Sponsored by:

RB5 change for STI V/VI ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2001, 01:51 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok I've driven an STI V and love it. Question shoudl I change RB5 not WR for one, preferably a low mileage VI. Good news is all my mods would transfer (AP's, Leda, SS system). I understand about more insurance and warranty problems. Could any owners who drive their STI's enthusiastically please comment on reliability. Any recommendations for a dealer that would do the swap? Any STI owners fancy an RB5?
Old 19 January 2001, 02:35 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

In my experience the only reliability problem on the STI 5 is the gearbox (this may not be true for those who regularly take theirs on track). Mine has done 20000 miles and has had the gearbox rebuilt twice and is already in need of it again. This maybe due to bad workmanship on the rebuilder's part though. In the time I've had it the only things which have required attention apart from the g'box are the brakes which all Scoobys suffer from.

Obviously as I have an STI 5, I can understand why you'd want one, but since your car has some decent mods on it why don't you just get a Motec/ Link/ Unichip for it rather than going through loads of hassle swapping the car and getting all your mods transferred ?

Chris.
Old 19 January 2001, 02:41 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response. My thought process was that if I started from an STI spec I would then 'link' it to get some proper power advantages with the exhaust. I do like teh way the STI's rev higher and feel smoother. Your gearbox problems sound expensive if always occuring. Is there a way to upgrade it say via a Prodrive rebuild? Also how does your clutch cope wear wise. One concern with the STI is that I do 15k a year so I can't afford for the car to be off the road a lot.

Old 19 January 2001, 02:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sti V with 24000 miles (some track days), ECU, D/P, APs, bushes, ALK etc. It is fantastic...we had a Scooby meet last night and we were talking (mostly STi owners) about the amazing reliability, even back to MY97 cars.

Mine has been the model of reliability although I understand that the first 1000 miles is absolutely critical for both the gearbox and engine.

Quite a lot of V gearboxes have let go, very gentle running in and an early gearbox oilchange seems to be the answer.

Also, I would not, personally, get an STI, especially to be tuned/tracked without getting a full function replacement ECU (Unichip with EBC, Link or Motec).

On this basis, either get a WR upgrade or Link + Leda. Your car will be just as quick and the upgrade will probably be cheaper overall. (How's that for a staunch STI fan!).

R

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 19 January 2001).]
Old 19 January 2001, 03:00 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input. I am a bit confused by all these STI owners recommending me to stay UK! Surely an STI (which I would link) would out perform a linked UK car by a significant amount. I owuld have thought UK car 240 bhp and STI 300bhp plus loads more torque (more important in my honest opinion).

I was hoping that the cost to change would only be a couple of thousand or so. I was happy with my car until I drove an STI - the car felt so much quicker.

Old 19 January 2001, 05:13 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Dont forget you are getting a little more than just a power hike with an sti5.

Your getting closed deck block, quicker steering (over some uk cars), quicker shift, nice red sti engine bits which im sure do more than look pretty in the engine bay

Old 19 January 2001, 08:48 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

If you're going to put all your brake and suspension mods onto the STI, then put a link on it, I'd say DO IT. Get a Type R and learn to love the short gearing !

Chris.

Trending Topics

Old 19 January 2001, 11:12 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

bought my sti 5 new in feb 2000 -so far ive done 48000 miles in 11 months, only thing ive had to do so far is change the clutch,although they told me it wasnt badly worn the peddle kept sticking down- only bad points on the car are wipers that dont work above 100mph and crap headlights (small price to pay for so much fun)not been on a track day yet but hoping to do it this year! get one there great fun!
andy
Old 19 January 2001, 11:13 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

bought my sti 5 new in feb 2000 -so far ive done 48000 miles in 11 months, only thing ive had to do so far is change the clutch,although they told me it wasnt badly worn the peddle kept sticking down- only bad points on the car are wipers that dont work above 100mph and crap headlights (small price to pay for so much fun)not been on a track day yet but hoping to do it this year! get one there great fun!
andy
Old 22 January 2001, 09:40 AM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Guys, thanks for the replies! Anyone know of a good STi dealer that will also deal in UK cars? Any STI specifics to look out for on a used STi 5 or 6?

Help appreciated!
Old 22 January 2001, 09:47 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

You don't get closed deck blocks on std STi Vs. Or IVs for that matter.