 10:40 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SIAL anyone?

If it's been repaired properly there shouldn't be any issue. But even for 5K I wouldn't consider a cat D at all. Just walk away mate, plenty of other bargains out there atm for similar money and not cat d's.
Old 27 November 2008, 10:46 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Think about when you want to sell - most people will not consider a write-off, whatever the category.

You will have difficulty selling, at any price.

There are so many about which have no issues and desperate to sell (you are 1 buyer chasing about 100 Scoobies) that there is absolutely no reason at all to accept anything less than perfect.
Old 27 November 2008, 10:46 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a similar situation recently. Spent a while looking then found a semi decent one.

Fortunately my offer was rejected, and i went on to find a perfect car for less money on the same day.

If your worried enough to post, you will worry when you own it. Wait another few weeks and something perfect will pop up and youll be 1000% happier.

Im talking only the psychological approach to a potentially problematic car.
Old 27 November 2008, 10:49 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

i'd walk away from it, if you do get electric gremlins in the future it could be a nightmare.

besides, its in the wrong colour
Old 27 November 2008, 10:54 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8
I wouldnt personally. I have dealt with a lot of salvage and Im not afraid of a repairable/repaired car, but there are three things that Id avoid at all costs: electrical fire, cars that have been upside down and cars that have been flooded.

That aside, the original asking price was high for an all good car in the current climate.

Simon
upside down/flooded/electrical fire, jeez simon you told me it only had the stereo knicked

Old 27 November 2008, 11:04 PM
rubinho
Scooby Regular

Great response, thanks!

On balance, you've all told me what my head's been saying all along. Walk away! It's my heart that has the problem. My Alfa had so many electrical gremlins it almost drove me clinically insane The prospect of having to go through all that again with another car is unthinkable. Thanks for setting me straight

Next question: anybody want to recommend me a good blob eye WRX without silly miles (<40K) for not silly money. I'm thinking based on this:

that I can get what I want in the ~£6K bracket. I'm going away for the weekend but I want to get hunting afresh next week. I must sort out a new car before driving my girlfriend's Smart sends both me and her !
Old 27 November 2008, 11:25 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

if its a WRX your after, what about this one?

Auto Trader UK - SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX TURBO

Nothing to do with me, just did a wee search on autotrader

Graeme
Old 28 November 2008, 08:37 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G.Mac
if its a WRX your after, what about this one?

Auto Trader UK - SUBARU Impreza 2.0 WRX TURBO

Nothing to do with me, just did a wee search on autotrader

Graeme
ooh a white one, nice

and someones already put an STI8 spoiler on it too
Old 28 November 2008, 09:51 AM
Rorschach
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt repaired good or not there are a lot of cars with clean history out there
Old 28 November 2008, 10:03 AM
rubinho
Scooby Regular

Yes, that white one's pretty sweet. Should have mentioned I'm more interested in Wagons than Saloons. I've been doing lots of Autotrader and eBay searches, asked the question just in case there were some on here looking for new owners. I'll keep an eye on the Cars for Sale forum here.

You've all been very helpful. Good forum this!