Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

any legal eagles??

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 11:44 PM
djd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can any one give me some advice on how to get my money back for a faulty car? The car was purchased on the 11th of Nov99(WRX RA)from a garage in Edinburgh. After 2 weeks and a few trips back and forth to the garage for minor replacements(discs and pads)the oil feed to No3 bearing decided not to work and bang,big end gone.The garage have had the car since as they are finding it difficult to get an identical RA engine.Basically fed up waiting and want a refund although the garage dont seem to have the same feelings(strange as it may seem) Paid £9500 for it.Cant even remember what it looks like.

thanks
djd
Old 12 January 2001, 12:35 AM
sgould
Scooby Regular

From my understanding and what I have heard is that you may have a slight problem as it is an import. If it happened after 2 weeks then yes they should refund, but the law sucks.

Try option 2, go around with a baseball bat (might make you feel happier).

If if isn't an import then you could check the HPI and milage etc. If anything was dodgy then you could get a refund and sue as you bought it from a garage.

Good luck and I hope you get your car back soon.
Old 12 January 2001, 11:57 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear your tale of woe.

Try your local Citizens Advice Beaurau (auauau?)

Surely that falls undea Trading standards banner. Unfit for the purpose for which it was sold, etc, etc...
Old 12 January 2001, 01:30 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

The fact that is in an import is irrelevant. Nowhere in the trading standards law does it state "unless the product is imported"

The only "problem" is that djd is dealing with a smaller operation than International Motors, but he would have faced exactly the same problem if he had bought a UK car from a non-francised dealer. Typical "oh its an import run away run away" hysteria

My advice would be to go and see a solicitor, whatever you do don't let them repair it now, as 1.) they may try and put in a non standard block just to get ot running. and 2.) as prices have crashed you can buy the same car for less than you did a year ago
Old 12 January 2001, 02:39 PM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Question

Get yourself a copy of AutoExpress, they have an advice section in it. Sometimes they even offer to help put your case forward to the dealer. But as most of the other posts have already stated, get a solicitor and or see what trading standards can do for you.

I wish you look.

Ric
Old 12 January 2001, 02:49 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Its a sale of goods act issue.

Basically all product sold have to be fit for their purpose.

You bought a car which should go and stop, etc. You got one that doesn't.

Simplified version of events sure, but basic principles apply.

Tell em you want your money back cos they sold you a dud, unless "sold as seen" with no warranty in the contract.