Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had a warrenty clain rejected due to a modification?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2002, 10:30 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What I mean by the title is a warrenty claim on a component unrelated to the mod. eg. electric windo failure rejected because of non standard back box.

Just wondered as I'm in for a service next month and wanted the dealer to fit a non-standard boost gauge. He said that it would void the whole warrenty.

Thanks

Steve
Old 25 January 2002, 10:51 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steve
IMHO

Based on conversations i have had with my dealership.

If the non-gen part fiteed is the cause of the faiilure then your warranty claim is unlikely to be agreed.

However
If you change the Backbox and your brake disks or clutch warp/fail then the claim should/will be valid.

My own personal experience
My MY99 has had a P/X induction kit fitted, decat centre section and mongoose b/box along with EBC brakes. My car is in having a waranty repair/replacement on the driver seat back as i type. i have had a couple of other minor claims as well, no problem.

Paul

Old 25 January 2002, 10:59 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Spoke to my dealers yesterday about brake upgrades. They said it "may" affect related warranty issues e.g. disks. Other things would be unaffected.

Hope you haven't decided to use dot 5 fluid or changed your original Subaru audio kit and invalidated your warranty.

Take your custom elsewhere. If it was me I wouldn't set foot in the place again!
Old 25 January 2002, 11:13 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't take it back but I'm running out of local dealers. They don't seem to like the fact I've got a Euro import!

Steve
Old 25 January 2002, 11:14 AM
Mcbrun555
Scooby Regular

we may have a similar problem, our my99 has a dodgy tickover when hot, i have read it may be the sign of the MAF on the way out, as we have an ITG panel filter in is it worth taking it out b4 we take the car in to be serviced?

mcbrun555
Old 25 January 2002, 12:58 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

No need to lose sleep about warranty issues then Steve

Not sure that there is any connection between Maff issues and filters, but post in the relevant forum for guidance.

Personally I wouldn't worry, but your relationship/perception of the dealer counts. If you have one like Steves' get rid before you're within miles of the place.

Old 25 January 2002, 01:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Re filters and Induction kits

Just a quickie on this

My dealershiop supplied and fitted my Pipercross kit - I have not had any problems with it, however.

IM sent a memo to dealerships (16 months or so ago) re MY 99/00 cars stating that they would not cover any claims made on MAF filters on cars fitted with non-gen ind. kits. I know this 'cause i saw the memo. Can't remember if filters where covered but just in case it is probably worth going back to the original filter.

Paul
Old 25 January 2002, 01:37 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Have had my scoob in for a new Maf - have an ITG panel filter fitted, caused no problems.

Had clutch replaced twice, once at 18k and then again at 50k - all done under warranty - due to really bad judder. Now has P1 item.

centre pipe split - replaced with standard item no problem even though the vehicle has a scoobysport back box - since added full system.

Added Lamco boost gauge 2 weeks ago. No problem. All still under warranty until I hit 60k mls which won't be long (not bad for 18mths driving).

So my advice would be to tell the dealer where to stick his warranty and go else where. I use ACE Kensington in Acton, they have been pretty good so far and probably see more scoobs than any other dealership in the UK.

Cheers,

Scottdg
Old 25 January 2002, 03:10 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

P1's have the same clutch as the UK model. I had my clutch replaced on my P1 due to judder and that's waht my dealer told me.

MS
Old 25 January 2002, 07:14 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Scottdg,

Did the dealer quibble over the 2nd replacement clutch at 50k? Did you have to pay a percentage due to the normal wear and tear that must have been present on the clutch?

Old 26 January 2002, 10:03 AM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

not a penny.