Sponsored by:

buying a classic with a blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2007, 01:00 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a classic with a blown engine

right guys i am in two minds in what to do! i am thinking of starting a project off but i am in two minds if to buy a car with a good engine with some supporting mods, and pay the market price or to buy a car with a blown engine and replace it myself.

i am thinking of a sti 4 or 5 i am not to fussed be it a wagon, type r or standard sti.

my thoughts are to go for a 2.5ltr conversion as i am reading more and more positives about this set up, i wont be dragging or track daying it (well maybe one or two track days) so the thoughts were to go 2.5ltr

my question is taking that all aside how much should you aim or think to pay for a car with a blown engine (on the models above)? how much should they be selling for if they are running right and how much should they be if the engine was blown? is it viable and cost saving to do it this way if you are intending to replace the engine?

any advice or views would be great

thanks

steve
Old 23 December 2007, 01:04 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Work out how much an engine is (standard replacement that is) and deduct that from the market value of the car... plus perhaps a bit extra for the hassle of having to fit the engine.
Old 23 December 2007, 03:07 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

any ideas on what a standard replacement engine costs? i know on my p1 the guy who had it b4 me spent £4k on a new engine and fitting from subaru, so i am i right in thinking i have seen a v4 sti wagon for sale at £5800 if the engine was blown would it only be worth £1800 plus a little less for the hassle etc i myself cant see it only being worth £1500

any views

steve
Old 23 December 2007, 03:45 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I *THINK* I've seen EJ25's going for about £1600?

Personally, I'd push really hard to pay as little as possible for the car itself, at the end of the day its not like its running!

As your going to do the work yourself then I think its a winning plan
Old 23 December 2007, 03:52 PM
bill.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
my thoughts are to go for a 2.5ltr conversion as i am reading more and more positives about this set up, i wont be dragging or track daying it (well maybe one or two track days) so the thoughts were to go 2.5ltr

steve
can i ask why you saying you wont be doing any dragging or track days so your going for a 2.5ltr? what i mean is what does this have to do with it?

ps. i'm not being funny, is there a reason why a 2.0 ltr would be better for dragging or tracking or have i just read to much into it lol

also how much is it to get a 2.5 lump in a classic
Old 23 December 2007, 04:07 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

ok as for the mention of dragging etc, i put that in so people knew my plans so they did not facter in a massive bill for engine build etc with regards to a full on track monster i fancy aiming for 400bhp and similar tourque, so from my readig this seems to be an easier target with a 2.5 lump.

regarding the the 2ltr being better for draggiong etc just bits and bobs i have read and again i aybe wrong but it seems to be peopes opinion that the 2.5 is better suited for every day use due to the higher tourque where as the 2ltr is a more revyer engine which suits the drag/tarck day.

i may be wrong and yes i know supporting mods will be needed but it is my understanding that a 2.5ltr bottom end is cabable of running 400bhp with supporting mods where as the 2tr lump will need uprated pistons, rods etc etc which starting costing a whole load of cash then plus the supportingmods it can start getting very high. from what i have seen there is not a massive ammount of difference in price for a 2.5ltr to a 2.0ltr bottom end and the ehads from the 2ltr fit so it was my thought that i may as well go for the 2.5 if i was getting a car with a blown engine. aslo another thing i have read is that whilst the 2.5 lump is out it is worth fitting uprated pistions cost of around £600 just incase the power output is ever decided to be rasied again lol.

back to my original train of thought was is it worth buying a car with a blown engine if you intend to do an engine conversion to a 2.5? and waht people thought the cost of the car should be so i dont over pay. i can see that if you wnat to do a 2ltr high bhp project then fine buy a car with a solid 2ltr lump as it would save the purchace cost of a new 2ltr lump. which i swhy i was asking regarding cars with blown up engines as if i buy one with it blown for £1.5k-£2k chreaper i have the cost of the engine sorted, then add the cost of supporting mods i should end up with a nice little project on my hands.

any opinions or views are welcome, this will be an ongoing prolect as i have a daily drive at the moment so it odes not all need to hapeen over night,

steve
Old 23 December 2007, 04:29 PM
bill.
Scooby Regular

cheers pal, you've obviously done your research
Old 23 December 2007, 04:38 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

any ideas on what a standard replacement engine costs? i know on my p1 the guy who had it b4 me spent £4k on a new engine and fitting from subaru, so i am i right in thinking i have seen a v4 sti wagon for sale at £5800 if the engine was blown would it only be worth £1800 plus a little less for the hassle etc i myself cant see it only being worth £1500

any views

steve
The theory is correct, although I would be surprised if a v4 STi wagon engine is worth £4k. I'm not sure on actual cost (ring around perhaps?) but I would have thought in the region of £2-£3K?
Old 23 December 2007, 04:43 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I bought a w reg classic for £1.5k with a blown engine. It was quite a good deal, but be careful as there could be other things wrong that you can't really know until the car is moving. For example, the previous owner ddn't bother telling me both front discs were warped or the stereo makes a whining noise when ignition is on.
Old 23 December 2007, 05:15 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most cars with blown engines will still be worth a fair amount - for the spares value alone, so you'd be lucky to get it for peanuts!

I think that £4000+ for a replacement engine is far too much for an old car. I wouldn't buy a £1500 car and put a £4000 engine in it. I'd say you'd get a second hand engine and drop it in. So, maybe £1500 or so.

That you make a £4000 car £2500. Does that seem realistic?

Good luck in your search.
Old 23 December 2007, 06:35 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

ygpssti4 thanks for you radvice, that was what i was thinking, i would go for a second hand 2.5 unit for 1800ish maybe less depending on millage , who is selling etc, then drop it in to the shell with soem supporting mods, turbo, injectors, fmic etc etc then a 400bhp figure should be ok.

am i on the right tracks or have i lossed my train of thought?
Old 23 December 2007, 06:44 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

any views

steve
I agree, the cars sell for more than their net worth after youve deducted the cost of the repair.