Sponsored by:

speeding cars in 30 zones?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2008, 10:14 AM
philbr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speeding cars in 30 zones?

why the hell when i overtake someone on the dual carriegway at reasonable speed, (ie; i can accelerate to speed a lot quicker than most/most of us can) do you get flashed lights, waved fists, bloody subaru driver, etc, then when your half a mile ahead and doin 30 in the prescribed limit, HOW can a law abiding car that you have left for dead in a derestricted zone, catch you up? the answer is obvious, 70mph limits are actually only 50 limits and nobody told me and 30 limits are actually 40 limits?
that must be how one of these angry (why is that subaru speeding? ) drivers, flashed when i overtook him (truthfully a tad over 70/not condoning speeding) and stuck his fingers up, and then caught me up in the 30 zone and sat up my 5" exhaust?
confused
Old 15 March 2008, 10:17 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philbr
why the hell when i overtake someone on the dual carriegway at reasonable speed, (ie; i can accelerate to speed a lot quicker than most/most of us can) do you get flashed lights, waved fists, bloody subaru driver, etc, then when your half a mile ahead and doin 30 in the prescribed limit, HOW can a law abiding car that you have left for dead in a derestricted zone, catch you up? the answer is obvious, 70mph limits are actually only 50 limits and nobody told me and 30 limits are actually 40 limits?
that must be how one of these angry (why is that subaru speeding? ) drivers, flashed when i overtook him (truthfully a tad over 70/not condoning speeding) and stuck his fingers up, and then caught me up in the 30 zone and sat up my 5" exhaust?
confused

may i suggest a little blip of a mapped in anti lag system
Old 15 March 2008, 10:49 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Because they're *****.

Basically.

It annoys the hell out of me too - especially those ****ers who've had the special 40mph switch installed.

Last edited by Prasius; 15 March 2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 15 March 2008, 10:59 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I watched a **** in a Jag overtake a transit through a marked speed camera zone this week.... so he stuck to 30 mph on the wrong side of the road till clear of the markings and then booted it !

Also overtaken on the same stretch by a Focus I'd earlier "rubbished" as described above, sad but true.

DunxC

P.S. my late mother used to drive everywhere at 35 mph, not too bad to the post office.... but a different matter on the A 1079 ! ! !
Old 15 March 2008, 11:04 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to live near London mate, I've been down here six months now and the standard of driving is appalling on the main. This is what I have discovered-

1. Seatbelts are for those likely to get hurt in accidents so are not worn by BMW/Mercedes/4X4/van drivers.

2. Mobile phones must be used at all times but hands free is an option that is not applicable to the above.

3. Give way signs are areas where you pull out and the oncoming traffic will give way to you.

4. If you can't read the garage name in the small print of the reg plate of the car in front you are wasting valuable road space - get closer!!!

5. Speed limits are optional and generally refer to the minimum acceptable speed.

6. Roads have 2 lanes and you are entitle to use either, especially when taking the shortest route/racing line at junctions.

7. Double yellow lines mean park on the pavement.

8. Don't park on the road, park on the pavements as pedestrians on the road are less of a hazard to oncoming traffic than an abandoned car and will cause less damage when struck.

9. If tail-gating doesn't succeed, add a weaving manouvere and the car in front should accelerate to a speed that you consider far enough above the required minimum speed limit (see number 5).

10. Under no circumstances do cyclists have any rights, even when they are n cycle lanes or have right of way - ask the guy/gal who crossed onto the wrong side of the road, knocked me off and carried on without stopping.

At least in North Wales you have some fun roads where you can escape these idiots, not down here.
Old 15 March 2008, 11:46 AM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Very poor driving standards in this country. I spent a bit of time in Germany 2 years ago and couldn't believe how the good the driving standards were. They certainly can teach us a thing or two.

My personal hate is the stick at 45mph EVERYWHERE brigade .
Old 15 March 2008, 02:20 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Followed some muppet @ 30 mph down a country road the other day - NSL but fair dos if not safe which it was - got into a village with a 30 limit and they speeded up to 40!

Old 15 March 2008, 02:46 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28

See these sort of muppets most nights. They also tend to drive on or just over the centre white line in 60 limits when nothing coming towards them as well. Just so you can`t over take
Old 15 March 2008, 02:47 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Stuck behind a woman in an 07 focus, doing 20 mph in a 30, then a bus came the other way so she stopped dead in the road till it passed (with 3 foot of clearance either side).

So she got a flash of my lights and a horn blast, she looked in the rearview mirror and gave me the finger, infront of the child in the passenger seat!

How this stupid b1tch is allowed a car or a child is beyond me?
Old 15 March 2008, 03:01 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I narrowly missed broadsiding some senile, cloth cap wearing ****-knocker this afternoon who decided it was a good idea to pull right out in front of me. One emergency stop and a long blast of the horn later, said ****-knocker decides to look across at me with a look that can only be taken that I was to blame for the near miss. I wasn't even speeding so there's just no excuse.

The same bloke probably drives everywhere 20 mph and thinks he's the best driver in the country.
Old 16 March 2008, 11:32 AM
philbr
Scooby Regular

seems like wherever you are ,these people are about!
just makes the rest of us a bit more cautious i suppose.
just gets my goat as i know i'm not the worlds best driver but i do like to make progress when i can and consider myself to be fairly aware/considerate of other road users.
Old 19 March 2008, 11:45 PM
scoobasaurus
Scooby Newbie

how about following some knobber in a focus who was himself behind a tractor.... and seemed happy to follow the tractor at 50 yards seperation for 2 miles until I try to overtake him... then - amazingly he discovers his accelerator pedal.... and leaves me stuck on the wrong side of the road until I manage to pass both vehicles

I f******g hate tossers who accelerate when you overtake them (for no other reason)... it's the main reason I'm selling my R Sport and getting a WRX
Old 20 March 2008, 12:00 AM
andyno4
Scooby Regular

i was driving my bus once, wanting to pull out into a junction. the road i wanted to be in had 2 lanes leading to a roundabout. a woman in a frontera, with 3 kids in (no seatbelts neither) decided she had the right to park in the yellow box area which should be kept clear, thus blocking me from pulling in... all this whilst sat there talking on the phone, in her hand!!! when i did manage to pull out, i opened the cab window, not annoyed she blocked me in, but cos she was on the phone. i made my feelings very obvious to her, only to have her put the window down and call me a runt (change R for a C!) so i replied, on the phone, with 3 kids (all under the age of 10) no seat belts on in the middle of the rush hour???? she drove off and forked me!!!

oh happy days
Old 20 March 2008, 12:03 AM
assti
Scooby Regular

Followed a car most of the way to work a while back doing 40 in a 60, Thing was he carried on doing 40 into the village where I work which is a 30 and got flashed by a camera. I did have a little chuckle.
Old 20 March 2008, 01:22 AM
Mystik Journeyman
Scooby Regular

Some people are just c*nts.

My wife wonders why I get so pissed off with these types of drivers when I'm so passive about everything else; I think it's because when they're arrogant like that it seems personal - I wouldn't let a m*therf*ck*r punk me on the street so why would I let it lie from someone in a Vauxhall?!

Sorry, I've been watching The Wire.
Old 20 March 2008, 11:11 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Very poor driving standards in this country. I spent a bit of time in Germany 2 years ago and couldn't believe how the good the driving standards were. They certainly can teach us a thing or two.

What complete tosh !!! the Germans have to be the most useless, incompetent, selfish, aggressive and arrogant car drivers on this entire planet, second only to the Italians or Greeks!!!!

Think you needed to spend abit more time in Germany to really appreciate how crap they really are.
Old 20 March 2008, 11:39 AM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

No point in getting wound up about these people. Just relax and let it wash over you, you'll live 10 years longer. Take a pride in driving correctly. I drive through Leicester quite a bit and some of the driving has to be seen to be believed (many of the citizens are recent arrivals to the UK and seem not to know the Highway Code). I no longer get wound up or grumble, its pointless.
Old 20 March 2008, 12:46 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

The one that annoys me is when you are on a fairly narrow two lane country road, you can be stuck behind a car doing 30 in front of you, which is fine, and you hang back so you can see far enough up the road to see there is oncoming traffic so no chance for you to pass.

Then some fool drives right up your **** beeping and flashing you for holding them up or not overtaking the slower car in front.

Do they expect you to chage the law of physics and drive through the oncoming traffic ?

A similar one was a blind crest near where I use to live, I was at the top so could see the huge truck coming towards me - idiot a few cars back down the hill couldnt, but decided he was in too much of a hurry to wait and pulled into the other lane and overtook everyone else. Think he may have needed some new underwear when he got to the top of the hill and had to slam his brakes on.
Old 20 March 2008, 01:26 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Its always amazing the number of drivers who sit at 40mph in a 60 zone, then flash and beep when overtaken with no need for them to brake (unless they are tailgating tw@ts).....but then hit the 1st 30/40 zone and within minutes have gone from 1/2 a mile back to up your rectum.....lunacy

Those of us who drive in rural locations probably experience this most.
Old 20 March 2008, 01:45 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
What complete tosh !!! the Germans have to be the most useless, incompetent, selfish, aggressive and arrogant car drivers on this entire planet, second only to the Italians or Greeks!!!!

Think you needed to spend abit more time in Germany to really appreciate how crap they really are.
Believe you me my friend they drive like gods compared to the drivers in Lincolnshire
Old 20 March 2008, 02:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I once had a play with a guy in a Boxter on the way home one night. Needless to say his Porsche wasn't as fast as he'd hoped it was.

Got to a 30 zone. Said Porsche driver came hammering up behind me, sat on my bumper weaving about. Untill he decide to overtake me on a busy main road . That guy well and truely owned my *rse that night
Old 20 March 2008, 02:42 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Smile Oh No

Originally Posted by stilover
That guy well and truely owned my *rse that night
This isn't going to turn into another "Coming out" thread is it???

Dave
Old 20 March 2008, 02:46 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Bullock
This isn't going to turn into another "Coming out" thread is it???

Dave

Why? When did you come out? Must have misses that one.
Old 20 March 2008, 03:27 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ah well now, thats my little secret!

Getting back on topic though.....

I drive alot round the lakes and the driving on the country lanes has to be seen to be believed.

I'll be dragging a trailer up there tonight with my trials bikes in and I'll bet I'm stuck behind someone doing 30mph in a NSL who brakes for EVERY corner no matter how slight it is. I often overtake people with the trailer on!!

Dave.
Old 20 March 2008, 03:47 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
may i suggest a little blip of a mapped in anti lag system
Always does the trick
Old 20 March 2008, 03:49 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
You want to live near London mate, I've been down here six months now and the standard of driving is appalling on the main. This is what I have discovered-

1. Seatbelts are for those likely to get hurt in accidents so are not worn by BMW/Mercedes/4X4/van drivers.

2. Mobile phones must be used at all times but hands free is an option that is not applicable to the above.

3. Give way signs are areas where you pull out and the oncoming traffic will give way to you.

4. If you can't read the garage name in the small print of the reg plate of the car in front you are wasting valuable road space - get closer!!!

5. Speed limits are optional and generally refer to the minimum acceptable speed.

6. Roads have 2 lanes and you are entitle to use either, especially when taking the shortest route/racing line at junctions.

7. Double yellow lines mean park on the pavement.

8. Don't park on the road, park on the pavements as pedestrians on the road are less of a hazard to oncoming traffic than an abandoned car and will cause less damage when struck.

9. If tail-gating doesn't succeed, add a weaving manouvere and the car in front should accelerate to a speed that you consider far enough above the required minimum speed limit (see number 5).

10. Under no circumstances do cyclists have any rights, even when they are n cycle lanes or have right of way - ask the guy/gal who crossed onto the wrong side of the road, knocked me off and carried on without stopping.

At least in North Wales you have some fun roads where you can escape these idiots, not down here.
Old 25 March 2008, 11:29 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Believe you me my friend they drive like gods compared to the drivers in Lincolnshire
Mental note to self!! Never go to Lincolnshire
Old 25 March 2008, 11:38 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Mental note to self!! Never go to Lincolnshire

True, never have I been able to drive round there without getting stuck behind a meandering horsebox.

Only way to overtake round there is by getting the inside line on roundabouts. Not the most clever of driving practices, of course.
Old 25 March 2008, 11:57 AM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

This sort of behaviour is very annoying

Only this morning I came up behind a guy in a zarra 1.4 or something. He had sat behind a slow moving truck through several straight sections so I thought he would not overtake as we came on to another straight again he sat there so I indicated and went out to pass them both, he looked in his mirror seen me coming and jumped out in front of me what a complete a**hole!

I let him pass the truck then passed myself, suddenly this guy was out trying to pass everything on snow covered roads

I just sat back and relaxed and enjoyed listening to my engine whilst he stressed out over getting two cars ahead

philbr you are spot on with this problem but I suggest you rise above them, you know you have a powerful car that will easily pass these fools. As I said in another thread just because some idiot in their 90bhp shopping trolly passes you doesn't make them faster, just mental!!
Most people I come across on the roads, who drive proper performance cars, tend to drive very well (only opening up the car on higher limit roads), especially in built up areas, etc. In my estate the people who speed through it are stressed out parents in people carriers and they think nothing of it

Continue to drive well and let these fools feel inadequate in the car that THEY chose to buy. These people seem to think that no one should ever pass them... they are incompetent