SCOOBY saves a life...

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 12:33 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

(Well, probably!)

I hit some sort of debris on the M5 this morning - I wasn't exactly hanging around at the time, either!

Both passenger side wheels go over this "thing" and there's a nasty sounding crump. I've driven over all kindsa crap before, so wasn't too concerned. I slowed up, could tell no difference in handling or noise levels - so blatted off again.

When dawdling thru town toward my parking spot I could hear a rattle but put that down to something in the boot, as the car felt totally fine, straight and dandy. I've had punctures before in various vehicles...You tend to recognise it!

Parked up, thought I'd have a look - Rear tyre totally deflated, with a tear in the sidewall and a chunk outta the rim!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I spent the next half hour changing over to the space-saver wheel.

I'd like to thank Subaru for making a well balanced, incredibly safe car. I'd also like to thank Toyo tyres for making great tyres that seem to be able to handle catastrophic events as well as all their other great traits!

Just put my order in for a couple more!
Old 06 February 2002, 12:35 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

...shame you never perished in a flaming mess on the M5 - I could have waved at your burning body as I drove to Brum and then got back to yours and had a go on yer grieving missus nevermind theres always another time...
Old 06 February 2002, 12:38 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL@Richard.. I have to admit I was expecting disarster as I read...
Old 06 February 2002, 12:38 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 06 February 2002, 01:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Richard's kind words kinda sums up this communities sympathetic, all for one and one for all attitude!

LOL@ Richard

glad you are OK, Bummer re the wheel and tyre mind!
Old 06 February 2002, 01:11 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Glad you're ok.

Had a similar incedent myself. Tyre blew on debris, then had to swerve across 2 lanes to avoid contact with pile up of cars ahead. All at 70ish mph. Had I not been driving a scoob or other high performance 4wd saloon there would have been a rather large insurance claim for sure.
Old 06 February 2002, 01:14 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

nah me and Squizz are mates...go back a long way...and it might have summat to do with me chatting up his fiancee a few weeks back by text message thinking he was out - 'cept he wasnt d'oh...ps If he was to perish in a fiery car crash we wont have an excuse for a stag do pi55 up at Le Mans...

Trending Topics

Old 06 February 2002, 01:29 PM
tony1979
Scooby Regular

That's happened to me as well. Didn't notice that my rear left tyre was flat until I went round a roundabout and the back end skidded out just a little. Didn't notice any difference in the handling until then. I think it must have been a slow puncture though.

The guy at the garage showed me the inside of the tyre - loadsa rubber crumbling off creating one hell of a stink! Lucky I noticed when I did, or I dread to think what the alloy would have looked like.
Old 06 February 2002, 01:45 PM
blf21
Scooby Regular

I've noticed a couple of times driving my scoob over the years that when a front tyre is a little low for some reason it gets all understeery...
Old 06 February 2002, 02:05 PM
storm555
Scooby Regular

Endorse that, I had a close encounter the other week with a VW Polo going up the A1, peeing it down with rain and went past a lorry at about 60 and lady in outside lane doing no more than 10mph in outside lane with right side rear light cluster not working...saw her very late because of the spray...hit the middle pedal and car was amazingly stable and no slide..
Old 06 February 2002, 02:06 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've noticed the handling on mine drop off when the tyres were flat. They were like that when I bought it and in the snow over xmas it got a bit twitchy, coulod still get it to go mind unlike most others. The Wonders of 4WD. Turns out the dealer wasn't too flash with a foot pump and had sold me the car with underinflated tyres. Not impressed at all by that. Corners like it's on rails now I've blown them up a bit.
Old 06 February 2002, 08:20 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rich -

Just for a laugh, here's my Spaccy Space-Saver!!

Old 06 February 2002, 09:01 PM
HotImprezaChick
Scooby Regular

Same experience....
I was trying to find a concert late one night, and I had gotten bad directions from some strung out dj, so I ended up in a construction zone where (of course) I was speeding. I hit a huge rock and went over it with both passenger side tires. I ignored it, kept driving until the noise became unbearable. I pulled over to find two flat tires and two bent up rims. Bummer! So I called AAA, and got the spare put ont the back and the front tire hammered into place. LOL... thank you Subaru. Needless to say... I was 2&1/2 hourse late to the concert.
~B~
Old 06 February 2002, 11:35 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Ahhh...NEARLY gold wheels! Lovely!
Old 07 February 2002, 12:12 AM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

>>>>Had a similar incedent myself. Tyre blew on debris, then had to swerve across 2 lanes to avoid contact with pile up of cars ahead. All at 70ish mph. Had I not been driving a scoob or other high performance 4wd saloon there would have been a rather large insurance claim for sure.<<<<

This happened to me twice in my Citroen DS my66 at 70 mph... tire too old, exploded, disappeared completely... no problems. In fact, in 1958 they demonstrated this car could drive on 3 wheels. This car is not what you call a high performance saloon though.
Old 07 February 2002, 01:29 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Rik - still living on the council estate I see
ps how's Karen - send her my regards
Old 02 June 2002, 01:26 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Had this happen to me - ran over an eff big concrete block - tyre deflated and wheel bent horribly. Scoob just kept going in a straight line. I was really impressed.

Was not so impressed that the dealer (or someone) had previously removed the wheel brace!

JD

[Edited by JayDee - 2/6/2002 1:27:39 PM]
Old 02 June 2002, 01:58 PM
CraigD
Scooby Regular

Squizz
I think that Toyo may contribute towards the cost of your new tyres (as they used to come with free damage insurance)
Craig

[Edited by CraigD - 2/6/2002 1:59:56 PM]