Sponsored by:

got caught speeding

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2008, 09:22 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got caught speeding

I just got caught apparantly speeding. 2 traffic police on bikes were standing with a gun. They said I was doing 54 in a 40. I asked to see the gun but they said they didn't have the speed on the gun as it clicked off. The officer said speeders are 10 a penny and he has no reason to lie. He said I was doing more than 54 but braked and was lucky to get 54.

I've been given a pink slip with 28 days to pay and take 3 points.

Am I right in saying they need to have caught it on the gun though?

Last edited by VAL113R; 19 November 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:25 PM
adz576
Scooby Regular

if they have no proof they cant do you apart from the fact you have just admitted speeding on a public forum which is never a clever thing to do
Old 19 November 2008, 09:27 PM
stistussy
Scooby Regular

how can they prove it? or is it what they say goes,in which case you could be lucky they didn't say you where doing 84mph.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:27 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

just take it and dont rock the boat they will win hands down trust me i havebeen a **** with them in my earliers to know when to take it.the way i see it is you know you had done more so take a step back and think yourself lucky.i have been caught at 3 figures on more than one occasion and was lucky to drive away from them so when i get stopped for 37 in a 30 i take it as i got away with the big ones.i have just taken one for doing 59 in a 60 as i was in my van!!rough with the smooth mate.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:30 PM
stistussy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adz576
if they have no proof they cant do you apart from the fact you have just admitted speeding on a public forum which is never a clever thing to do
can't he edit his post?
Old 19 November 2008, 09:35 PM
stistussy
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by flat4 to the floor
just take it and dont rock the boat they will win hands down trust me i havebeen a **** with them in my earliers to know when to take it.the way i see it is you know you had done more so take a step back and think yourself lucky.i have been caught at 3 figures on more than one occasion and was lucky to drive away from them so when i get stopped for 37 in a 30 i take it as i got away with the big ones.i have just taken one for doing 59 in a 60 as i was in my van!!rough with the smooth mate.
how do you get done doing "59" in a"60"?
Old 19 November 2008, 09:37 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Was the van limit 50, hence 59 in a 60 is actually an offence?
Old 19 November 2008, 09:44 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

when they get you and show you the gun
ask them if they calibrated the machine that morning
if not then ur safe!!
Old 19 November 2008, 09:44 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have taken what a speeding fine for under speeding 59 in a 60, i dontb get it.
Look if they cant proove with a print off that you were speeding then,,,,,dont pay the fine contest it. The courts do not take lightly on police coming up with hap hazard evidence, oh the gun clicked off, but we new he was speeding/ oh we forgot to get it calibrated. My neighbour is a barrister and she has told me that they use the better to take three points than go to court and risk more. It is a bullying tactic that the police/cps employ to make a kill and no paperwork by using these tactics. If its true what you say, make them prove it in court, and make sure you get all the calibration certificates. Good luck.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:46 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

As for the OP, take the hit and slow down.
or they'll have you again . . . and again . . . and again and find somewhere private to unleash the beast!
Old 19 November 2008, 09:47 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

as my listing states i was in the van and yes that is 50 not a 60 so had i of been in my car all would of been ok.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:49 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
Was the van limit 50, hence 59 in a 60 is actually an offence?
No its not, limiters are mainly put to safeguard the company and then the driver, and also a huge marketing exercise to show our drivers dont speed. 59 in a 60 is never an offence, it doesnt matter what the limiter is set at, as long as you are under the stated limit on the highway.
Old 19 November 2008, 09:58 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

look i dont want to end up in a slanging match here but i had a clean license a week ago i now have 3 points £60 fine photo evidence and an sp10 endorsment.look at the link and then sp10 and then tell me you know better.
Driving Conviction Code Information - Diamond Womens Car Insurance
Old 19 November 2008, 10:00 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

SP10 is the endorsement code for exceeding the speed limit in a goods vehicle IIRC?
Old 19 November 2008, 10:03 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

yes thats the one. hence speeding in my van.
Old 19 November 2008, 10:06 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Just as a reminder for people who don't know that vans have different limits (in most circumstances)

117-126: Control of the vehicle : Directgov - Travel and transport
Old 19 November 2008, 10:14 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

ian are you a mediator as well as a moderator haha.
Old 19 November 2008, 10:21 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IanW
Just as a reminder for people who don't know that vans have different limits (in most circumstances)

117-126: Control of the vehicle : Directgov - Travel and transport
Was just about to post that. I did a bit research a while back about how vans/goods vehicles have different limits as a result of a thread on here, and the fact my other half is a driver. He didn't know for sure that they had different limits, had never been told via work, but as it turned out, they do.
Old 19 November 2008, 10:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i think this was covered in an ealier thread

regarding what the police do and do not need as evidence for a speeding conviction

but on the face of it looks like a case of bending over and taking it like a man

especially as their were two police
Old 19 November 2008, 11:00 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Tell them YOU need evidence that you were speeding and they will most likely drop the case
Old 19 November 2008, 11:09 PM
Woosh!
Scooby Regular

Location: Never out of the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Looked on UTube some months ago and tests show hand held radar/lazer detectors aimed at a mound of earth gave speeds of 4-7 mph. If they aren't fixed and mounted on a tri-pod then they are not accurate.

Anyway you're ****ed as these pics of a police car round my way says it all.

Best of luck if you choose to fight it!

Sorry about the pics, the camera phone pics aren't the best.
Old 20 November 2008, 12:59 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

bad luck mate, touch wood i never got caught (even thugh im always at the speed limit)

wiley
Old 20 November 2008, 09:38 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VAL113R
I just got caught apparantly speeding. 2 traffic police on bikes were standing with a gun. They said I was doing 54 in a 40. I asked to see the gun but they said they didn't have the speed on the gun as it clicked off. The officer said speeders are 10 a penny and he has no reason to lie. He said I was doing more than 54 but braked and was lucky to get 54.

Last time i had something like this the Police tried it on refusing to show the evidence etc. I just ignored it and waited for the court date to come through... never did. As he said, they have a lot of people caught speeding and a lot of paperwork to do.

Worth waiting for 6 months then pleading guilty if you want or askign to see the evidence in court making a point you requested it at the roadside and told they didn't have any!

5t.
Old 20 November 2008, 10:13 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

The speed guns are tested before they go out i the morning, Its part of the process of being able to sign one out to do speed checks.
If the gun has not been tested and ticked off then it wont in the cabinet ready to go out.

There is no way of showing a certificate at the road side as its not physically attached to the gun.

You can risk the officers not turning up at court but to be honest if they are traffic officers court dates for speeding motorists are just part of the job.

The process file to get a non payer of the road side ticket really isnt that much work, infact the lion share of the work is done at road side in there note book.

Just one of those things, pay up and take the 3 points or risk it not working in court, Of course if you go to court and get found guilty 3 points is likely to be the minimum you will get.
Old 20 November 2008, 11:00 AM
Scooby Senior

i have just taken one for doing 59 in a 60 as i was in my van!!rough with the smooth mate.

Check the taxation class of the van on the taxdisc, some are down as PLG and not LGV so speeding rules differ
Old 20 November 2008, 12:50 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

look i dont want to end up in a slanging match here but i had a clean license a week ago i now have 3 points £60 fine photo evidence and an sp10 endorsment.look at the link and then sp10 and then tell me you know better.
Driving Conviction Code Information - Diamond Womens Car Insurance
whats one of these then ?

MS30 Playstreet Offences ??
Old 20 November 2008, 01:12 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VAL113R

If you know that you were speeding, take the 3 points offered. 54 in a 40 is actually quite a lot. Magistrates may take a dim view of it, depending on what the road/street is like and the weight of traffic at the time.

2 coppers plus a speed gun is probably 1 more than needed to get a guilty verdict in any magistrates' court. You'd then have to appeal their decision and take it to crown court.

Magistrates' courts are a filter in these cases. They deal quickly with low level offences and most likely will go with the flow dictated by the Police/prosecution at the expense of the letter of the law.

J.
Old 20 November 2008, 03:57 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

I was in court last week and speeders were getting £500 fines, £60 costs and between 3 and 6 points on their licence.

You can take advice from people on here or you can take proper advice from elsewhere. I know what I would do...
Old 20 November 2008, 05:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So if the Coppers are found to be right in court you get worst for questioning them.. but if you get found not guilty .. you just get to carry on.. seems a but unfair .. surely you should get something ?