Sponsored by:

A-Plan Insurance rip off

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2008, 10:48 PM
sti_scott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-Plan Insurance rip off

Wife has her FTO insured with A-Plan and today she rang up to tell them she has put a private plate on her car and they had cheek to charge her £15 for changing it.

What a rip off has anyone else had the same off them
Old 13 September 2008, 10:50 PM
sti_scott
Scooby Regular

Sorry for second post when i posted this i got an error message so did it again and now they are both here
Old 13 September 2008, 10:52 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti_scott
Wife has her FTO insured with A-Plan and today she rang up to tell them she has put a private plate on her car and they had cheek to charge her £15 for changing it.

standard admin charge and a-plan have always been good with me
Old 13 September 2008, 10:55 PM
Wulsey
Scooby Regular

Im with A-plan mate & cat say a bad word about them & to be honest i dont think £15 is out of this world is it?????
Old 13 September 2008, 11:00 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

£15

Thats nothing compared to what i was quoted from Direct Line - £43
Old 13 September 2008, 11:01 PM
sti_scott
Scooby Regular

not saying it too much but no other insurance company charge she will be changing insurance company plus when i had my type-r for the 2 years they never sent me my policy only cover note I had to ring up and ask for policy I think they are s**t
Old 13 September 2008, 11:03 PM
sti_scott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steviem
£15

I am with direct line and they didnt charge me anything for changing reg that was only 3 weeks ago
Old 13 September 2008, 11:11 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

not saying it too much but no other insurance company charge she will be changing insurance company plus when i had my type-r for the 2 years they never sent me my policy only cover note I had to ring up and ask for policy I think they are s**t

ive had to do that before as well but didnt really bother me, i find a-plan cheap and a lot better than nearly all the others
Old 13 September 2008, 11:18 PM
dazzlers82
Scooby Regular

i agrre with most of the other posts a plan are a very respectable company done me a good deal on my second car an also a great deal on the scooby an £15 is nothin considering they will have to spend time changing it on there system plus sending you a chang of policy
Old 13 September 2008, 11:18 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think mine was more than that. They have pushed their luck with me too far, and I'll never use them again.
Old 14 September 2008, 02:28 AM
Baker
Scooby Regular

dazzlers82
i agrre with most of the other posts a plan are a very respectable company done me a good deal on my second car an also a great deal on the scooby an £15 is nothin considering they will have to spend time changing it on there system plus sending you a chang of policy
Although Ive heard good things about them, when you think about it £15.00 is a complete rip off and just another way they make money.

Really dont agree with these companies making a decent bit off money off changing one detail, which surely would not take a lot of time or effort to change.
Old 14 September 2008, 07:19 AM
p1junkie
Scooby Regular

tbh that is a reasonable charge for changing policy docs contacting underwriter etc not being funny prob at least half hours work what with the orig tel call etc so after all its a business and time does cost money why should it be free
Old 14 September 2008, 08:01 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Likewise with Esure, changed mine last week and no charge.

I am with direct line and they didnt charge me anything for changing reg that was only 3 weeks ago
Old 14 September 2008, 08:06 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

direct line no charge, that was 2 weeks ago.
Old 14 September 2008, 10:09 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1junkie
tbh that is a reasonable charge for changing policy docs contacting underwriter etc not being funny prob at least half hours work what with the orig tel call etc so after all its a business and time does cost money why should it be free
Nah, I'm not buying that. 2mins on phone (max) and done on a computer. Rest of the process should be automated and then it's the price of printing/post £5 max imho
Old 14 September 2008, 10:46 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

A-plan saved me £200 over any other quote i had,and a change of reg will involve work on thier side that the standard quote didn't cover.I think it's fair.
Old 14 September 2008, 10:58 AM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Must get back on to them. Have to say tho that it was in Janurary of this year i contacted them. They must have changed there policy

Cheers for that
Old 14 September 2008, 11:04 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I can't fault them, their quote was very good and I always get straight through to a very helpful English advisor when I call. That's what I want from an insurance company.
Old 14 September 2008, 11:07 AM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

I to agree i have been with Aplan on my last 2 cars yes there alaways best on price thats good.But charging £15 to change to a private plate.

NOW thats just stupid stupid stupid i dont care how good they are whats it going to take all of 1 minute to change on there system... now if they asked me to cover costs of postage for the new paper work thats fine But thats not £15 pounds.
Old 14 September 2008, 11:12 AM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you pay a large amount of money for a cosmetic private plate , you pay £80 to the government for the privilege of swapping it over but you moan about £15 to A-Plan for them changing over your insurance policy details for you . You don`t make sense mate . Its not compulsory to put a private plate on , it was your choice . So in the grand scheme of things in the process of putting a purely poser plate on whats £15 ?. If that bothers you get a push bike , you don`t even need insurance or to put a private plate on it and think of all the money you`d save .

A-Plan are spot on in my experience of dealing with them over many years. We have 5 cars insured with them and the service is superb
Old 14 September 2008, 11:20 AM
bigdog666
Scooby Regular

a plan wouldnt insure me coz i had no no-claims to put on my car, this was a bit silly if you ask me, seeing as its my 3rd form of transport, after my van which i have full no claims on and also the bike, so if you want a scooby as a second or third car, light use only, they are no good, i used keith michaels, no problems at all!
Old 14 September 2008, 11:38 AM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

I imagine the £15 charge is a nominal charge to put people off changing things once a week every week (excessive but you can see my point)

One change here or there is fair enough but if there were no charge then there would always be a few people phoning up changing things all the time.

I know on my policy i tend to save up a whole bunch of mods and then call with the new list and the policy is updated with a batch of things at once - which will take time. I dont mind the change in premium as its my choice to put the extra things on the car and i'd much rather it was all listed as if the worst were to happen then i know there would be no problems.

(i am with a-plan, and have been for a couple of years and i've always found them very good admin wise)
Old 14 September 2008, 11:38 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steviem
£15

Direct Line didn't charge me anything for changing the reg a few weeks back
Old 14 September 2008, 12:07 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Im assuming the'd have to send you a revised policy too with the new reg,so you have the time it takes to change it on the system,the call,printing off the new policy,paying for post etc etc etc. Still think £15 is fair.
Old 14 September 2008, 12:14 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Seems fair to me
Old 14 September 2008, 01:17 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

i had this same problem never got a cert from them on 2 cars i had insured with them in almost 3 years even after calling them up and asking where it was, i would never bother with them again!!!
Old 14 September 2008, 01:35 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Ive had the same problem with them regarding them sending out a Motor Insurance Cert.

But they are bloody cheep.

Plus when i mentioned i had an after market exhaust, alloys, filter and Re-map they kept my insurance premium at the same price.

Ill be staying with them.
Old 14 September 2008, 01:55 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I have been with them for a couple of years now and they have always been cheapest and beaten any other quotes I have had on both the import and normal side of their business.
£15 for a policy change is a resonable cost, most people will do several changes in one hit to save themselves money and if you are doing changes within a month of the call if you tell them they usually cover it on the same policy change as it is a impending change iteself.
I imagine the £15 would cover the time dealing with the change which I feel is not just pushing a buton on the keyboard as it also involves collecting documents, laser printing off the new insurance policy, any other paperwork they need to send out plus the postage costs of the envelope which itself could be 1-2 pound. If you think of it as individual costs £15 is probably giving to the fact if you make no changes it doesn't cost you anymore than what you paid initially, if you want to change deatails then you should pay for it.
A-Plan are a very competitive company and will usually save you money, so either pay more money to others and have free changes or pay less and pay £15 if you make a change, it depends on how many changes you plan to make

Anyway i shall more than likely be with them next year too as I cannot fault anything they have done for me even handling any claims I have had.
Old 14 September 2008, 02:54 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

they are the ****ers who im with, they managed to quote me on a car, get the reg, not notice its ****ing wrong and my car was taken off me by the old bill

they ask for the reg for a quote then tell me that they dont check when starting a policy as its not able to on there system,,,, EVEN THOUGH THEY POLICY IS MENT TO BE ON THE INSURANCE DATA BASE

oh and it dont take a hour to change a reg on a policy, its not even a new policy started its just a ammendment on a reg and printing out forms,,,, considering that i pay 1200 quid a year id think it was a little excessive to charge a extra "admin" fee

my old insurance was the nuts, even wrote to dvla telling them they have no interest in the plate of a car that was stolen,,, even thoguh they never unsured it !!!

A plan aint the best IMO, just cheep
Old 14 September 2008, 03:28 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Did they take the reg down incorrectly,or did you tell them the wrong reg?? As i was the first uk owner of my car,the reg wasn't recognised by and insurance company.It's only my word the reg is correct.

Quick Reply: A-Plan Insurance rip off