Sponsored by:

Opinions Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2008, 01:42 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions Needed?

Afternoon all just after some advice please. I have just fitted 2 new Toyo t1r tyres to the rear of my classic (around 4 weeks ago) and I am getting 2 new tyres for the front tomorrow but I am not sure what is best as the toyo t1r's feel well a bit scary in the wet I can feel the back end sliding, just wanted advice on what to buy as I will be putting the toyo's on the front and my new tyre on the rear any suggestion's on what tyre will perform best in the wet and dry and what is the best tyre and size for me to buy HELP PLEASE .Thanks in advance
Old 05 October 2008, 02:05 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My personal opinion is that mixing tyres tyres front/rear on a 4-wheel drive car is best avoided, as the ability of each wheel to offer equal grip/drive is fundemental to the benefits of the system. When I bought my classic it had mixed tyres which, dependent on conditions, could result in understeer at the front or fish-tailing on the rear.
In your shoes I would probably ditch the Toyos (I have just dumped 4 half worn T1Rs because they just didn't grip well enough) and fit Goodyear Eagle F1s. The general concensus is these are the best tyres wet and dry for a classic on standard rims. They are the best I've had on my car but the tyres are still the weak link, but from here the only choices are road legal trackday tyres or bigger wheels to get more rubber on the road. At the moment I can't justify that cost.
If you can't face dumping nearly new tyres then you should get 2 more Toyos for the front. As a set they are not a bad tyre (better than the Bridgestone SO3s I had before, on the road anyway).
If you have bigger rims perhaps someone else has better suggestions.
Kevin
Old 05 October 2008, 02:08 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

T1 R's do feel slippy for the first few 000 miles but soon come good, I find mine to be great in the wet.
Old 05 October 2008, 06:22 PM
scooby0809
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the toyo t1s and found them good in the dry and ok but safe in the wet,so went and got the toyo t1r set of four both times and as soon as they went on i new they were not for me! i stuck with them as i cant afford to ditch new tyres!so much for the stiffer wall over the old t1s they felt like driving on jelly moulds and crap dry weather grip! the edges went in the end as they rolled all over the shop on the rims! i would have loved to try the verdistien ultrac's but was not feeling flush, so went with the yoko prada spec 2's all four for £285 fitted and straight away the car felt sharp again!was instanly pleased and the dry weather grip is miles better than either toyo and the wet easily on par!very pleased with them, if you can get the t1s then i might give them ago again,only if i could not get the prada's but would not fit any more of the t1r's to a wheel barrow!hope that helps luke