Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRC - Why bother? Just buy your way to a win...

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 02:04 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I was totally outraged by the Ford team politely asking a privateer driving a Focus to incur a time penalty and thus allow Colin McRae to gain a valuble WRC championship point... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I'm not being partisan to Subaru here, either... If they'd have done it, I'd have been even more disgusted.

(Waiting to be informed that's happened before... )

I bag this in the same folder as sitting in front of a time-control to enable a tactically better positiob on a following days rallying, if road conditions are poor.

What's the point, anymore? F1, WRC and Touring Cars are all sinking down the same sh1tty hole.

(Flame suit donned. )
Old 04 February 2002, 02:08 PM
ChrisB

"I bag this in the same folder as sitting in front of a time-control to enable a tactically better positiob on a following days rallying, if road conditions are poor."

Hasn't that been stopped this year with reverse running on Day 2 or 3?
Old 04 February 2002, 02:31 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

know what you mean, Racing is supposed to be racing ie the fastest person wins, not because the faster person moves over and says "after you mr mcrae" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] thats what makes motorsport **** these days. Ford should get rapped for this and I believe this should be against the rules to make the sport fair. How can you expect the sport to gain in popularity when this **** happens?? thats the reason I stopped watching poxy F1 follow my bl00dy leader so called races every other sunday [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Rant over sorry
Old 04 February 2002, 02:37 PM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Quick question regarding this.
If I'd have put a bet on a privateer finishing in the top 5 at some quite ludicrous odds then I'd be very very upset about this. I wonder if Ford would pay for my loss of earnings as a result of their actions. Somehow I doubt it.

Andy
Old 04 February 2002, 02:39 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Good point Andy

Makes me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

David
Old 04 February 2002, 02:41 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I can remember this happening a few times before, with a number of different teams.

Wonder what his payoff will be?

Lee
Old 04 February 2002, 02:49 PM
simonzzr
Scooby Regular

If you look at it from the privateers point of veiw,the move has brought him more publicity than he could ever of dreamed of,and gained him some brownie points with Ford! What a result!!
Granted its not cricket but in this day and age the world rally scene is a business and money talks!
Just my pennies worth

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 04 February 2002, 02:58 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

What are the chances that Tuohine gets a few extra works bits for the rest of the season?
Old 04 February 2002, 03:10 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<RANT>

That's a decent pay-off for an individual, but what about the SPORT?

It's bad enough that a privateer has an uphill struggle vs. better funded works teams. I wonder what choice he really had? Would life have been made difficult for him, had he refused? Chance of a works drive out of the window? Such choices should not be burdoned upon the individual, but should be out-lawed by the ruling body...

Mind you, I think all raqcing is getting a bit silly these days. I believe that Le Mans/GT racing, TOCA and Rallying should all pretty much rely on what we'd term as Group N cars. Basic showroom models of a large homologated number, with safety equipment and "controlled" engines and tyres. The support from the common man would be greater, and racing really would improve the breed.

Some might argue that the spectacle would be reduced - Only of the manufacturers didn't have the guts to produce the cars we all want!

</RANT>
Old 04 February 2002, 03:16 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

I thought the Eurosport coverage was a 1000 times better than Channel 4s this time.

Channel didn't even seem to notice that a private Focus had come from nowhere to overtake BOTH McRaes, they just mentioned it on passing! With Ericsson out they should have been 5th and 6th anyway, how did that extra Focus get in there anyhow?
Old 04 February 2002, 05:28 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Why have a go at Ford? They are in this for business, not our pleasure, unfortunately. However, the privateer is in it for the sport, alledgedly, so him agreeing to it does not show him in a good light as far as your argument goes. Like has already been sadi though, he will have earned brownie points from Ford. Remembr Kyosti Hamaleinen in 1977? It sometimes pays to suck up to the boss!

Geezer
Old 04 February 2002, 05:56 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Cool

Such Short Memories

Seem to remeber Petter Solberg doing excatly the same for Richard last year

And IIRC (flame suit on) not a single word of complaint on this BBS

I however agree totally with all the coments

Phil
Old 04 February 2002, 06:49 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hmm Im not sure on this one. It doesnt sound the "right" thing to do but Ford are in the WRC as a team to win either the drivers championship or the manufacturers or both. Colin McRare has more chance of winning the drivers champ so obviously if he has a chance to score even a single point then they are going to take it. Liken it to football whereby players get booked in the quarters (2nd yellow) so they miss the semis and have the chance to play in the final.
Old 04 February 2002, 07:19 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Wink

Unlike the soft mamby pamby roundy - roundy boys, rallying has always had an element of tactical accumen and organisation,ie in the 60's "works" Minis with broken driveshafts being pushed by service vehicles to ridiculous speeds in Alpine tunnels. The service vehicle then brakes sharply before the end, to allow the Mini to emerge into the sunlight on its own at enormous speed, and enough momentum to allow it to finish the stage,(with drive blipping throttle furiously to give the impression of a slipping clutch and gearchanges) thereby keeping a Lancia Fulvia in 4th place. TO FINISH FIRST - YOU MUST FIRST FINISH