Sponsored by:

Deals on new P1s

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2001, 03:11 PM
sw_hunt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm seriously thinking of a new P1. Dealers seem to be quoting £30,500 and wanting £1500 for brakes etc. This seems way too much, especially bearing in mind there are 28 used P1s for sale at Uk dealers alone. Whatever happened to supply and demand? Or am I being conned?
Anyone paid significantly less than this or got any good ideas?
I don't fancy an ex-demo as they will have all been tharashed before being run in.
If I can't get a better deal, I might go for an EVO 6 because at least I'll not feel ripped off.
Old 27 January 2001, 04:37 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

I was looking into getting a P1 recently. The best deal I was offered was £29,000 OTR. This is for a brand new, unregistered car. No part-ex.

It was going to be my new company car, but I decided against it due to the amount of tax it would have cost me when it all goes emissions based in 2002.

As for the Evo 6, this is what I've ended up with, and I'm very happy with it. The other good thing about the Evo is that there are no official emissions figures for it. On this basis, the company car tax is then based on engine size. Bottom line is that I will pay tax at the 25% rate for the next three years, instead of 35%

Andy.

[This message has been edited by Bagpuss (edited 27 January 2001).]
Old 27 January 2001, 05:27 PM
Bernmc3
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

Probably shouldn't be saying this as I'm trying to sell my P1, but...

There are just over 200 new P1's in the network. Dealers have recently been offered an 'extra incentive' to sell these cars, which is why they aren't buying 2nd-hand P1's at the moment. I'm not sure how much this 'incentive' amounts to.

If you must have a new one, negotiate hard. Problem is, dealers have gotten used to asking what they like for scoobies, and haven't got their heads 'round this negotiating lark... they don't seem to realise that the scooby bubble has popped!

I'd still go for a P1 over the EVO - P1 is a more balanced car, and a far better all-rounder (unless you use something else for the day to day driving). For around the same price, you're getting more for your money.

In case you're interested, my baby is for sale at £26995 (autotrader website), 5500miles, W2000 (May). And I promise it's been run in properly! New house and fierce wife force sale! Home email= bernard@bernmc.freeserve.co.uk
Old 27 January 2001, 06:33 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bagpuss

As you will know, the Evo is available as an official UK spec car now and will therefore have an emission figure to boot. Don't expect any exceptions from the taxman as there are no flies on him when it comes to taking your money!

Given the MPG figs some EVO drivers moan about, you can bet your *** that the emissions are on the high side of the upper ceiling of 265 g/km.

All we can do is be grateful that they are only 2 litre cars, as if you get a fuel allowance, there's a saving there.

Regards
Kurt
Old 27 January 2001, 06:40 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

You can certainly get the brake kit or opitonal 18" alloys in with the normal OTR price of £30,500 (with no trade-in). Circa £29K as standard if you have the money up front usually isnt a problem. My subaru dealer offered me the former deal.........(without any haggling!)
Old 27 January 2001, 08:58 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Kurt did you get your paintwork sorted tec.........please let me know.
Today quoted £28000 for a new P1
And oh yes my rear spoiler is now hangin off.
Old 27 January 2001, 10:09 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Angry

Kurt it would be very interesting to find out what has happened on the paint issue as i just got the technical bloke from subaru to take a look at mine and of course he thinks mine are due to road conditions and he is going to get PPG to make an independent report.
any advice most welcome.

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2001, 12:30 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Mr Angry

I think a lot of P1 drivers have driven the EVO 6 and then gone for the P1. I did and I had an RB5 WR before that so i do know there is a difference. The EVO 6 at my dealers sat on the forecourt for 10 months whilst 25 P1 went out of the fron door.

Ive got an S4 at the moment and its not going to stay on the driveway much longer. Cant say the EVO 6 even figures in my plans. I'd rather go back to a P1.

Jonathan
Old 28 January 2001, 11:29 AM
Mr_Angry
Scooby Newbie

Being a devout Imoreza owner there fore biased away from evo's have been looking at changing my car recently and in the last week have driven a P1 and an EVO6 and anyone who tells you that the P1 is a better alrounder than the EVO hasn't driven an EVO the P1 didn't feel that different to my RB5 to be honest (only light mods on my car exhuast filter brakes), but the EVO took my breath away like the first time I drove an Impreza, depending on the deal from Mitsubishi I'll be buying an ex demo EVO6 for £22,995 as opposed to the ex demo P1 for £27,995 there is NO comaprison to be made the evo blows the doors of the P1 and for 5 grand less!!! BARGAIN It hurts me to say this but that MY01 has driven me to trying the EVO and now its pulled me in!!!!
Old 28 January 2001, 01:01 PM
sw_hunt
Scooby Regular

Cool

I drove the EVO VI and then the P1 the next day. I rate the Evo's engine as better; less lag and it pulls a lot better in 5th at say 40 mph. I preferred the P1's handling though - a lot more adjustable - maybe less grip but it was a lot easier to feel a slide coming and to hold it rather than relying purely on outright grip. The EVO felt a bit artificial somehow, like a video game, wheras the P1 felt more connected and real. So for me it really came down to engine or handling and I choose handling.
I can understand the RB5 drivers not being too impressed with the P1 because the torque figures are about the same so it's not going to go much quicker.
I wasn't impressed by the P1's brakes though so I might go for the Prodrive brakes. Has anyone driven it with and without the Prodrive brakes? Does it actually stop any better or is it just about not fading on a track?
Oddly enough I thought the EVO rode better around town! All the press say that the P1 rides better - perhaps the difference is that they're talking about body control sort of ride and I'm talking about comfort sort of ride. If so, I'll go for body control any day.
Old 28 January 2001, 01:38 PM
Bernmc3
Scooby Newbie

And on the subject of brakes (P1 comes with standard STI fodder I think) has anyone had a chance to compare the Prodrive kit with AP's? Any idea of price difference.

I'm sure I'm going to win the lottery soon!
Old 28 January 2001, 02:11 PM
sw_hunt
Scooby Regular

I've been quoted 1527.50 for the Prodrive upgaded brakes for the P1. That's list price. Presumably ther'd be some discount?

[This message has been edited by sw_hunt (edited 30 January 2001).]
Old 28 January 2001, 07:06 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

I can completely agree with sw_hunt on the video game feel of the Evo 6 GSR. AYC may reduce oversteer and understeer, but it also makes it very difficult to tell where the limit is. If you overcook it, then be prepared for a big off, unless you react very quickly to catch it.

This is one of the major reasons I went for the RSX (apart from price). Without AYC (and ABS), you get a much lighter, more chuckable car, which lets you feel when things are about to get out of shape. It's so much more progressive, and you can power slide it too

Still, it's all horses for courses. I test drove the P1, the Evo 6 GSR and the RSX. In order of preference it was RSX, P1 and then GSR.

I must admit that I wouldn't want to be doing 20,000 commuter miles a year in the Evo, something which I'm sure the P1 would handle with ease. On the flip side, driving the P1 just didn't do it for me, whereas the RSX had me grinning from ear to ear.

Andy.
Old 29 January 2001, 10:13 AM
Anil Ootam
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I noticed (while driving past last night) that the Subaru dealership in Isleworth has a P1 on the forecourt for sale £29,995. W reg, not sure how many miles, or other options as I was driving past too quickly in my EVO to notice...

I've had dealings with the garage in the past and they seemed like top people.

Anil.