Sponsored by:

Moving sh*tly parked cars?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2002, 05:52 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

So tell me people are you actually allowed to move a car if it's obstructing your access to the road?
I came out this morning to get me scooby out the garage, which is situated at the back of 2 houses, only to find sum muppet had parked their crud fiat half way across the entrance to the drive. ARGH . I tried the drive gar up to it hoot the horn (repeatedly) followed by knocking on all the neighbours house to see if they were the guilty party.... Nowt as a result. One of em said aren't you allowed to shove it out the way if it's an obstuction? I was miffed & wood have happily run the feker over with a tank if available! Anyway it did actually sound vaguely familiar that i had seen sumin similar posted on here b4 so i fort i'd ask the question in the absence of search? The constant joke that is me old dears lada, yeah yeah i take the **** so u might as well, was available 4 for pulling detail if required. However as it happens & with a lot of help (& skillfull driving) from the postie i was able to sqeeze between the car & the tree but not sumin i was that fond of doing & i reckon i'd of felt an urge 2 batter the other car if i'd damaged me paintwork! Anyway left a post-it note sayin learn 2 park! but not being too abusive actually (aint i restrained).
So just wanted to check where u stand legally with such a situation if you were 2 drag the car out the way?
Cheers
Si
Old 13 February 2002, 05:56 PM
Luke
BANNED

I think not....
Old 13 February 2002, 05:57 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

A few years ago I was thinking of having a dropped kerb put in to allow me to use my front garden as a driveway. I was told then by the council that if a car parked in the street across the dropped kerb blocking access to my drive then the police would be able to move it. Don't take this as gospel as it came from the council bod not the police and anyway if your access isn't on the public highway it may not apply

Sal
Old 13 February 2002, 06:17 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

well the driveway is between 2 houses so it goes straight onto the road so it is only blocked by people parking across this as there's walls either side so there is only one way onto her majesties fine tarmac from such a location & there are white lines painted going out from this gateway to show where you can park without causing a problem, although i think these weren't actually painted by the authoritiesas thewy are only thin but still no excuse really. NB it is a dropped kurb
So im not talkin about breaking into the car merely pulling it out the way but only the police r theoretically allowed to do this then?
Si

[Edited by scooby_si - 2/13/2002 6:17:53 PM]
Old 13 February 2002, 06:21 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who cares whether your allowed to??

Someone did it to me so I moved there car with my large trolley jack... front near a tree and my back bumper within 6"...

Left it there all afternoon..

F)ck wit never did park like that again... Shame it was our old next door neighbour

Sods law says you would get arrested though..

David
Old 13 February 2002, 06:36 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Phone the Police and they will have it removed for you.
(saves you getting into any hot water)

Alternatively, if you know anyone with a 2 tonne fork lift truck, you could shift it yourself
(um... joking BTW)

Really annoying when people do that.

Rich
Old 13 February 2002, 06:41 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Car parked illegally in Bike Bay...

Traffic warden happy to give ticket but no towing away...

"Some bikers" bounced the car into the middle of the road...

Car now an obstruction...

Traffic Warden on radio & tow-truck had it away inside 20 mins with police supervision

Just recounting a story...

Trending Topics

Old 13 February 2002, 06:51 PM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

I got blocked in by some unsympathetic (or stupid) neighbours (when I had the Rover 214SEi - so no Impreza jealousy to blame!) a few years back. Phoned the police - they took the reg, and said all they could do was phone the owner and ask them to move it. Beyond that they couldn't do anything, as it wasn't causing an obstruction to a public right of way (just my car )

I waited half an hour and nothing happened, tried knocking on house doors and got ignored (it was a Sunday morning at 9am ) and ended up using my car to push the car behind out of the way All the tyres on both cars were straight, so no turning movement, so no bumper scratches... A bit extreme but hey, I had somewhere I had to be...

Richard
Old 13 February 2002, 08:52 PM
mole
Scooby Regular

Wink

Save up about £150, go to man selling old Landrover, buy old Landrover and keep in garden.

When @rseh0le parks in way, hook on strop or chains and select low ratio...problem gone away!!

This also doubles as a means of revenue during the winter snow when all the Vitaras and Voxalls are STUCK..LOL.

No road tax on old LRs, Insurance about 12 Shillings and sixpence.

Good luck, and dont be so nice, the @rseh0les aint thinking of you are they?

Moles Dad.
Old 13 February 2002, 08:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yeah baby sounds like a cunning plan
Aparently footsteps of a woman were herd running from the scene...
While i wood hate 4 any1 2b late 4 anything that includes me foremost so can all dumb *** women who can tell the time as well as they can park please keep out my way
NB not being sexist just stating facts now lol
Si
Old 13 February 2002, 10:06 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

My company has a private underground car park at our office in Brighton centre leading on to a public road. People are always parking in front of it making it impossible to get in and out, so every time I see a car parked out side (no matter for how long) the first thing I do is ring the local Police. Legally I was told, if you move it your self by force and cause damage the owner can sue. You might say it's over kill but it’s my job to make sure it does not happen. I almost got flattened once by a lorry driver because I called him a pr1ck and told him that the police are on their way and he has been reported. I almost crapped my self, he looked a lot smaller in his cab!!

Darren
Old 14 February 2002, 06:56 AM
B4 Boy
Scooby Regular

Get some A4 stickers made (hi-tak) that read

Thanks A$$hole

After they've finished scraping the 1st sticker off their windscreen the'll think twice about doing it again!!
Worked well with our old garage!!
Old 14 February 2002, 09:26 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I wouldn't move it, or touch it, you can get done for attempted theft...well,in Scotland anyway

Scoty

[Edited by Scoty - 2/14/2002 9:27:05 AM]
Old 14 February 2002, 09:31 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

I've heard the cops should come and move it if its obstructing your access to your property
Old 14 February 2002, 10:53 AM
Elvis Presley
Scooby Regular

Here's a story that is a little (a lot) off topic but may put a smile on a few faces anyway.

A few years ago we had a load of gypos camped right outside our company offices on private land. Police wouldn't move em and we had a big visit that afternoon.

Got company helicopter to buzz gypos sending anything that wasn't tied down flying. Even the caravans were shaking aand almost turning. Gypos were well pissed but couldn't do anything. Helicopter stayed there for over half an hour whilst they packed up their stuff and left. Wouldn't even give em a break to collect their stuff. Just stayed there buzzing em!
Old 14 February 2002, 02:30 PM
julianmummery
Scooby Newbie

How about clamping them and making a bit of cash at the same time.
Set up a small sole trader company and buy a clamp, when someone parks illegily (and that's what it is because they are blocking access to your property) you can clamp the sods. Leave a note with a mobile number and when they contact you make em wait a couple of days. You can certainly do it on double yellow lines but I am not 100% about driveways.

When it happened to me a fews years ago I called the police and they called up a traffic warden who found out that the driver was disabled but lived about a five minute walk away, weird. Anyway he gave me an option, he said that he would get them to move it straight away but would I like him to put a fine on the car aswell. Course I said 'To right' because I was late for work already, anyway he went off then came back 15mins later with the keys. Apparently the woman asked the traffic warden to move the car. If that was me I would have told them to move it or get it towed away!!! disabled or not they should not take the pi*s.

If you wouldn't like it done to you then don't do it to other people.
Old 14 February 2002, 04:11 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I realise you're joking , but you can't clamp people on property that isn't yours.

valve caps are easy to remove, aren't they?

Nick.
Old 14 February 2002, 05:53 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Remember they new they should not park there... They come back and you have touched their car etc.... Maybe they get upset and "Damage your car /house" etc. Better to do something that they wont detect for a day or two...leaves you out of the frame!!
Old 16 February 2002, 10:07 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

A cut nail under each wheel me thinks works wonders !!!

Not that i would do such a thing !!!!!!!!!!!!

Huxley
Old 17 February 2002, 02:33 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

Si, I had a guy try to drag my AlfaSud out of his parking space once, my mistake I might add, using a tow rope tied to his car, a Bristol, classy or what. He didn't under a physical threat.

By the way, are you Ali Gee's relation, you sound like him if that's possible on a web site.
Old 17 February 2002, 09:33 AM
spurner
Scooby Regular

Not that the car was illegally parked; but in college a few of us picked up a mini and jammed it tight-as between 2 trees. I don't know how he got it out though.
Old 17 February 2002, 10:19 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

We is chilled init mind me m8 has sum good sensi. Aiight
Buyakashaan! lol.
Si