Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A non-believer is converted - Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2001, 11:04 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst getting my car fixed I managed to source a very reasonably priced STi carbon-fibre strut brace.

The difference it makes is *staggering*!

I've heard a lot of people saying strut braces don't make any difference, I couldn't disagree more. The car feels substantially more solid through bends. It is also a great deal more shure footed, turn-in is fantastic and braking is more stable too

All I can say is if you haven't got one go and get one! Now then... should my cash get Leda suspension or an ECU... decisions decisions!

Matt
Old 03 January 2001, 01:24 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

could it not be the case that your car has had it's geometry setup more favourably now than it was before the repairs? e.g. maybe you've got prodrive or similar settings now but didn't have/or had a badly done setup before.

moray
Old 03 January 2001, 01:26 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

that's what I initially thought but it did have the prodrive settings before, got it done when I had my ST2s fitted...
Old 03 January 2001, 08:19 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

£130 "very reasonable"???

My strut brace was £30 the left over £100 more than paid for the prodrive geometry which made an even bigger difference
Old 03 January 2001, 08:25 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

I thought it was reasonably for the genuine Subaru part, especially was the cheapest I had seen second hand was £200 +VAT !

Old 03 January 2001, 09:18 AM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

May I just ask what is the Prodrive Geometry and is it suitable for a standard UK scoob MY00, and do you think there's a difference between a CF strut brace and a more typical metal type
Old 03 January 2001, 09:42 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Prodrive geometry is as follows:

Camber: Max Equal Negative (front)
Toe-in 1mm front and rear

And yes it is suitable for your car, these settings improve turn-in and cornering, and make braking squirm less.

Check out the SIDC FAQ section...
Old 03 January 2001, 09:45 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Strut-braces...
As for differences I am not sure to be honest as I have just lost my strut-brace virginity

The only thing I do know is that the CF one certainly makes a huge difference, the car feels *much* more agile and solid, I took it for a blast this morning and rediscovered some roads on the way to work, much much better... go get one!
Old 03 January 2001, 12:33 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Top news. Can I ask where and for how much was the brace?

P.
Old 03 January 2001, 12:44 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

yeh, no prob..

genuine sti carbon fibre strut brace from midland impreza, £130 all in.

the number is 02476 363555

ta,
Matt
Old 03 January 2001, 02:09 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paul M:
<B>
do you think there's a difference between a CF strut brace and a more typical metal type[/quote]

No difference, except £100+ in your pocket!! If anything I would have thought a solid metal one should be stronger than a CF one with joins in it??

Save money and get a normal one, unless you spend a lot of time looking under the bonnet I prefer driving my car
Old 03 January 2001, 06:47 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I got an OMP strut brace from Demon Tweeks for £30, and noticed the difference.

I plan on spending the £100 I saved down at PowerStation for bumpsteer removal!!

I'm now waiting for yellow intercooler hoses to match the strut brace!!! Yes, I know I'm a tart!!!

Andy
Old 03 January 2001, 08:08 PM
Rigsby
Scooby Regular

Question

What is a bumpsteer, and why have it removed?
I find my WRX not very informative in bends feels a bit detached, will the above and the prodrive settings improve this?
Old 03 January 2001, 10:31 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Go and buy a strut brace, get the geometry set to Prodrive settings and buy some Toyo Proxes (I did today!)and the car will be amazingly different.

It really feels like a different car, very solid, much more confidence inspiring through the bends (just 'tested' the tyres and PIAA's down a dark lane ..very addictive!). Best few hundred quid I've ever spent and will definately be getting the Toyo's again...or maybe the Bridgestones...

Old 03 January 2001, 10:42 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cut and pasted from:
Old 04 January 2001, 02:59 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Re: bump steer my suggestion is to try before you buy.

I drove Stef's car with bump steer removed and thought the handling was pretty scary (steering was very light and detached, and the car was very unstable under braking on a bend). May be it takes a while to get used to it - I don't know.

Also worth checking if it can be un-done in case you don't like it (I don't think it can be but I may be wrong).
Old 04 January 2001, 07:54 AM
Julian
Scooby Regular

As the Bumpsteer mod from PowerStation involves adding some shims, I don't see why removing the shimes, if you don't like the result, would be a problem.
Old 05 January 2001, 04:24 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I thought the general concencus was that the STi carbon brace was more for looks than anything else? It seems to move around too much to offer any great degree of support.

Stef.
Old 05 January 2001, 04:29 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

eek, if a 'naff' just-for-looks one does what it has what will a 'proper' one do!

I know you chaps are monster-brained-beasts when it comes to scoobs and I have the utmost respect for your opinions and knowledge but I also find it hard to believe that the guys at FHI don't know their stuff... don't leech me... just a thought!

it would be interesting to compare different ones actually...

Matt.
Old 05 January 2001, 04:43 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Matt.
Not saying they don't know their stuff. Just grab the brace in the middle and try and move it up and down.....it does so quite easily. It's hard to see therefore how it offers much in the way of 'bracing the struts' . I'm sure it does something though.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 05 January 2001).]
Old 05 January 2001, 05:54 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Surely it's not up-and-down motion it's there to stop, I thought it was side-to-side flexing the brace was to prevent.
Old 05 January 2001, 06:33 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

yeh, I thought that too Stef but also thought that sideways movement was what it was primarly working with...

Isn't the strut working with movement across the car, i.e. on a left hand bend won't the left hand 'push' the right hand down, i.e. sideways movement more than up-down. Although I can also see that this movement would cause flex in the brace...maybe it is supposed to bend

is that a complete load of cr*p, if so I'll get me coat!

Matt
Old 06 January 2001, 08:59 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

- did you guys hit the pub early?? if the brace moves up/down, forward/backward, it won't prevent side-to-side movement. Try getting a plastic ruler and bending it up/down and see how much closer the to ends are to each other

A strut brace should be a solid bar that doesn't move at all. Essentially to stop a square turning into a triangle (or rhombus )

I'll get your coats, wanna a taxi

Old 06 January 2001, 09:16 AM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mattski,

I noticed the difference my carbon fibre strut brace made straight away. Much more stable and sharper through the bends. Best £120 I've ever spent.

Scotty.
Old 06 January 2001, 09:46 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Scotty,

Exactly! My car feels like a different beast all together with the brace on... I find it interesting that some people don't notice any difference, maybe they aren't using the genuine subaru part

Gary,
If you are gonna get me coat I'll have one of those genuine flying jackets please
Old 06 January 2001, 10:10 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subarussian:
[B]Re: bump steer my suggestion is to try before you buy.

I drove Stef's car with bump steer removed and thought the handling was pretty scary (steering was very light and detached, and the car was very unstable under braking on a bend). May be it takes a while to get used to it - I don't know.

Subarussian

You should get our braking done before turning in. Braking into the bend (trail braking) should really be used as a tool to bring the back end out.
Scoobs corner much better with some drive to the wheels.

Once you get used to it it is great fun as well as a useful tool.

DJ
Old 06 January 2001, 10:58 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

GaryC
Plastic rulers: How much force does it take to bend one in the middle by pushing each end compared with holding the ends and pushing the middle
I can't believe these guys will not have designed the CF brace to accept the loads it needs to! Maybe the brace is better to allow some flexing when the loading gets to a certain level, there is such a thing as too much stiffness! (make of that what you will )

Mick
Old 06 January 2001, 04:21 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mick:
<B>GaryC
Plastic rulers: How much force does it take to bend one in the middle by pushing each end compared with holding the ends and pushing the middle
[/quote]

Irrelevant given the example I was refering to the decrease in distance between the ends, not the flxibility of a plastic ruler - but a lot less that a solid metal £30 Strut Brace

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mick:
<B>
I can't believe these guys will not have designed the CF brace to accept the loads it needs to! Maybe the brace is better to allow some flexing when the loading gets to a certain level, there is such a thing as too much stiffness! (make of that what you will )

Mick[/quote]

Better to allow flexing? Too much stiffness?? You're having a laugh! If thats the case, Richard Burns seam-welded WRC must handle like a dog

The idea with a Strut Brace is to keep the the top of the suspension mounts as rigid as possible, thus keeping the wheels as upright as they should be. The stiffer the better.

Maybe FHI realise how guilable some impreza owners are and will pay up to 5 times as much for a less effective but prettier strut brace??

Old 06 January 2001, 04:58 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day I don't care what anyone says about it, I know that it has made a significant difference to the handling of the car and to me that is all that matters.

The fact that it was relatively expensive compared to other braces is irrelevant imho, I managed to get a very expensive original part for a reasonable price and I am happy.

so there... with sugar on and those hundreds and thousands things.

Oh and Gary, I don't think I am gullable thankyou very much, I bought it because I thought it was a genuine bargain for a genuine part.
Old 06 January 2001, 05:00 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

OK my experience.....

Went from std with Prodrive geometry
Fitted Sparco strut brace.
Was there really a difference or is it a placebo effect (I've got it so it must feel better)
Then had Powerstation geometry/bumpsteer removal....OMG !! feels like a new car !

Personally I feel geometry settings, even tyre pressures, have much greater effect than fitting/removing strut brace.(but then mines a wagon, not a floppy 4door)

DJ (takes cover)

Quick Reply: A non-believer is converted - Strut Brace