Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Driving on the limit

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2001, 02:03 PM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering a driving course, aimed for Imprezas, or other AWD cars.

Problem is my car is in HK which rules out track days, and I think on Don Palmers Wetter the Better you drive your own car (is that true?)

Are there any alternatives? I know there are several 'rallyschool' courses available, but not sure how that would help in realworld on-the-limit scenarios.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 22 January 2001, 06:44 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy

It is true, you DO use your own car on wetter the better...

The trouble is, there is isn't anything that I can think of that is aimed at real world driving rather than "rallying" / "racing", etc, and they don't in any way touch the actual art of limit handling to the same level.

tricky.

I know some people have hired cars to do wetter the better in.

good luck

Simon
Old 22 January 2001, 07:41 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy

I might be just the man you are looking for!
I run a company called Performance Drivers and can offer a wide range of tailor made courses from advanced road to gp a rally. The good thing is that I run a ProDriver course that provides half a day on the road followed by an afternoon on a tarmac rally stage. Best thing is you get to use my Impreza and not yours. Call me on 07971-863892 for details or e-mail your contact number on performancedrivers@btinternet.com

This course is ideal for you and provides a serious but enjoyable learning experience. Price is £299 for the day and includes hotel lunch and conference facilities. Groups of 4 required for each day.

Regards Mike@PD
Old 22 January 2001, 07:57 PM
CB1
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I have done various driving days from Rallying to Milbrook to Brands and in all manor of cars (single seaters, AWD, FWD and RWD).

I would say that each and everyone of them taught me something that I could apply to the road to make me a better and safer road driver.

However, if you are looking as a one off. I would suggest you look at one which will allow you the opportunity to reach a cars limits and go over them. It was not until I did this that you realise that once a car goes, BOY it goes.

Don Palmer for that is good. If you don't have your own car, one of the best days I had was at the Mansell School of Motoring at Brands Hatch. Super trial Bronze is the one to go for as you get 12 timed laps at the end in a Single seater (great to slid, bit of opposite lock, correct then back on the power......oohhh feels like yesterday).

Hope my ramblings have helped.

Enjoy
CB
P.S. There is also the Supercar day. Advert for it in most car mags. Get to drive a 355, Porsche, Viper and Elise. Not done it, but am told it is the business about £299 I think