Sponsored by:

MD321H is a goodun'

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2008, 10:05 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD321H is a goodun'

I'd like to thank Rich at Powerstation for a great map on Monday. It's super smooth and the MD321H is super responsive. The responce is very similar to the VF35 - 4th gear sitting around 30mph just above 2K rpm, foot down and it starts to pull! I was expecting it to be a bit gutless below 3K, but there's no loss of driveability at all. I'm reaching 1 BAR at 3,100 rpm in 5th gear as a benchmark (helped by Harvey's ported headers and up-pipe). Also noticed that I hit 1.4 BAR in 2nd gear now , which it never used to and the car pulls hard to the redline now , rather than giving up after 6K.

Power was 372bhp, not sure on the torque think it was 430nm ish (the graph was lost). Boost was 1.4 BAR midrange with 1.3 to the redline.

The neutral position switch was playing up, which Rich spotted on the mapping software, so I'll need to get that sorted for the second time. I've got a Dyno day coming up soon, so I'll post a graph after the swtich has been replaced.

Mark, if you read this - nice one for making a decent turbo. It might not be the cheapest out there, but it's worth every penny

Btw, Powerstation have a great new shop upstairs with loads of hard to find bits like the STI lateral links, Subaru and STI clothes etc. Photos of the shop below. They are having an open day on Sat 22nd March, with press and magazines turning up (and some well dressed 'ladies' ).

Old 12 February 2008, 10:10 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Good results there mate,

With referance to the neutral switch, I just did mine and with all the gearbox mounting bolts removed, you can gently pull the back of the gearbox down far enough (without popping the linkage support) to get a spanner in to remove the switch. Its tricky to get back in but far easier than some methods

Good luck
Old 12 February 2008, 10:46 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Toatally agree, the 321H is a great Turbo, really love mine. its so smooth and easy to control
great results.
Old 12 February 2008, 11:26 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice one Anders. I've got a 321H and am loving it.

Wait till you combine it with some good tubular headers - good as ported headers are, the 321H and tubulars is a match made in heaven
Old 13 February 2008, 08:45 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Northern Nick
Good results there mate,

With referance to the neutral switch, I just did mine and with all the gearbox mounting bolts removed, you can gently pull the back of the gearbox down far enough (without popping the linkage support) to get a spanner in to remove the switch. Its tricky to get back in but far easier than some methods

Good luck
Hello mate,

I haven't got the facility to get under the car, but the dealer quoted me a price of £60 fitted, which I don't think is too bad.

The NPS is a dumb design...what do they expect with a plastic tip rubbing on metal every gear change. Here's a picture of the last time it failed.

Anders

Old 13 February 2008, 08:49 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
Nice one Anders. I've got a 321H and am loving it.

Wait till you combine it with some good tubular headers - good as ported headers are, the 321H and tubulars is a match made in heaven
Do the tubular headers really match ported ones on spool, or is it carefull up-pipe diameter selection that gives you the good spool? I'm tempted, but I don't want to loose the low down driveability I've got at the moment, for another 20bhp peak or so.

Love the turbo spool sound through the exhaust

Who mapped yours btw?

Anders
Old 13 February 2008, 09:16 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
Do the tubular headers really match ported ones on spool, or is it carefull up-pipe diameter selection that gives you the good spool? I'm tempted, but I don't want to loose the low down driveability I've got at the moment, for another 20bhp peak or so.

Love the turbo spool sound through the exhaust

Who mapped yours btw?

Anders
I lost only about 100rpm of spool of that. But the gains in mid and top end torque were immense. The result is a wider powerband and more driveability, not less. Up-pipe selection is important - I used GT spec headers from Zen and Paul did the mapping
Old 13 February 2008, 12:56 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

im tempted with some headders and up pipe, 100rpm with the short Type R gears wont be a problem,
Old 13 February 2008, 06:51 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Anders,

Glad you're pleased with the turbo, and I'm sure you'll get a bit more when the sensor has been sorted.

Mark.
Old 13 February 2008, 06:54 PM
steve_wr1
Scooby Regular

what exhaust have you got anders? full 3" bore?
i'm going for the same turbo on mine,i'm booked with andy forrest for the 14th march.i can't wait lol.i feel like a kid on xmas eve with reading what people are saying about this turbo
i'm putting on some 650cc's,RCM headers/venturi up pipe and already got a full 3" exhaust and CAIK on the car.sticking with the TMIC for now,will see how well it works after the mapping.
Old 13 February 2008, 07:46 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Mark,

I'll have the neutral position switch sorted by the time I go on a set of Dyno Dynamics rollers in a couple of weeks time on a WR1 dyno day. Will be interesting to see what they say, but I'm finally happy with the way it drives anyway

Steve, I'm running a full 3" Hayward & Scott system, FMIC with CAIK and Harvey's ported headers and up-pipe. Sounds awesome on full chat!

Question is what mod's next? Think I might fit some STI Lateral & trailing links

Anders
Old 13 February 2008, 08:12 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
I lost only about 100rpm of spool of that. But the gains in mid and top end torque were immense. The result is a wider powerband and more driveability, not less. Up-pipe selection is important - I used GT spec headers from Zen and Paul did the mapping
100rpm worse than ported headers, or the stock ones? Does anyone have a dyno plot?

Anders
Old 13 February 2008, 10:18 PM
steve_wr1
Scooby Regular

i've been thinking of an h&s system myself.i've got a nur spec r altered to suit the downpipe on at the moment,its VERY loud
the novelty of its wore off now though,if the tubular headers don't mellow it a bit i think it'll be a hayward and scott
Old 13 February 2008, 10:32 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I had the straight through H&S, turbo etc fitted on the 4th Feb and then ordered a resonated section on the 5th, which was delivered on the 7th (cheers Ian) and fitted by Powerstation on Monday before mapping.

The straight through H&S system drones a bit at around 80 mph / 3K and even worse when the VVT kicks in around 3.2K. The resonated section is the perect compromise - quiet enough to have a conversation in the cabin, but still pops and bangs out the back and sounds awesome on full chat
Old 14 February 2008, 06:42 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Would I be correct in assuming my VF22 is a dinosaur compared to the MD321H?
Old 14 February 2008, 07:14 AM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Yes mate,

IMO the VF22 was never a good turbo, too fragile.

No Offence

Last edited by Northern Nick; 14 February 2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 14 February 2008, 10:58 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Looks like I might go for some GT-Spec headers/up-pipe to a 3" revolution turbo back, not meant to be loud so i would be happy, The H&S 2.5" is getting a little restrictive around the 400 area.
Old 09 May 2009, 10:14 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

An update to this old thread...I had the car remapped on Tuesday after fitting GT SPEC headers. Made a good difference to torque and I was surprised how similar the spool is to the ported headers and up-pipe previously fitted. There's probably only 100rpm in it between them.

Power wise, 402bhp @ 1.4 BAR and about 345lbft, although the figure on the road would be higher as it makes more boost on the road (1.55 BAR compared to 1.45 on the rollers). On the road, it hits 1 BAR at 3,100rpm.

The car was mapped by Pat Herborn at Surrey Rolling road, with a tweak on the road afterwards. Highly recommended

I'd recommend Mark at Lateral Performance for the GT Spec headers, he helped me out and provides good customer service, top man.

Old 09 May 2009, 11:20 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Whats your full spec if you dont mind me asking please?
Old 10 May 2009, 06:45 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Almost identical to mine !

LOL

dunx
Old 24 May 2009, 12:22 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisdicko
Whats your full spec if you dont mind me asking please?
Hybrid FMIC / K&N CAIK
650CC injectors
Hayward and Scott 3" exhaust
Lateral GT Spec tubular manifold wrapped
MD321H
Oil catch can
Pat Herborn map
Dump valve removed
Carl Davies header tank spacers
Zerosports thermostat
Excedy Organic clutch
Knocklink
V-Power juice
Mobile 1 15/50 oil
Old 24 May 2009, 12:25 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Almost identical to mine !

LOL

dunx
Wicked turbo, but I think I need to forge the engine to truely unleach it Imagine what 1.8/1.9 BAR feels like
Old 24 May 2009, 11:58 AM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

The car was mapped by Pat Herborn at Surrey Rolling road, with a tweak on the road afterwards. Highly recommended

I'd recommend Mark at Lateral Performance for the GT Spec headers, he helped me out and provides good customer service, top man.

Good combo of team to have on board for upgrades and mapping - Pat was able to get 422bhp / 400lbs from my std 2 ltr - 15k later and still strong as ever!
Old 25 May 2009, 12:15 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine managed 2 bar before mapping.....

ASTOUNDING !

dunx
Old 25 May 2009, 02:00 AM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

respect!
Old 21 October 2009, 09:10 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Another update on my quest for power. I've been collecting some parts over the last few months - harvey GT spec up-pipe, Lateral Silicon turbo inlet hose, carl davey inlet manifiold spacers and CDF pulleys.

Had them fitted last week by the squealer, Bulldog Twyford, who did a great job as usual. Driving from the dealers I could feel the car wanting to pull from further down the rev range with boost building from as low as 2000rpm.

Had Pat check over the map yesterday at Surrey Rolling road and the car ran the following figures (sorry for the dodgy quality):

It's an increase of 300rpm to 1 BAR on the dyno. Power at 4000rpm is a massive 50bhp & 60lbft more

Not sure why the power dropped off a bit towards 6500rpm, may be the K&N filter in the wing is struggling.

The inlet manifold spacers do a great job making the manifiold warm to the touch even after an hours driving. Before fitting it was too hot to keep a hand on.

I'm sure each of the parts helped, but I think harvey's up-pipe had a big part to play. Well worth the £150

Btw Dunx, if you read this, I agree the turbo sounds louder with the Lateral turbo hose!

Anders
Old 21 October 2009, 11:23 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

be interesting to see an overlay of the boost curve too. Boost could have been slightly lower on the latest run.
Old 22 October 2009, 07:57 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Btw Dunx, if you read this, I agree the turbo sounds louder with the Lateral turbo hose!

But in a good way ?

LOL

dunx
Old 22 October 2009, 09:01 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Not sure why the power dropped off a bit towards 6500rpm, may be the K&N filter in the wing is struggling.
I've just fitted Harvey's up-pipe for GT Spec headers and also experienced more low down and midrange torque. However, like you, we also found (on Zen's rollers) a slight drop off in power (about 10bhp) over 6500rpm. I use a Hyperflow wing-mounted air intake so maybe it's something inherent in the up-pipe design?

Cheers, Andrew
Old 22 October 2009, 09:51 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lateral Performance
be interesting to see an overlay of the boost curve too. Boost could have been slightly lower on the latest run.
Boost was 1.4BAR @ 6500rpm on the old run and 1.45 on the latest. Torque is 10lbft better at 6000rpm, but 10lbft worse at 6500rpm.

Overall I prefer the feel of the car now

Quick Reply: MD321H is a goodun'