Sponsored by:

Joined the ranks of ImprezaLess Members

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2000, 03:00 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well after a bit of fannying about, Ive finally sold my much loved MY93 WRX. Im appaled at what I got for it, and Im sure a few of you (particularly those of you who knew the car) will be too.

Its fair to say Ive never done business with such an absolute bufoon, I hope he does post here and reads this, just know youre kind are not welcome!!
To cut a long story short, the car was advertised at £7000. Spec wise, it was all left on and I removed nothing except the [brand new] Stereo, just fitted.
Travelled 1/2 way down the country to meet a guy, the arrangement was; if it was what I said it was he would pay the asking price, cash and that would be that.

Turned up, guy test drives car, guy asks stupid questions, guy offers me £6000!!!
Whether or not my car was overpriced, You dont agree to look at a car for £7k and offer £1k less...no no. Literally 40 mins went by of him saying £6000, I eventually dropped to £6200 bit by bit...doh (wot was I thinking....I know) he agreed and extended his hand, I went to shake and as my hand touched his, he says £6100....You can imagine my reply, what a horrible thing to do!! I was enraged and couldnt belive he was haggling over the car, he obviously had no clue what he was looking at. He eventually says £6150 (his only raise of the deal) and says Ill buy you a cup of tea!! ( I kid you not) I politely told him to keep his tea, get his cash and get out of my site.

So theyre we go, Ive let one go for £6150, anyone gone lower!! Seems silly, but, look at it like this, Id driven 3 hrs, bearing in mind I had my mate follow me. I was left with a decision, do I take it or do I travel home with a now uninsured car (renewal was £2560!!) and risk being left with it.

Im truly annoyed at myslef, but also a bit thankful its gone. Just cant help thinking Id rather one of you guys had it for the same money....taking the pi55....I think so.

Feeling a bit down and would appreciate a group hug

Bye for now, off to look at the photos!!

Rich

Anyone got a self destruct by proxy function ??????
Old 26 December 2000, 09:44 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've sold heaps of motorbikes when I used to race (two per year maybe three).

I know the breed you are talking about.....I dont mind a bit of a haggle but if it goes on for too long and you firmly say "this is the lowest I go" I then tell them to f@@@@@rk offfffffff ! ! ! !

Anyway, hope you had a good christmas.
Old 27 December 2000, 07:54 AM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

I would just like to say that Richie's car was the cleanest early WRX I've seen, in fact it was in a lot better condition than a few MY99's I've seen. It sounded fantastic too.

I'm sorry to hear how much is was sold for. He really has been robbed. Don't know how the buyer can sleep at night.

YoHoFeckingHo

Chris
Old 27 December 2000, 11:09 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris, you dont wanna know how many people have said...."6100, jesus, Id have given you more!!!".

As I said, it was a decision I had to make miles from home.

Thanks again M8, hope to be back in the loop in the not TOO distant future.

Best Regards

Rich

PS Hope youre Chrimbo was good.

PPS re sleeping at night, I would say my voodoo doll takes care of that!!
Old 27 December 2000, 11:47 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Richie,
You should enroll yourself on a negotiation skills training course. I used to get 'done over' every time I set my eyes on a new object of desire. First the salesman would get the arm in on the new purchase and then the buyer of the whatever I was trying to sell would have me by the b*****ks as I would need money in a hurry for the salesman. I went on a training course through work which has easily saved me 10k in the last 2 or 3 years. Most important thing it taught me was never to get stuck with two evils... i.e. drop the price or pay the insurance etc.

p.s. You have to admit that if you where buying the car and got it for 6100 you would have been well pleased...
Old 27 December 2000, 02:24 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Richie, that's spoiled the festivities for two of us.

Heaven knows how many times I looked at that post but didn't respond... Rationalised with too far to travel, when I get there it will be a dog anyway. Don't really want another one till after the winter, not my colour etc etc.

True I still may not have bought it, who knows. At least you'd get a meal from Mrs Banshi, a coffee and a wee dram to set you up for the run North. Hope we both learned a little from this.

My New Years Resolution:- Not to be (quite) such a prat, made yours yet!

There again: A warranty would be useful, I did want a blue one, perhaps something not quiet so old. Could always P/x for a P1.

Well resolutions are meant to be broken

Old 28 December 2000, 08:00 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Fast Bloke:

Good point but wasnt really a case of holding out for the cash (unfortunately) cos this guy was nearer to his house than I was. Also for reasons outlined above (ie insurance etc) I had to take the hit. Ill have to try a course and be a real harsh barsteward next time!! Yeah I would have been happy buying it for £6100, who wouldnt, I couldnt have slept at night though!! This guy didnt even appreciate what he was haggling over. He summed it up by saying oh I wanted a Green one...WELL WTF DID YOU COME AND LOOK AT A SILVER ONE THEN?? and they didnt make imports in green then......spoon!!

Banshi:

Ive done that B4 too, should always look into these things I reckon. It could have been a dog and the whole travel thing can be a bind, but Id have done it for a cup of rosie and one of Mrs Banshis mincie pies!!

Cheers all, sympathy cards to......

Rich