Sponsored by:

who can help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2008, 10:52 AM
BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who can help !!!

Hi all - new to this site so if I've posted up in the wrong place let me know and I'm sure to ask the same questions that you hear every time a newbie comes on here with out know where to look first of all or check in past post's

I own a Subaru legacy 96 gtb wagon (will go into spec in later post)- now my problem is last Saturday I was going to do a car-boot sale, and while waiting in line to go in I started up the car to go in and it would not start well - lumpy with no wanting to fire up into life - about three goes and no luck - feeling like it was flooded ? and feeling bit of a plum just sitting there while all the other cars drove around me
once pushed inside the place got on the blower to the AA - half an hour later and he say's it most likely crank sensor n/switch to coils (well that's whats written on the sheet) so had to get it flat bedded home
I do have a mechanic that i trust and have done for 8 years as the good one's are few and far between - will be phoning him to let him know that his kids will be going to university with my next bill for the car

so my question is - is this the most likely problem with it or will there be more horror's done to the car through this part failing ? (i know you can't always tell with seeing/hearing the car) what price for the part ? what work is needed to be under taken in fitting this part i.e labour time and how hard to replace ?
just in-case he can't do it or is busy is there any one in the surrey area (close to godalming if poss as got to get it flat bedded there ) that you lot can recommend and trust !?

I not that mechanically minded - and not loaded - one of these work my fingers to the bone for little money

hope some one can help and cheers all Andy
(sorry for the long post)

Old 25 February 2008, 11:16 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

May be similar to my own issue (thread posted in General Technical re my starting issues with 95 WRX)
I assume that your car has the same or v. similar ECU which allows you to read the ECU fault codes as mine : if so then IIRC code 11 (long flash followed by a short flash) would indicate crank sensor being faulty : crank sensor is around £130+vat from dealer or maybe £25 if sourced s/h
My own issue is that my CEL codes can indicate no problem yet warm start is v. unreliable.
I've replaced coolant temp sensor (£30 brand new) as this can often be related to hot start and fitted a s/h crank sensor. Problem was still there and this weekend the CEL was indicating cam position sensor which may or may not relate to starting. Not sure of the cost of that but as it's near identical to the crank sensor I'm guessing it will cost £130+ also if I buy a new replacement.
MAF may also be related but I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

Warm starting probs are often tied down to crank and/or coolant temp sensors so they are the 2 that a finger points to at present.

Best thing, if your car allows, might be to go through the CEL clear / CEL read process to get a picture of the current fault code situation and go from there. Unfortunately for me it hasn't yet lead to a resolution but I'll get there eventually !
Old 25 February 2008, 02:44 PM
BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN
Scooby Newbie

cheers for that mate - will see if my guy can find the same thing that you said but any one have any info on places around surrey area ?
Old 25 February 2008, 07:15 PM
BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN
Scooby Newbie

bump - I can't get the car sorted with out a bit more info on this problem and surrey garage ? -please anyone !