08 STi PPP and reflash ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2008, 01:27 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 08 STi PPP and reflash ?

What's the news on PPP for 08 STi, not heard anything lately and can't get search on here to give results!

And when / how are we notified if the STi needs this safety ECU reflash ?

Ta

V
Old 10 November 2008, 01:30 AM
ghplumb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prodrive Performance Pack Impreza WRX STI 2.5 2008MY<br><br>
Old 10 November 2008, 11:00 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by vulnax999
What's the news on PPP for 08 STi, not heard anything lately and can't get search on here to give results!

And when / how are we notified if the STi needs this safety ECU reflash ?

Ta

V
I'm sure I have read that the ppp deals with the high rpm issue with the std map.
Old 10 November 2008, 11:30 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Ok, talked to Subaru dealer today. My sales guy, Jeff Borg has been assimilated to some where else ... so no wonder no replies to my calls / mails!

Christopher Neil, Northwich are not supplying new cars BUT do have a few to move ... maybe a good deal there.

They ARE doing accessory fitting and service work there, and welcome previous ( and I guess new ) customers for service or other work.

They told me the PPP was £1600 ( as link above says ) for Prodrive exhaust ( no idea what's different ) and remapped ECU - remap the current one with "std " Prodrive map. Gets the BHP and Torque quoted.
This should also fix any issues with the red line / over revving / fuel cut issue.

The reflash is really only needed for those who have had det alerts ( do we get these ?? ) or feel hesitation when driving hard at red line, not a feature of all STi 08's ... but will do it on request.

Any other options ( apart from Lichfields 360 hp option! ) to release engine power and torque, and preferably warranty friendly?
Old 11 November 2008, 12:46 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Ok, talked to Subaru dealer today. My sales guy, Jeff Borg has been assimilated to some where else ... so no wonder no replies to my calls / mails!
Liking the Star Trek reference there.

Christopher Neil, Northwich are not supplying new cars BUT do have a few to move ... maybe a good deal there.
Have Christopher Neil lost their Subaru Dealership status?
Was thinking of using them at somepoint as Holdcrofts have moved from Newcastle-Under-Lyme to Leek Road in Stoke.

Wasn't aware that the 08 STi's had a problem?

Luckily for me I'm sticking to my '03'.
Old 12 November 2008, 04:14 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Default STI 08 OWNERS BE WARNED

The reflash is really only needed for those who have had det alerts ( do we get these ?? ) or feel hesitation when driving hard at red line, not a feature of all STi 08's ... but will do it on request.
Neil,
For your info. As I PM'd you last week I'd booked mine in for the reflash. Over the weekend it went flat. I took it back to CN and was told to bring it in on Wednesday as planned. Dropped it off this morning for the reflash, should have taken 30min max but ended up leave there in a 56 1.5R wagon. Just spoken to them and the engine is coming out as I write and it's down on compression on a cylinder and it's only got 3.5K on it.

It showed no signs of any problems or hesitation prior to this. Drove the 11 miles to work getting 32 mpg no signs of an issue but as I drove out of the car park it went flat, part throttle on a cold engine nowhere near the limit.
Thanks,
Paul.

Last edited by Paul666; 12 November 2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12 November 2008, 04:18 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

my 08 sti is ok, its had a remap this morning it had before i had it mapped 1 boost spike causing fuel cut and it had retarded the timing 3 deg but other than that is mint

Trending Topics

Old 12 November 2008, 04:19 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Crikey, sorry to hear you've had a problem. Hard to believe Subaru have this seemingly random problem, I thought at least the mechanical reliability of these would be good. How many miles on you car before it broke?
Old 12 November 2008, 04:20 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Rob - you had it remapped for the known problem or for more power?
Old 12 November 2008, 04:23 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

more power and be safer than the crappy subaru factory map
Old 12 November 2008, 04:34 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I'm just in the process of deciding what to do with mine, due it's 10k service in late December/January and don't know whether to do PPP or something like the Litchfield upgrades. How's it driving with the remap, loving it?
Old 12 November 2008, 04:35 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lucky_strike
Crikey, sorry to hear you've had a problem. Hard to believe Subaru have this seemingly random problem, I thought at least the mechanical reliability of these would be good. How many miles on you car before it broke?
I've only put 3.5K on it since the start of May. I spoke to the salesman before I bought it about the stop sale in the US because of the engine problems they have had. He sent it to Subaru's UK tech department and they never came back. It looks like denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Old 12 November 2008, 04:49 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

I'm just in the process of deciding what to do with mine, due it's 10k service in late December/January and don't know whether to do PPP or something like the Litchfield upgrades. How's it driving with the remap, loving it?
personal opinion, but ppp aint worth it tbh. its and off the shelf map that has an average setting taken from a group of cars not unique to your car. Thats were the ecutek 3 comes into its own its based soley on your car and how you drive it.

330 bhp on ppp for £1600 not worth it unless you want warrenty off it

where as I had mine remapped today at 378bhp & 403lbft Torque and set to how i drive and its awesome no det, no knock correction on the ignition timing, not running lean at top end of revs.

also ecutek now has a feature like apexi where the mapper can control each cylinder individually for fueling so thats an advantage to cyl 3 lol

all i have fitted to mine is

aem cold air induction kit
full decatted H&S exhaust
Ecutek 3 Remap

was gonna do more but ran out of time

choice is yours really but thats my say
Old 12 November 2008, 04:52 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Paul - At least you've got a sense of humour about it, and you'll know everything should be ok once it's rebuilt/new motor. I suspect Subaru UK might be quite pleased they've not sold too many haha, keep my fingers crossed now then, can't believe it could be stopped by a reflash, if everyone without the new flash is a potential problem I'd have thought they would do a recall, ah well. But it does put some doubt into my mind for non-warranty remaps, but then again I know they take into account the issues, mmm too much thinking!

Sounds great Rob - very very tempting to do similar on mine... bet it shifts now

Last edited by lucky_strike; 12 November 2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12 November 2008, 05:02 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Lucky strike,
The thing that hurts most is that I'm stuck in their 1.5R wagon.

Rob84,
The AEM CAIK claims 36bhp but does it need a remap to work well or did it give you an improvement before that?
Old 12 November 2008, 05:05 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

no it doesnt need a remap it works very well before the remap and make the car pull alot more than standard, Its very noisey now mind. Andy said the airflow through the kit was very impressive and equally matched to my exhaust
Old 12 November 2008, 05:07 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Sounds great Rob - very very tempting to do similar on mine... bet it shifts now
oh yeah it certainly shifts on now well worth it
Old 12 November 2008, 05:15 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread this, when you say it's very noisey now - is this when driving hard, how's the noise on say a steady motorway cruise (just trying to work out if I will ever be able to talk to anyone about work when I'm driving through my bluetooth headset haha). Cheers.
Old 12 November 2008, 05:18 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

I should have said properly lol its noisey when giving it some stick but nice and quiet on a cruise, turbo whistle is nice and a bit of chatter when changing gear
Old 12 November 2008, 05:28 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Rob - I think you've just cost me a couple of grand, just the sort of real world feedback for 08 tuning I've been after. Thanks.
Old 12 November 2008, 05:44 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Rob - I think you've just cost me a couple of grand, just the sort of real world feedback for 08 tuning I've been after. Thanks.
me too!!!

Lee
Old 12 November 2008, 07:03 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Well, as you can see above, I was considering the ( Subaru Warranty / guarantee friendly ) PPP, but at £1600 for 30 hp was not too convinced. Also as said an average Map not custom to the individual car. Was / am probably going to use my usual mapper... same as Rob used! ;-)

PPP's OEM Cat left in place limits power and flexibility.

Sports cat / decat is better, no doubt with full exhaust to match.

The Lichfield offer does a sportscat and exhaust system and custom map ( and cold air kit ) for £2000 ...

Any others for the STi 08 tuning hardware out there.... ?

Decisions decisions ....

PS 5k on mine now, not booted too hard until last thousand or so but feels fine so far.

V
Old 14 November 2008, 06:44 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Had mine into Monks Heath Motors today,handbrake and investigation. did the reflash while it was in. Dont know if it was just in my head but defo feels smoother.

Lee
Old 26 November 2008, 07:53 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

supposed to sort out the lean issue at hitting red line often, and has been said to improve smoothness and pull in 2nd and 3rd gear!

Gonna get dealer to do oil, so will ask for map fix while in...
Old 26 November 2008, 11:09 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Question Who was the man ?

Originally Posted by rob84
no it doesnt need a remap it works very well before the remap and make the car pull alot more than standard, Its very noisey now mind. Andy said the airflow through the kit was very impressive and equally matched to my exhaust
Rob who mapped your car - Andy F ?

And thats an incredible 378hp ! Way up on the Litchfield upgrade kit, another +20bhp. Any reason why ?

Also any pics of the H&S exhaust - 4 or 2 pipe exit ?

thanks mate.

08Sti Spark Silver BBS Euro spec.
Old 26 November 2008, 11:35 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Default And..

Rob anybody uk side who stocks aem caik ?

And where did the bhp figures come from - rolling road or laptop assumption ?

asked in the best possible taste

Cheers
Old 27 November 2008, 07:32 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Apostle
Rob anybody uk side who stocks aem caik ?

And where did the bhp figures come from - rolling road or laptop assumption ?

asked in the best possible taste

Cheers
sumopower are AEM dealers

Picking up on a point earlier in the thread, open source mapping can also affect individual cylinder fueling aswell as individual cylinder timing.
Old 27 November 2008, 07:03 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Default STi 08 easy Tuning options

ABP motorsport in Crewe do the cold air kit too, £235, with around £50 fitting if needed.

Their exhaust is also a Milltek system, costs ( gulp! )

Decat (downpipe ??) £381
sports cat (downpipe?? ) £940
cat back system £763
and about £100 fitting... I hope the prices were for full systems not just downpipes..... and the 1 part system ... I'll need to get back in touch.

Lichfields £1700 + vat includes the full sports cat Milltek system, fitting and mapping ...so the exhaust can't be much over £1000 ????

{Paul, that £1295 +vat price ex Lichfield is for exhaust only, all places seem to say that if cat downpipe is fitted then remap is required. So good buy if they fit / map it too at £1699 + vat? }

H&S stuff available too, I'll post some spec & prices Now!

Decat downpipe £90
100 cell sports cat £450
2nd cat bypass pipe £90
Centre pipe £150
Quad exit back box £375 tailpipes rolled in and suit car very nicely, subtle noise not too loud but recovers that burble.
Erm, plus VAT and any P&P if mail order.

No need to remap if leaving OEM cat downpipe in place.
Fitting at H&S .. not sure, £75 - £100 a good guess.

Revolution look like they have a full system available any time soon, check their webby.

V

Last edited by vulnax999; 28 November 2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: add don more prices and items
Old 27 November 2008, 10:53 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Apostle
Rob who mapped your car - Andy F ?

And thats an incredible 378hp ! Way up on the Litchfield upgrade kit, another +20bhp. Any reason why ?

Also any pics of the H&S exhaust - 4 or 2 pipe exit ?

Try the H&S website, has link to Impreza 08 models. The quad exit exhaust is there, and looks like the bak bos has a silencer for each pair of pipes.

The extra 20 bhp etc .... Rob has decat system, Lichfields is sports cat system, may be slight difference in gas flow???
Old 28 November 2008, 08:29 AM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Lichfield list the full exhaust at £1299 + vat on their site. You can get the cat back system from Stan Palmer on e-bay for £575. MILLTEK SPORT EXHAUST SYSTEM - 2008 IMPREZA 2.5 STi UK on eBay, also Exhaust Components, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 24-Dec-08 11:54:34 GMT)

ABP motorsport in Crewe do the cold air kit too, £235, with around £50 fitting if needed.

Their exhaust isalso a Milltek, costs ( gulp! )

Decat (downpipe ??) £381
sports cat (downpipe?? ) £940
cat back system £763
and about £100 fitting... I hope the prices were for full systems not just downpipes..... and the 1 part system ... I'll need to get back in touch.

Lichfields £1700 + vat includes the full sports cat Milltek system, fitting and mapping ...so the exhaust can't be much over £1000 ????

H&S do stuff too, I'll post some spec & prices later

Last edited by Paul666; 28 November 2008 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 08 STi PPP and reflash ?