Old 07 June 2008, 04:53 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which inlet pipe?

The standard STI part

OR

This....
SUBARU IMPREZA STi AIR INTAKE SILICONE HOSE PIPE 99-00 on eBay, also Engine Tuning Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 07-Jun-08 22:05:49 BST)
Does it really help spool up?
If so is it at any other cost, loose performance else where?

Last edited by Phildodd06; 09 June 2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09 June 2008, 06:50 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

BUMP
Old 09 June 2008, 09:31 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

silicon hoses are nice. You can get them in almost any colour and they are generally stronger and last longer than regular rubber ones.

The theory goes, that if you replace the pipe from the turbo to intercooler, or intercooler to intake manifold then a silicon one will swell less so maintain a slightly higher and more consistent boost.

In reality unless you are running BIG boost and your standard rubber hoses are old and worn you probably won't see any gain. If on the other hand you need to replace said hoses and plan on keeping the car, you can't go wrong with silicon
Old 09 June 2008, 11:32 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
silicon hoses are nice. You can get them in almost any colour and they are generally stronger and last longer than regular rubber ones.

The theory goes, that if you replace the pipe from the turbo to intercooler, or intercooler to intake manifold then a silicon one will swell less so maintain a slightly higher and more consistent boost.

In reality unless you are running BIG boost and your standard rubber hoses are old and worn you probably won't see any gain. If on the other hand you need to replace said hoses and plan on keeping the car, you can't go wrong with silicon
The only ones worth changing are: -
  • The WRX Y pipe under the IC which is convoluted plastic crap! Not sure about newage....
  • The turbo inlet pipe...
...unless your rubber hoses are old, corroded or split.

J.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:58 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

The pipe i wanted to change is the turbo inlet pipe which goes under the inlet manifold, mine is split.

Which would be better for standardish performance (310 hp) not really planing on any big mods tbh.

So would i be just aswell replacing like for like (Sticking with standard Subaru parts)
Or
The silicone replacement?

Dont wanna do 1 and find out the other would of been better for performance.
Old 10 June 2008, 02:11 PM
P1SWRT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phildodd06
I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago - tried to fit it but the measurements of the branch pipes are awful - I had to cut about 25mm off the end to the turbo so the branch pipes would sit in more or less the right position between the inlet manifold. The end nearest the airbox is about 30mm too long so the std Subaru flexipipe doesn't fit directly, the silicone pipe has the same diameter as the black subaru pipe from the MAF so one doens't fit inside the other - need to cut the silicone down to size and fit a longer joining ring between the two parts and then jubilee clip both sides of the join.
I will get it to fit but there is some work to get everything in the right place & fitted.
I emailed the seller and sent pics of the problems - to date nothing back from the seller or his supplier

If you do buy one getting it under the inlet manifold is a right bar-steward. make sure all appertures are taped over so none of the manifold paint flakes off and into the pipe.

buy cheap - pay twice.........