POORDRIVE MINI MUDFLAPS, AVAILABLE NOW

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2000, 09:24 AM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hello all,
Brought to you by MTR the chairman of POORDRIVE (any similarity with any companies of similar name is purely coincidental),
and this company is run for free for everybody, and is NON PROFIT MAKING.
Company motto, 'We have more sense than money'.

All you need is a pair of scissors, a 2 pence coin, a bradawl or drill, and some upvc sheet or polypropelene sheet ie black toy box.

NO DRILLING OF YOUR CAR BODYWORK IS NEEDED

Happy Christmas one and all, and think with the money you save, you can buy the kids some more presents/ go to the pub and get plastered/buy the wife something naughty but nice, or send a donation to the poor and needy, you know, a small struggling multi million pound Motorsport company, for example.

If you want to stop the paint disapearing from the lower area of your front wings and front doors, these guards work very well, and apparently, although I have never seen them, follow a style which is now (but wasn't at the time I initially posted July 02 2000) like that offered by Prodrive.

Start by cutting two pieces of 1.5mm thick UPVC sheet, or similar, into 9.5" x 3" rectangles.
Mark a line 1.25" up along one short side.
Draw a line from this to the upper far corner at the opposite end of the rectangle, creating a triangular shape, and cut along this line.
Draw around a 2P piece and create corner radii at all corners.
Mark out and drill 2 off 1/4" diameter holes as follows.
Measuring from the 90 degree corner of the triangle at the wide end.
2.5" up 1.9" in from the long adjacent side (not the hypothenuse).
8.6" up 0.7" in from the long adjacent side) not the hypothenuse).
Progressivelly open the holes up to allow the plastic clips (which you have previously removed)on the car to pass through.

To fit to the car, the lower clip on the car, passing through the sill extension is removed by pushing the centre pin in the middle of the clipback slightly, allowing the top hat section clip to be removed.
Push the pin back out so it protrudes above the clip for refitting.
Once the new guard is in position, fit the clip, and tap the centre pin back in.

The upper clip, is removed by turning the screw head centre section anticlockwise, and it should pop out like a camlock fastener, and then the clip can be removed. If the centre portion of the clip will not turn easily, try WD40, or get a very small sharp screwdriver, and dig into the clip to pop the centre section towards you. You should be able to see a circular line on the head of the clip, showing were it splits.
Once removed, fit new guard and push the clip back in position.

Sorry to labour about how to remove the clips, but unless you have taken them out previously, there is every chance you would break them discovering how they come out, and have to buy new ones.

Edited to inform you that B & Q sell polythene/polpropelene type storage container LIDS for 98p in small size, which would make a pair of guards, or larger ones for £1.98 would probably make 3 or 4 sets of guards.
The lids are in dark green or dark blue.

Or you could buy black mud flap material from the rallying type retailers, Demon Tweeks etc

The other make' of this design of mudflap costs approx £360 per square yard.

For the people that find it hard to visualise, try cutting up an old mouse mat, and that is pretty much what the P1 flaps are like, Technical Eh!

Just to clarify, the flap on the car is slightly different in profile to the one lent on the sill.
The instrctions are to create the one against the sill, obviously the attchment holes you need are larger than the one shown, as I now fasten them directly with the wheelarch clips, initailly I had them screwed into the clips, with self tappers.

If the pictures don't come up, right click on the red cross, and select 'show picture'

For comparison, here is a picture of Sunils genuine Prodrive rubber mudflaps. £20/pair

Cheers MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 24 December 2000).]
Old 23 December 2000, 02:39 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MTR,
for those of us with a poor imagination, have you got any piccies?

Cheers
Old 23 December 2000, 03:41 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Sickboy,
As we speak, a neighbour with a digital camera has taken some pictures for me, and I will attempt to put them on here, later today.
But I have absolutely no idea how to do that yet.

Just try cutting a piece of cardboard out, to the dimensions I have stated, and offer it up to your car, with the right angle corner of the triangle facing outboard on the car.
It should then give you a very good idea of what the upvc item would look like.

I would just like to say also, to the members on here that have bought the official rubber, not carbon fibre laminate as apparently fitted to the P1 in the pictures, which I have still not seen, nor have I seen the 'cheaper' rubber alternative stoneguards, realise that had I not posted my original post in July,detailing my cheap and cheerful stonegaurds, Prodrive had not considered putting a type of stoneguard up for sale, and have done so only as a consequnce of the interest generated by my original posting.

So to all those of you that have benefitted, from some of my suggestions like Dodgy wax, iffy fuel, and now (I can't afford the car, P1, but I'll buy the mudflaps), stoneguards, have a very happy Christmas.

SunilP, given your very strong negative feelings voiced over my other suggestions, YOU could even try saying thanks
But I won't hold my breath.
I hope you are very happy with your stoneguards.

Cheers MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 23 December 2000).]
Old 23 December 2000, 04:37 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Angry

>>So to all those of you that have benefitted, from some of my suggestions like Dodgy wax, iffy fuel

MTR, I have no beef with you personally, but statements like these cause me to dislike you, despite the time of year.

Also, I hope you do realize that the use of the name "Poordrive Engineering" is not exactly doing a favor to the guys that run this BBS ?

Somehow, I feel you might want to redesign your online personality. I realize you do a good job in organizing meets, and I'm sure this mudflap thing is done with the best intentions, but your presentation *sucks* big time.

Hope you or your family are not offended by my language.

Theo
Old 23 December 2000, 05:14 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Theo,
The referance to Poordrive (not poordrive engineering), is a tongue in cheek dig at MYSELF, not some other company with a similar name.
If you notice on the tyre thread that you recently posted on, I explain why I jokingly called myself the chairman of Poor Drive, in that I do not have much disposable income.
And the mudflap idea is like most of my others,a cheapskate idea, but effective.

The comments about dodgy wax iffy fuel, are simply repeating the comments made about me, although in a much stronger vain, by Sunil, bless him.
It was meant in a light hearted manner, and that is why after I suggested to Sunil he could thank me, I added a smiley face.

I have no beef with you either, but it does appear as though you are you are possibly getting the wrong end of the stick, so to speak, with the message I am attempting to convey.

That is there are sometimes cheaper alternatives.

I cannot make you like me, Sunil doesn't appear to either, but please try and read what I am saying in the context in which it is written, which I accept is sometimes difficult when you are not speaking face to face, and only reading text.

You must realise by now, what a skinflint I am.

I honestly thought that the 'POOR' Drive title would give OTHER people a laugh at yet another cheapskate idea from yours truly, and I chuckled as I wrote it.
I have no problem with people classing me as a tight wad, and if it makes them smile thats fine.

Please don't allow preconceptions about me, based on previous postings, cloud your judgement of me.

Its very easy to typecast an individual as dislikeable, I know because I have done it, and then dimiss everything they subsequently write, and want to pick fights with them!

I hope you have a Happy Christmas, and irrespective of the time of year, I have no desire to fall out with any of the individuals on here.

Cheers MTR

Old 23 December 2000, 05:32 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

MTR

Please don't take Evil Weevils post (nice effort on Robot Wars by the way )as being representative. I'm sure most of us here greatly appreciate your hints and tips and your sense of humour as well.

Merry Christmas one and all!

Mick
Old 23 December 2000, 06:26 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

MTR, i have no need to thank you. I got mine supplied and fitted free with my 18" wheels

Before this goes any further i would like to remind you that your hairbrained 2p wax ideas 1) indirectly (directly even?) tried to discredit an established supporter/supplier to the Scooby community and and all round nice guy and 2) Could have caused undesirable longterm effects to other members cars, for which they would have no recourse against you to recover any potential financial loss.

I appreciate it would be harder, if not impossible, to do that with your mudflaps but for the sake of saving 8.50 (which, by the time I've driven to and trawled round B&Q and spent time mucking around is no longer a saving) I, for one, wouldnt be interested.

Perhaps if you spent more time working, earning extra income, instead of devoting huge amounts of time thinking up such botch job ideas you might have some more disposable income?

Mary Kiss My *** to you

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 23 December 2000).]
Old 23 December 2000, 06:46 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hello all,
I hope there should be some pictures of my cheapskate mudflaps on the first posting

Sunil,
A mary Kiss my **** to you also.

I thought they were £8'50 +VAT EACH or nearly £20. Thats a weeks groceries for us Northern folk.

But you have to accept, Mike Wood stated that they hadn't intended marketing these guards, and have done so only after the interest generated by my posting.

So some benefit has come out of one of my hairbrained ideas.

Cheers MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 24 December 2000).]
Old 23 December 2000, 07:15 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Cheers MTR
This is just what I have been waiting for - after Christmas lunch when everyone is stuffed and a bit pst, instead of charades accompanied by synchronised frting, we can have teams trying to follow your instructions to make mudflaps (having to read them from the vdu - not a printout).
- or not.
Thanks for trying to pass on a good tip to the ungrateful !

Have a good break

Stan

Old 23 December 2000, 08:03 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The ability to use your imagination and ingenuity is a wonderful thing, it is the only reason that i can afford to run a rallycar, and it is only on the back of such creativity that some of the most skilled people in Motorsport today have managed to compete at all. It is something to be proud of, rather than just throwing money at a car gaining nothing but a stack of receipts. It also keeps your hands out of your pockets on a cold afternoon.

Owain McRae.
Old 23 December 2000, 08:38 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Smile

I think this is cool idea MTR

Without prejudice to ANY contributor to this bbs, I do observe that our modern culture often values presentation over content.

JD
Old 23 December 2000, 09:07 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

MTR...thanks for your suggestions.

I did your recent wiring mod to incorporate the driving lamps into the main beam dip circuit, and that has proved to be very useful indeed.

Take no notice of EvilBevel's comments, in fact his alias should be EvilBowel, cos he is so full of ......

Whatever you may think of DIY mods the enthusiasm of guys like MTR is in my view an asset to ScoobyNet.

[This message has been edited by stratman (edited 23 December 2000).]
Old 23 December 2000, 09:38 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

MTR

I like the idea, how about a full size template so that we can print it off an cut it out - holes and everything?

Stratman

How's it hanging? Just started modd'in the new scoob, let's meet sometime.

F
Old 23 December 2000, 11:03 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

>>I cannot make you like me, Sunil doesn't appear to either, but please try and read what I am saying in the context in which it is written

I will try to MTR, but I have not much trust in the fact that your words will still be there in the morning. And you know damn well what I am getting at ! So I'll choose my own "end of the stick" if you don't mind.

Poor has different meanings. When I was poor, I couldn't even afford to get a drivers licence, let alone run a scoob, but I suppose you can be poor, run a scoob, pay for the fuel, and then have all the time in the world to write about mudflaps. Not my kind of "poor", but it takes all kinds I suppose.

I also hate it when people try to put words into my mouth: I have not commented on the offering of cheap mods: I think that's commendable actually. I commented on the very childish use of Poordrive, and the silly way of trying to get even on threads that have passed away 4 months ago (when you did your big disappearance act after your holier then thou thread.

Oh, and Mick and stratman: it must have used up just about a whole years worth of your imagination to come up with "evil weevil" and "evilbowel". I don't seem to remember your posts before (there must be a reason for that), but remind me next time you come to a UK meeting to say that in my face. You are gonna have a *real* laugh. Always a bad idea to play the big boy on the internet without anything to back it up.

MTR, if you want to have more jabs at JF or Mark Underwood, please do so out in the open (iffy fuel and dodgy wax remember). I personally still feel you are less than honest with your posts, and you can be damned sure I would say the same thing to you in person.

Now I'll let you "poor" people get on about your mudflaps.

Have a ball,

Theo
Old 23 December 2000, 11:40 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Theo,
One individual made the comment within one post about dodgy wax and iffy fuel, and it was Sunil, not JF or Mark.

I was poking fun at the fact that Sunil has now got the P1 style mudflaps, made commercially available by Prodrive due to the interest generated by my original thread on the mudflaps, when he has previously been quite brusk (no offence has ever been taken by me for that fact Sunil, we all have our opinions), with some of my other cheapskate suggestions.

It was somewhat ironic, I thought.

I will E-mail you with the reasons for my post deletions, to clarify your misunderstanding of my motives.

Cheers MTR
Old 24 December 2000, 12:58 AM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MTR,

Thanks for the idea. I will be making some over the holidays.

Scotty
Old 24 December 2000, 09:16 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Merry Christmas cheapskates and Eurotrashers and lets not argue please

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 24 December 2000).]
Old 24 December 2000, 11:53 AM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Floyd

Its hanging fine ...how you doin.

What mods have you been up to?...yeah we should meet up again some time.
Old 24 December 2000, 01:21 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MTR,
good man and thanks for letting us know.

EvilBevel get off your high horse!

Happy Christmas all.
Old 24 December 2000, 02:53 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Calm down ladies, my mate Theo has a point. I would get involved but this thread is too friggin long thats being written by complete pratts who dont know anything! So come on people (MTR) get a life and stop acting like a C??T

Harj..... When I do get round to reading this boring thread I may add something of value and keep the insults to 1 liners please.
Old 24 December 2000, 07:15 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Whats got into you lot ? have you all been drinking too much Xmas cheer or something ?

I can't see why you're (you know who) having a go at MTR for this post ? surely MTR's post is tongue in cheek enough for people not to take offence ?

Evilbevel

Did you mean your post's to be quite that offensive ? or are they just reading that way ?

If the former, I would have thought you could have stated your opinion in a far less 'antagonistic' way. And as for your veiled threats of personal violence towards people who have taken the **** out of your online username !! (I'll stop there)

Gary
Old 24 December 2000, 10:37 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Angry

Theo is actually a proper nice bloke.

Lets calm it down chaps and why not all say this to theo when you see him

I shall supply the kevlar trousers and riot gear!

Merry Xmass
R
Old 24 December 2000, 10:52 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Ronaldo

**** that, the guy sounds like a Pshycho nutter knuckle scrapping violent b@stard to me, I'm not going anywhere near the bugger.

I'm checking real carefully before going to any meets. No way I wan't my head kicked in by some lunatic because of some stupid comment made on a bulletin board.

(I am a wimp actually, you wouldn't have to be to 'hard' to smash me into a pulp )

Gary
Old 25 December 2000, 08:10 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Back on topic - would be better to use flexible rubber than uPVC. That way you can clean behind them without removing them!

Back off topic - the Prodrive ones are already rubber, and for the sake of 2x £8.50 it isn't worth the hassle, there are better things to do at Xmas than spending a half a day at down at B&Q and in the garage making mud flaps for your car you guys need to get out more

Gary (with Prodrive mud/stone guards)

Happy Xmas - don't spend it all in the garage, or at least make sure your anorak is insulated, its cold out
Old 25 December 2000, 10:45 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well done Gary for applying some common sense to saving 17 quid + VAT
Old 26 December 2000, 01:17 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

you mean £17 MINUS..

cost of rubber/uPVC
cost of fixings
cost of petrol to B&Q
cost of sanity when doesn't go right
cost of drinking time
cost of grief from wife/partner/lover for spending hours of boxing day in garage

1:10pm on boxing day - just got up, about to pop out to take presents to family (with Prodrive mudguards keeping car clean , before returning car and partaking a few flagons of festive ale.

Have fun in the garage everyone! and wrap up warm, its still icy outside
Old 26 December 2000, 01:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

hey, dont forget wear and tear on your tools, cost of tools cos half of you guys dont have any cost of petrol for the trip to casualty when you've sliced your finger off with a stanley knife LOL

have a fun, safe holiday, buggered if i'm going in the garage today.
Old 26 December 2000, 05:15 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chaplin, you should be an accountant

John, you should be Indian

Sunil
Old 26 December 2000, 05:37 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

>>Chaplin, you should be an accountant

Sunil, this is downright insulting

Best Eurotrashy wishes m8

Theo
Old 27 December 2000, 09:14 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by sunilp:
<B>Chaplin, you should be an accountant

John, you should be Indian

Sunil[/quote]

I used to be But realised that being a Yorkshire Accountant was too dangerous a mix and there were easier ways to make more money

mmm always thought JF had a good tan.....

Quick Reply: POORDRIVE MINI MUDFLAPS, AVAILABLE NOW