Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

genuine "what its worth" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2008, 07:40 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default genuine "what its worth" thread...

i really dont wanna have to do this, infact its upsetting me just typing this on my keyboard.

as many know through my recent threads, the situation at work is slowly progressing, but trying to survive a £1300 deficit every month through my employers not paying me, selling the scoob to raise funds and buy a banger has crossed my mind

so id like to ask the scoobynet public what they believe my car would be worth, for a reasonable sale (not a rushed quick job).

car is as follows...

my99 (feb 99 t-plate) uk classic turbo 2000 in 559 red
  • lots and lots of service history, tax discs, old m.o.t.'s etc. in a big folder.
  • 139,000 miles, BUT had a full engine rebuild (with reciepts to prove) at 71,000 miles due to oil pump failure. short block, turbo, exhaust etc replaced.
  • £700 worth of suspension upgrades last summer which include kyb agx gas adjustable shocks (several hardness settings), eibach springs whiteline droplinks.
  • very recent gearbox rebuild by a.p.i. at a cost of £1700 which includes an exedy clutch.
  • blitz nur spec-r 3" turbo back decat.
  • genuine refurbed (couple small scrapes) 17" oz prodrive p1 alloys in anthracite. toyo rubber.
  • jvc headunit and alpine speakers front and rear.
  • sti6 spoiler ad rear lights.
  • samco/autobahn88 silicone hoses under the bonnet.
so with all that what would be a reasonable price to put her up for considering the above subtle mods? also to add last year 75-80% of the bodywork was resprayed red after some pillock bumped into the drivers side pulling from a juntion. economical repair, wing, door, spraywork, wasnt any internal damage or i would have refused the car back. people on here know how **** about the car i am, and i hope this would pay dividends if i needed to sell. pics on "view my scooby".

andy
Old 09 May 2008, 07:54 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

difficult one andy, the mileage would state that it would be a lower than book price but because its basically got a new engine id guess you could ask for book price of a car with half the mileage, approx £2800 to £3000. but its one of those niche market things a lot of people are put off by the mileage which in this day is silly.

im surprised your employers are not paying you, have you been to acas?

james
Old 09 May 2008, 07:58 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
difficult one andy, the mileage would state that it would be a lower than book price but because its basically got a new engine id guess you could ask for book price of a car with half the mileage, approx £2800 to £3000. but its one of those niche market things a lot of people are put off by the mileage which in this day is silly.

im surprised your employers are not paying you, have you been to acas?

james
all in the hands of the union and union solicitors. just filled in forms for a tribunal application.

i was thinking around £4k, because of the low mileage of the engine, the new gearbox and recent suspension overhaul. these three are the main components of the car and knowing that theyve been overhauled i thought, would give prospective buyers something different.

i believe when she started out back in 99' she was a company car as the history is meticuously stamped and its obviously done lots of motoroway miles, hence little wear on the noticeables.

i wont trade her in as its not worth it for less than £3000. in essence its a 9 year old car with 69k if you look at it one way.
Old 09 May 2008, 08:03 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

the above valuation was from the glass guide based on 75k miles. its a difficult thing to try and put a value on, a normal first time impreza buyer wouldnt consider paying that for it, but if you can find a seasoned impreza owner who knows the marque and is looking for a solid car. bingo bango bongo

whack it on PH and give it plenty of words, would be my advice
Old 09 May 2008, 08:09 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

another thing to remember in regards to ridding it, it is just a piece of replaceable metal. get another when your finances are in a better condition. I sold my v3 sti type ra, bought a vectra and a classic porsche and paid of some bills happy days. when im in a better position and fuel has hopefully dropped in price or im being paid more, I will get another tasty scoob
Old 09 May 2008, 08:11 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
another thing to remember in regards to ridding it, it is just a piece of replaceable metal. get another when your finances are in a better condition. I sold my v3 sti type ra, bought a vectra and a classic porsche and paid of some bills happy days. when im in a better position and fuel has hopefully dropped in price or im being paid more, I will get another tasty scoob
see what you mean, but ive put what the car has cost me into mods alone, so i feel really pushed to sell for £3000 think id rather go under
Old 09 May 2008, 08:24 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

having never had one with that much mileage and an engine rebuild I can only goto one of the guides mate as I did, mine is not an educated quote, just one taken from a guide. go for £4000. or strip it for bits and get more. if you have time on your hands that could be a good option, you know every piece can be sold. its just if you have the time and inclanation to do it.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:38 AM
Scooby23
Scooby Regular

If i was you i wouldn't let it go for less than £4000.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:45 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
i really dont wanna have to do this, infact its upsetting me just typing this on my keyboard.

as many know through my recent threads, the situation at work is slowly progressing, but trying to survive a £1300 deficit every month through my employers not paying me, selling the scoob to raise funds and buy a banger has crossed my mind

so id like to ask the scoobynet public what they believe my car would be worth, for a reasonable sale (not a rushed quick job).

car is as follows...

my99 (feb 99 t-plate) uk classic turbo 2000 in 559 red
  • lots and lots of service history, tax discs, old m.o.t.'s etc. in a big folder.
  • 139,000 miles, BUT had a full engine rebuild (with reciepts to prove) at 71,000 miles due to oil pump failure. short block, turbo, exhaust etc replaced.
  • £700 worth of suspension upgrades last summer which include kyb agx gas adjustable shocks (several hardness settings), eibach springs whiteline droplinks.
  • very recent gearbox rebuild by a.p.i. at a cost of £1700 which includes an exedy clutch.
  • blitz nur spec-r 3" turbo back decat.
  • genuine refurbed (couple small scrapes) 17" oz prodrive p1 alloys in anthracite. toyo rubber.
  • jvc headunit and alpine speakers front and rear.
  • sti6 spoiler ad rear lights.
  • samco/autobahn88 silicone hoses under the bonnet.
so with all that what would be a reasonable price to put her up for considering the above subtle mods? also to add last year 75-80% of the bodywork was resprayed red after some pillock bumped into the drivers side pulling from a juntion. economical repair, wing, door, spraywork, wasnt any internal damage or i would have refused the car back. people on here know how **** about the car i am, and i hope this would pay dividends if i needed to sell. pics on "view my scooby".

andy
Hi Andy,

My advice would be don't let it go unless you absolutely have to: you can rightly argue that the main components of the car, are fresh, i.e. the engine and transmission, but joe punter will just see a 140,000 mile car. You'd need to find someone relatively knowledgeable about Scoobies to get a half decent price I fear and you don't get back what you've paid for the nicemods; it just makes the car more attractive to enthusiasts.

I reckon if you're prepared to wait, you might get 4k, if you want shot of it quick, more like 2.5-3k

Second hand values are criminal at the moment!

Hope things pick up for you soon mate!
Old 09 May 2008, 11:55 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

sold a 2000 v plate for 3300 and was low 70's with full history brd remap and very well speccied with uprated parts inc pagid discs and pads,braided hoses,lowered 17's new tyres mot so 4k imho would be miles away..i know its not what yo uwant to hear but realistic is nearer 2700 . sorry mate.. another thing is this fuel crap... i am struggling to get near 2k for a 1997 gt vltd when 4 months ago i was getting near 3k all day long.. its desperately hard to sell gustsy cars these days...wont get any better neither ! ps if it helps, i have an old accord thats great and t+t for 400 quid if yer interested... good luck !
Old 09 May 2008, 12:00 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i reckon about £3100. Advertised at about £3500.
Old 09 May 2008, 12:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

not looking good price wise then.

i was hoping to recouperate £4k if it came to it. having looked on autotrader, pistonheads etc, i think what rab said seems really low, especially for a v-plate car. but if a quick sale is required...
Old 09 May 2008, 03:24 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Can't believe how much UK classics have dropped in price...

I suspect it is the volume of crap (read tatty, high mileage, accident damaged) imports that traders import cheap to sell on for an extra £500 that is flooding the market. I suppose that is one good thing about the new road tax is that even old classics will be subject to tax if they are imported post 2001.

Glad I sold my old PPP MY00 (immaculate with 42k) for 7.5k in Oct 2006.

Good luck with your sale buddy.... I'm guessing you will get max 4000 for it...
Old 09 May 2008, 04:08 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

This is just another slant on it. You're looking at a price difference of about £1k. If you advertise it for £4k you could find it sitting on your drive for ages and not selling. During this time you will still be paying the huge running costs. If you get rid quickly you can get yourself something ultra cheap to buy and run and it won't take long to make up that £1k. So, don't just look at the purchase price - you will be saving money by getting a quick sale.
Old 09 May 2008, 04:13 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

forget whats in the autotrader, its whats selling that matters..no point in paying out 45 quid advertising when the car aint gonna sell.. .. price it keenly and advertise it well.. but i tell ye right now.. 4k is a mile out.. the guy i sold the car to was a trader and he struggled to get 3700 (to a guy in aviemore) .. he got a good car but its a buyers market and the price of fuel is defo hitting home..... i would be surprised to see 3k for it... i really would.. and no matter what the engine has done, the body has done double regardless... good luck with it though.. think of it this way.. you might get a great claim and enough to buy a much newer/better low mileage car after its all dealt with...the money is better in yer pocket than on yer driveway...
Old 09 May 2008, 05:04 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
This is just another slant on it. You're looking at a price difference of about £1k. If you advertise it for £4k you could find it sitting on your drive for ages and not selling. During this time you will still be paying the huge running costs. If you get rid quickly you can get yourself something ultra cheap to buy and run and it won't take long to make up that £1k. So, don't just look at the purchase price - you will be saving money by getting a quick sale.
You're right.

I advertised my old classic for £18k. Someone offered me £16k for it within a week. I turned them down. It took a further 8 months to sell and went for £14k + all the advertising costs and running 2 cars costs, loan repayments etc etc.

Depends on how desperate you get. Good luck though.

(and i checked PH out before commenting, to see the competition).

Competing with the likes of this beauty:
Subaru : Scooby Turbo
Old 09 May 2008, 05:37 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear you’re having to sell up m8.
Can’t you get more of your drawings done
I was thinking of asking you to do one for me sometime if you have the time.
Maybe help pay some bills
After the recent poll on here about wages am sure the people that earn over 20k a year can pay double
Old 09 May 2008, 05:40 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

thanks for your input guys.

blueblaster, although i see what your getting at re. running costs, this IS NOT the reason im contemplating selling her. i have a situation at work where they are excluding me and thus i am down all my wages each month.

selling the car is an option because i need the money to help pay other bills, ie credit card, loan council tax etc for the foreseeable future. granted if i get a banger the running costs will reduce but this isnt the thinking of selling.

think im gonna give it a week, see what happens re. work and then if desperate put her up for sale. im just struggling to accept that the market is so rubbish currently, know its true but knowing ive forked out £700 on suspension, £1700 on the 'box, and £4-500 on the exhaust in a way seems your getting the rest for free if a £3500 price is achievable
Old 09 May 2008, 05:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rbaz
Sorry to hear you’re having to sell up m8.
Can’t you get more of your drawings done
I was thinking of asking you to do one for me sometime if you have the time.
Maybe help pay some bills
After the recent poll on here about wages am sure the people that earn over 20k a year can pay double
its the time taken in compairson to what i charge unfortunatley. just not feesable, although im trying my best to get stuff done while all this **** with work is going on.
Old 09 May 2008, 06:01 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Drop me a PM when you have some free time and all sorted out would like one of the car and bike together

There was a guy in another post that was looking at buying a N reg std WRX that was £4995 drop him a PM, he can save a bit of money and you can get what you want for the car all happy

Good luck with work hope you get it sorted soon
Old 09 May 2008, 06:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rbaz
Drop me a PM when you have some free time and all sorted out would like one of the car and bike together

There was a guy in another post that was looking at buying a N reg std WRX that was £4995 drop him a PM, he can save a bit of money and you can get what you want for the car all happy

Good luck with work hope you get it sorted soon

have you got a link to the thread? may pm them.

alos re. drawing work, pm me whenever you want. can sort something out im sure.
Old 09 May 2008, 06:40 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
have you got a link to the thread? may pm them.

alos re. drawing work, pm me whenever you want. can sort something out im sure.
Here it is https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...fuel-like.html

Will dig a couple of pics out and send you them
Old 09 May 2008, 07:44 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I suppose that is one good thing about the new road tax is that even old classics will be subject to tax if they are imported post 2001.
Not true at the moment. They will only be charged the additional tax if they have the emissions data for them on the V5. If there is no data recorded, they are charged at the same rate as pre-2001 cars, ie in engine size only.
Old 09 May 2008, 08:48 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

i bought a 2 owner v plate uk turbo from a garage with 3 months warranty
10 months MOT
90k FSH 2 owners for £3495 in march
in august last year i paid the £3750 for a 1997 R plate uk turbo with same mileage and owners, only mod was a full staim#nless exhaust
how prices have dropped
u could always put some original parts back on if u have them and sek#ll the car as standard as poss and try to make some money on ebay foe the other bits
Old 09 May 2008, 08:51 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

sorry for the mistakes
i have twix fingers!
Old 09 May 2008, 08:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by El Cat
i bought a 2 owner v plate uk turbo from a garage with 3 months warranty
10 months MOT
90k FSH 2 owners for £3495 in march
in august last year i paid the £3750 for a 1997 R plate uk turbo with same mileage and owners, only mod was a full staim#nless exhaust
how prices have dropped
u could always put some original parts back on if u have them and sek#ll the car as standard as poss and try to make some money on ebay foe the other bits
havent got any standard parts left lol. sold em.
Old 09 May 2008, 09:04 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

bummer!! just a thought tho pal!! sorry!
Old 09 May 2008, 09:09 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

id say,if you want it to sell quickly, advertise it at £3300

theres a few classics about,well,alot really, at £3500 and under

i paid £4k for my WRX back in 2006
Old 09 May 2008, 09:27 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

keeping it realistic buddy, you will struggle to get 3k... if you can afford to keep it (and you want to ) then i would..
Old 10 May 2008, 08:48 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Its a shame you have to sell really as it is a nice looking car with decent mods, but the mileage is always going to put people off - even with a new engine, rightly or wrongly people see cars with over 100K and it does detract a lot, especially when they can look in the paper and find cars of a similar age with 50K or less on them.

I would have said you'll probably struggle to find a buyer at all unless you price it really cheap as there are so many cars on the market at the moment, but if you do find someone who isnt bothered about the mileage then they'll be getting a bargain.

Quick Reply: genuine "what its worth" thread...