Sponsored by:

Why spend so much on a car?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 07:43 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why spend so much on a car?

Almost everyone on this site talks fondly about a small, inexpensive car they used to own. Now I appreciate that people acquire families that need transporting and a small hatchback is not always the best way to do it, but why does everyone, almost without exception, progress up to larger more powerful machinery that is undoubtedly more impressive, but often less fun than the smaller cheaper alternative? Is it just a case of "Keeping up with the Jones'" or are we all suckered in by the magazine reviews and hype surrounding the latest road rocket? So why do you have your expensive high-performance car?
Old 04 March 2008, 07:54 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd say you have an unhealthy obsession with the costs of motoring and fuel consumption myself I sometimes get the feeling there is some sort of vested interest behind all these pro diesel, pro low cost motoring posts (i'm most likely wrong, but still)

Personally we got an impreza because we wanted one, as it was a decently fast car at the time. Costs came second, as we had our minds set on the impreza already.

Of course, it would be great if it was cheaper to run, but to be honest I wouldn't change it cost reasons alone (got a work hack for commuting)
Old 04 March 2008, 07:55 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
I'd say you have an unhealthy obsession with the costs of motoring and fuel consumption myself
Old 04 March 2008, 07:58 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Ive loved subaru's and impreza's since before I can remember, cant imagine my life with out one, end of really.
Old 04 March 2008, 08:26 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

as my plus profile states

No other 4 door saloon that I have had can handle the commute, weekly shop and still be able to put a smile on my face whenever I drive it.
says it all i think
Old 04 March 2008, 08:39 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

My husband made me!!

Seriously, previously spent a fortune on a mini cooper convertible - had been desperate for a two seater convertible since I was in uni....but have a 9yr old step-daughter and wanted a convertible that all of us could enjoy. The mini fitted the bill........while she was ickle! She couldn't fit in the back comfortably, it sat on the drive most of the time and was a waste.

Hubby always wanted a scooby but we both wanted a bigger car that was going to be fun, fast but also practical. Looked at various cars but as soon as we drove our scooby we didn't need to look any further !

Best decision we made!
Old 04 March 2008, 08:44 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

More reliable than a Cosworth, cheaper than an Evo, more practical than an M3 and better looks than anything else I could have bought for the money.
What else could I have bought for £5000 that has 320/320, 4 doors does 24mpg, 160mph and can match the looks of a classic facelift Impreza?

Nowt................caus I looked
Old 04 March 2008, 08:48 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I think my 00 classic is pretty cheap to own and run. For the performance it gives it is a bargain.
Old 04 March 2008, 08:49 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Almost everyone on this site talks fondly about a small, inexpensive car they used to own. Now I appreciate that people acquire families that need transporting and a small hatchback is not always the best way to do it, but why does everyone, almost without exception, progress up to larger more powerful machinery that is undoubtedly more impressive, but often less fun than the smaller cheaper alternative? Is it just a case of "Keeping up with the Jones'" or are we all suckered in by the magazine reviews and hype surrounding the latest road rocket? So why do you have your expensive high-performance car?
best small car i've owned is 106 rallye.and i've still got it and drive it most days.its showing age a bit now so it will coming off the road for a bit of work.i've got a scoob as well.so to quote swisstony No other 4 door saloon that I have had can handle the commute, weekly shop and still be able to put a smile on my face whenever I drive it.plus i can put push chair in the boot as well
Old 04 March 2008, 09:59 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

An 02 bugeye WRX wagon, apart from being a bit thirsty, is not too expensive to run, cheap to buy, very practical, great fun to drive and decently quick. My insurance is 430, not much more than my old 2 litre Mazda.

It also has real character unlike a lot of modern cars.

So I'll turn the question round - as this is a family car and I wanted a wagon/estate which was quick and fun to drive - what better alternative can you suggest?
Old 04 March 2008, 10:21 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You just move up to the best car you can afford don't you? Most people earn more money as they get older so will naturally move on to a bigger/better/faster etc car. Those with petrol in their veins of course, those without will probably not be bothered

TX.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:34 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

I got my impreza sti so the girls would fancy me and think i had a big ****...
Old 04 March 2008, 10:45 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fraser87uk
and do they
Old 04 March 2008, 10:54 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fraser87uk
I lol'd my *** off after reading this +10,000 points of something for the best reply on SNet
Old 04 March 2008, 11:31 PM
michael_jenkins
Scooby Regular

Wanted one since I had a remote control car Impreza when I was 12 and watched Burnsie take the world title on tv. Im now 18, and I've got one! one of my life ambitions complete
Old 04 March 2008, 11:38 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

From childhood I always wanted a Sierra Cosworth and then later an Impreza.

It's nice to have something you want, regardless of cost
Old 05 March 2008, 12:42 AM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Why go for a fast car..good question...but...Why go abroad on Holiday, have a good Night on the Beer or do any of the fun things in life. Because you only live once and on your Death bed it is unlikely that you will be wishing that you had been more frugal with your money! Have a laugh while you can, if owning a fast (and to be honest a car that shouts look at me) is your thing then do it.........if we all were a little less compulsive and thought about it we would have got a Mondeo Diesel. Grrrrrrrrrrr
Old 05 March 2008, 08:57 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I just wanted a reliable and fairly corrosion-resistant fast 4 door car to replace an Integrale. This sounds rubbish, but when we were expecting our second kid, we went out and bought a tandem double buggy. It fitted in the daily Passat OK, but not in the Integrale or almost anything else. We looked at Alfa 156GTA (saloon and estate) and BMW 3 series Touring (amongst others) for somewhat over budget at about 8K and the stupid thing wouldn't fit in any of them. I then thought about a Bugeye WRX Wagon and it fitted easily. It was a standard "51" UK car and the performance didn't particularly impress with its 218bhp or so on the test drive. The dealer also had a saloon on the forecourt and we just tried fitting the wretched buggy in the boot out of curiosity and it fitted no problem! I prefer the looks of the saloon, so my mind was made up: trouble was I couldn't get a low mileage newage STi for my budget, so went the 247bhp JDM Bugeye route as a cheaper 6K compromise. It's much quicker than that UK WRX Wagon, so I'm happy and the missus doesn't mind driving it either, which is more than can be said for the Integrale!
Old 05 March 2008, 09:12 AM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
and do they
Damn bitchin...

Oh no, wait, that was my over inflated ego and sense of self-esteem that was big...
Old 05 March 2008, 09:37 AM
Shot8un
Scooby Regular

Always wanted an Sti

Now I got one... I've never owned a different make of car so I wouldn't have anything to compare one to

It's all good tho!

Shot8
Old 05 March 2008, 09:52 AM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Turbo2 is right about the Lancia Delta, I had a Delta HF Turbo and it was a rusty bag of electrical faults. Put me off lancias for life, if it had been a good car I may have got an Integrale.............. The ONLY good part on my car was the Engine.
Old 05 March 2008, 10:29 AM
Mew
Scooby Regular

why does everyone, almost without exception, progress up to larger more powerful machinery that is undoubtedly more impressive, but often less fun than the smaller cheaper alternative?
prob because we want newer cars and ALL the new cars without exception are heavier than older models, and in alot of cases are not actually faster than the older versions....

newer models are heavier due to airbags and safety features etc but small fact, the evos have been 276bhp for ages new ones prob handle better but definately carry more weight.

Originally Posted by Scoobyspanners
Turbo2 is right about the Lancia Delta, I had a Delta HF Turbo and it was a rusty bag of electrical faults. Put me off lancias for life, if it had been a good car I may have got an Integrale.............. The ONLY good part on my car was the Engine.
if those faults on that car were sorted..... the car does shift its weight. when its running right i kinda preferred it to the likes of 205gti and 106rallye etc..
Old 05 March 2008, 11:22 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Hmm I have the two motors I want.. A quick every day estate car and a seriouse off road toy for the weekends.. the pair cost me £4.5k, £900 a year to insure and a few more quid to run..

My car will embaress a lot of new and much more expensive cars, and My 4x4 will and has gone anywhere I point it, and has occasionally dragged more modern/expensive models out of the dirt!.. Looks quite cheap too me, does everything i need, no hurry to change them!
Old 05 March 2008, 11:32 AM
New_scooby_04

Why, simple: cause it's a hobby and makes me happy!

Some people p*ss away good knows how much per year on increasing amounts of **** and booze, which unlike a performance car, is having a significantly detrimental effect on their health and leaving them with nothing to show for their expenditure.

I guess the reason for progression in respect of both *** and booze consumption and performance car choice is the same, though.

You get used to what you've got and want more!

P.s. not having a go at smokers and drinkers - it's your money, you spend it how you want
Old 05 March 2008, 11:34 AM
imf1
Scooby Regular

Looks good
Sounds good
And by golly makes yer feel good

Can't put a price on fun, only live once and all that,
Anyway warmer weather is a good side effect

When I'm not in mine, I wish I was
Old 05 March 2008, 11:41 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

better than spending it on drugs and booze !! not that i do drugs ! do drink a bit though
Old 05 March 2008, 11:57 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

As per all the above posts. (OK, most of them).
Old 05 March 2008, 12:01 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

My daily commute involves many queues of traffic on single carriageways and short bursts of acceleration lasting about 15 seconds up short sections of dual carriageways to the next roundabout. A journey of 20 miles usually takes and hour.

I was doing this regularly in the Impreza until I saw sense and bought a 106 diesel.

Now I sit in the same traffic at less than half the cost.

The Impreza comes out on weekends and wee hours when the roads are empty.

I just dont see the point anymore in sitting in traffic with a car thats itching to fly.
Old 05 March 2008, 12:06 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by M444GY
do drink a bit though
I do enjoy a snifter of port at Christmas!

By 'snifter' I mean 'bottle' and by 'Christmas' I mean 'everyday'.
And by 'port' I mean 'whiskey'!

Old 05 March 2008, 12:19 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Quick Reply: Why spend so much on a car?