MY01 WRX Bucket Seats or Sport Seats ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2001, 10:43 AM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everyone,

I need some advice as to which seats to go for.

I am presently in the process of ordering a new Silver (best colour with those headlights) WRX MY01 from Virgin cars. My present car is an MX-5. But which seats do I get ?

The demonstrator that I drove had the sports seats with side airbags, these seats seem ok to me. I have sat in a car with the much better looking bucket seats though I haven't driven in one, but they felt pretty tight. That's probably because I pretty big (6ft2ins,17 stone and 46ins chest.), I know, I know "who eat all the pies".

I was hoping everyone could give me their views on long distance comfort with what seats they have fitted, especially people as large as me!!

Also any MY01 WRX owners out there, what seats do you have fitted and how comfortable are they ?

Sorry for the length of the post. First time and all that.

Thanks

Old 20 January 2001, 01:34 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

I would also welcome opinions from anyone who has bucket seats fiited to their Impreza.
Old 20 January 2001, 09:34 PM
Bernmc2
Scooby Regular

I don't know what them buckets feel like - never been in them. The driver-side sport seat has a lot of adjustment, including squab angle, so you should be able to get reasonably comfortable. They are tight, but I don't think it'll be long before you're glad to have the extra lateral support - you're going to be going around those corners at one heck of a speed. Trust me - I'm a doctor!

I do find that I get a bit of lumbar pain and some sciatica on long journeys, but I'm not sure that things would be any different with buckets.

Why not be a cheeky lad and go to your local dealer, convince him/her that you're seriously considering buying from them, and take their demonstrator for a loooooong drive!

Personally, I'd grab a nearly new old shape car anyway!
Old 21 January 2001, 10:49 AM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Thanks Bernmc2,

The problem is my local dealer sold his only demonstrator after a week and isn't getting another for a couple of months. Don't think I'll be using them for any work, completely useless if you ask me. Other dealers demonstrators all have sport seats, no rally seats.

In regards to the seats, I thought your P1 and all turbos came with rally type seats ie bucket seats with holes in the top. I think the sports seats (with side airbags) are a completely new seat for the MY01, but I could be wrong. They look like the seats out of a Golf GTI.

[This message has been edited by Newbie123 (edited 21 January 2001).]
Old 22 January 2001, 01:28 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Wink

AFAIK the buckets are the same as in the MY00, and I never had any trouble with them. Very comfortable, even without lumber adjustment. However I am only 5'9" & 10.5st.

When I test drove the MY01 I was surprised to find the airbag seats very comfortable. If I was to buy one I'd have actually preferred them for the extra safety (having already escaped from a severe side-impact I may not be so lucky next time!). Ironically it is not possible to get the Wagon with these seats though!

The bucket seats will give better lateral support, which is useful if you want to throw the car around corners (which is what it wants you to do after all!). However if you felt that they were too tight then you'll be better off with the airbag ones.

Since you have to put up with having a really ugly car, you might as well be comfortable sitting in it!
Old 22 January 2001, 03:04 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I too find the lack of lumbar adjustment on the RB5 seats sometimes gives me some back pain on long journeys.

I fancy the electric recaro option, but its a bit pricey...
Old 22 January 2001, 03:55 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

Smile

just a bit of info re human size and the bucket seats.

I am bigger than you size wise and the seats are very comfy for me. Snug may be a word that sums it up. Plenty of support etc. I have not tried the new "sport" seats so I cant comment on those.
Old 22 January 2001, 04:32 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

I've tried both and prefer the buckets by miles. I'm 6ft4 and 17st. Maybe the sports seats would be better for somebody with a back problem, but then they would probably be better off with a different car anyway.
Old 22 January 2001, 06:23 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys,

I went to another dealer today and tried both seats. The rally seats actually get more comfortable the longer you sit in them,while the sport seats are the opposite.

I think the dealer must have thought I was staging some sort of sit-in protest.

So I've just ordered the rally seats, and tomorrow is the first day of my diet.

Right off to the pub then.
Old 22 January 2001, 07:49 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Evening all,

No i'm not a copper! I have recently taken delivery ov me brand new Impreza (Old style) and after nearly 3 years of saving up for the chuffing deposit I am a happy man. Remember when you got your first one?

Now then, my question to you all is a simple one.

Where do I start with regards to modifications. I don't want a car with 80 zillion bhp and a 0-60 time of sub zero also i'm not to fussed about sti/22b type spoilers. I use the car for work (It is all mine though!) and need to retain an element of style when I pull up a customers car park and park next to the MD's Jag.

Wheels seem to be the obvious place to start, but I feel a discreet back box coming on so that others can share that glorious sound. Any suggestions there would be welcome, again though I don't want to be waking the dead.

Any coments, give me a shout Cheers.
Old 22 January 2001, 08:24 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Had a test drive of the WRX estate with rally seats today.
They seats are indeed snug (similar dimensions to Dippy and comfortable...except my right side of the seat base which felt a bit hard...
Old 23 January 2001, 04:04 AM
tokyo_steve
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Newbie123:
[B]Hi everyone,

The demonstrator that I drove had the sports seats with side airbags, these seats seem ok to me. I have sat in a car with the much better looking bucket seats though I haven't driven in one, but they felt pretty tight. That's probably because I pretty big (6ft2ins,17 stone and 46ins chest.), I know, I know "who eat all the pies".

I'm a similar size and I didn't have a problem in the new style Japan model STI with the Recaro buckets. Go for them.

It was only a test-drive. I'll let you know more after delivery...

Side airbags are for wusses!

Steve

Old 24 January 2001, 03:58 AM
tokyo_steve
Scooby Regular

Just had a request to post this from an uregistered Scoobier.

To: "'steve@reddock.net'" <steve@reddock.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:48:02 -0000

Hi Steve,

Im not yet registered on Scoobynet - but i got my new WRX last weekend -
with the sports seats. Im 17.5 stone and 6ft2 and i found the buckets
dug into my ribs and lower shoulder! I could hardly breath after 30min
test drive. Having done 1000 miles now i'd say the sports seats are dead
comfy - although i got them done in Leather so maybe that helps. The
other point is that i'd have had to wait till May if i wanted buckets -
so it was a plus they didnt fit anyway!

Side buckets are for wusses but only when your not hit front-side on. A
lack of brain damage / head injuries tends to make you glad you've got
them!!!

Could you post my comments on the web? - im waiting for a password!!

James Douglas

Old 24 January 2001, 11:04 AM
Olaf
Scooby Newbie

I find the MY00 buckets some of the best seats I've ever had, though I'm not as big as you (14.5st). If they're too tight the side bolsters may push you away from the back of the seat & cause problems.

I've had a lot of back trouble & the one thing I'm sure of is that everyone's different. The long test drive is really the only safe way.
Old 25 January 2001, 05:17 PM
Bernmc3
Scooby Newbie

With regard to my original reply- sorry, mixed the two types of seat up! Just reverse the two, substitute k for x and multiply by pi-r-squared.

I'm off to flaggelate myself with birch twigs. Aaaaahhhhhh....
Old 25 January 2001, 08:02 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Hi there,
Drove the MY01 with buckets a couple of months ago. My first impression was that they did not (unfortunately) feel as tight as my MY00 seats. In addition they felt a little 'weak'. Try pushing your hands against the steering wheel, and the back of the seat will flex very easily.
Dropped by the dealer again 30mins ago to have another look at their demonstrator, and still have the same impression. I prefer the MY00 buckets.
(Only saw this thread when I got home, so I didn't use the opportunity to compare with the MY01 sports.)
Old 25 January 2001, 08:55 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

IMHO the WRX sports seats with side airbags are cr*p when compared to those in my MY00.

so much less support.

they were not uncomfortable but provided far less support thn i feel is needed and that i get in my scoob.

and the rally seats from April will not be a free upgrade !

i'm only 5'11" so maybe that makes a difference but i'd never buy them sports seats.

steve
Old 25 January 2001, 11:52 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

Thats fine steve - but do you way 17 stone like the guy who's asking the question?

No - well how can you say the seats are crap. Try mine and call them crap you ********

Only jokin!!!
Old 26 January 2001, 12:57 AM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

My best mates 5ft 8 and 16 stone - so your height isnt an indication of how big you are mate. Do you own the sports seats or are you just an oppinionated prat offering people advise based on no experience. The guy wanted advise from UK WRX owners and i gave him the advise. The sports seats are comfy if you are big like me, and the bucket seats i tested made it difficult for me to breath. Thats a FACT not some ranting "buckets are best" argument based on nothing. Jesus
Old 26 January 2001, 08:21 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

hi james

thats why i made it clear i'm only 5'11". and no i'm not 17" st although to close for comfort

still the seats are cr*p.

if your height / weight means the rally seats are no good for you then ok but the sports seats are not as comfortable / supportive IMHO.

there must be a decent 3rd party alternative?

steve
Old 26 January 2001, 08:42 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Angry

calm down m8

dont appreciate being insulted given what i posted was my opinion (based on my experience) of both seat styles and stated my size.

i've got a MY00 and the rate its seats very highly.

i've driven my dealers WRX and found the seats lacking in side support and far less comfortable than my MY00 seats. and thats also a fact :P

i made it clear it was my own opinion and understood height / weight of others would mean opinions would vary.

steve