Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petol prices - why no action this time?

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2007, 09:38 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petol prices - why no action this time?

The last time fuel prices edges well over a pound / litre, there were talks about mass strikes and demonstrations. Why has everyone accepted the recent prices without that much talk about it?

Ok, the prices have crept up slowly, but surely it's time to start some demonstations! I can afford the costs, but I still hate being fleeced by the oil companies and governent.

It's mad that the oil companies control how much is being produced to create artificial shortages, to push up prices. If Microsoft tried summit like that, they'd be in court paying millions in fines!

Anders
Old 06 November 2007, 09:42 PM
ScoobyLee2000
Scooby Regular

I agree its now £1.07 per litre for v-power @ my local Shell garage..getting stupid...
Old 06 November 2007, 09:55 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Petrol is not expensive, the Oil Companies are not ripping you off, It is the Goverment with its TAX
Old 06 November 2007, 09:55 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certainly when the next round of government rises comes along there should be a major act of disruption. At the moment there is a remote chance that the price may drop as the price/barrel of oil falls?
Although we are ruled by one of the most unpopular governments in memory (and I've seen a few!) don't expect any better treatment from Cameron and his crew. I can't see them letting up on fuel price rises under the ludicrous and transparent "green" excuse.
JohnD
Old 06 November 2007, 10:04 PM
wraggy78
Scooby Regular

My shell garage its at 1.12 a litre
Still worth every penny
Old 06 November 2007, 10:11 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

It is getting silly with the fuel and road tax costs... and annoyingly as stated above it has been cleverly introduced under the environmental banner to gain public support/acceptance when in truth the only green element is the colour of money.

Hopefully people will wake up soon.
Old 06 November 2007, 10:13 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

The government are a bunch of hypocrits. If they are so bothered about carbon emmisions, why don't they use video conferencing instead of flying all over the world to discuss enviromental issues!

I would like to ask Gorden Brown what he woud do if everyone stopped using petrol tomorrow. I don't mean if we all went on strike - I mean would the Government be pleased that we we're all being green, or would they poop their pants and wonder where they are going to raise the lost tax money from?
Old 06 November 2007, 10:14 PM
hardsy555
Scooby Regular

in some of the garages down yer in devon its 105 for the normal litter let alone v-power. the problem is were all to bloody soft they wouldnt get away with it if they tried it in the rest of europe there would be war.
Old 06 November 2007, 10:22 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DEEDEE
Petrol is not expensive, the Oil Companies are not ripping you off, It is the Goverment with its TAX
Yep. Just got to look at the price of red diesel.
Old 06 November 2007, 10:24 PM
White ST
Scooby Regular

Well i know its not petrol but i run a distribution company with 6 vans and 6 lorries try getting your head round an average feul bill of £1100 aday in diesel!!!!!
i know it may seem big headed of me but without transport the country would soon come to a halt and that includes everyone as petrol stations would soon be dry!! if i wanted i could rant on all day about this but i wont bore you at the end of the day feul bills go up =higher prices in good movent and it soon has a large knock on effect for us all
Old 06 November 2007, 10:27 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

actually it's not all the tax.. it's opec adn the price per barrell.. and then the garages taking advantage!!!!! we're pushing 1.05 a litre for normal super around here and 1.00 for normal unleaded...
Old 06 November 2007, 10:28 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

I was only thinking earlier about why there hasn't been any talk of fuel protests as I was filling up with V-Power at 105.9 !

Maybe we should all organise a huge scooby convoy in protest of the fuel cost ?
Old 06 November 2007, 10:33 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
I was only thinking earlier about why there hasn't been any talk of fuel protests as I was filling up with V-Power at 105.9 !

Maybe we should all organise a huge scooby convoy in protest of the fuel cost ?
People complain freely, few are willing to act.
Old 06 November 2007, 10:41 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
People complain freely, few are willing to act.
I know,it's a shame though because it's getting out of hand now.

It'll be £1.10p a litre before we know it.

And they wonder why so called "drive-offs" are increasing !
Old 06 November 2007, 10:41 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

It has got a bit silly in the last month

Went to fill up yesterday at the local Shell - but they had no VPower. I was nearly empty so had to put some BP Ultimate in (just down the road).

I nearly choked when i saw it was 110.9p
Old 07 November 2007, 12:09 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

£300 tax this year, £400 next year ... in 5 years time

TX.

Edit - didn't Govt change the Law after last demonstrations so that it wouldn't happen again?

Originally Posted by Mikkel
It is getting silly with the fuel and road tax costs... and annoyingly as stated above it has been cleverly introduced under the environmental banner to gain public support/acceptance when in truth the only green element is the colour of money.

Hopefully people will wake up soon.

Last edited by Terminator X; 07 November 2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07 November 2007, 12:47 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

They tried raising the prices at my local station, but the computer said "no"

Suited me, as I just put in £60 worth of 95Ron
Old 07 November 2007, 07:24 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Yep. Just got to look at the price of red diesel.
You're right, If I ever get a disiesel (and I might due to the firm relocating) I'm going to run it on this

Nationwide clampdown on illegal use of Red Diesel : Directgov - Newsroom

"This isn’t about cheating the Government out of a few pounds, it’s about depriving our public services of vital funding".

Wouldn't that make you feel so guilty

Gordon Brown, miserable Scotch tosspot..

Last edited by Norman Dog; 07 November 2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07 November 2007, 09:41 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If this happened in France, they'd be blocking ports and burning sheep.

We British just pull our pants down and let the government f*ck us all up the @rse.

I hope the stikes happen. I'd happily do without my car for a week or so if it meant lower fuel prices.
Gordon Brown must laugh with other world leaders as to how they can do what they want to the British public, and get away with it every time.
Old 07 November 2007, 10:36 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
If this happened in France, they'd be blocking ports and burning sheep.

We British just pull our pants down and let the government f*ck us all up the @rse.

I hope the stikes happen. I'd happily do without my car for a week or so if it meant lower fuel prices.
Gordon Brown must laugh with other world leaders as to how they can do what they want to the British public, and get away with it every time.
Bang on there mate,
Old 07 November 2007, 11:03 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

One of the many reaons im seriously considering moving abroad! why do our government take the most in tax and do the least with the funding, other than pay themselves stupid wages, argue like kids and get 3 months off in the summer!
Plus i thought roadtax was for improving our road infrastructure, most roads in the northwest are really bad, where does all the money go, id like to know!!
Old 07 November 2007, 11:19 AM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

well iv done my bit, I passed my motorcyle test 3 months ago, I only use the scoob now twice a week max, I fill up for about net 4 quid ( as my company pays for my fuel so i Pay the 40% tax) and do about 180 miles less emissions more mpg and less wear and tear of the roads im good me...ok then I go and do 150 miles in the scoob ah well, i did use to do 400 miles a month in the scoob mind you, its down to 150miles now so iv done my bit
Old 07 November 2007, 11:21 AM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

I agree with everything above.

How come the media are this time choosing to ignore this massive rise? I see nothing in the papers, TV news or Radio. When this is effecting us all it should be a top story.

Oh, but there allready onto your 'Red-Deisel' BBC NEWS | England | West Midlands | Cars checked for 'red diesel' use

The problem is its not just petrol that is high in price these days, its everything. So its not suprising that people are going into debt more than ever. BBC news Quote:
Citizens Advice says its staff dealt with a record 1.7 million debt problems during the last 12 months, an increase of 20% on the previous year.
And the sad thing is its not going to change, no matter who we vote or what party is leading. Running a country is a business first, and a leadership last.
Old 07 November 2007, 11:25 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

"This isn’t about cheating the Government out of a few pounds, it’s about depriving our public services of vital funding".
Yeah, wars cost a lot you know!
If the money that was made on fuel tax actually went on improving the roads and public transport, people might be happier to pay ... I know I would.
Old 07 November 2007, 11:34 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fizz
actually it's not all the tax.
No not all - approximately 75% of it though.
Old 07 November 2007, 11:40 AM
scouse2
Scooby Regular

hate all goverments there all money hungry c11nts there not bothered about anything other than there own circumstances more for me less for you
ok i know some of you are happy about the no smoking but all i will say is why did we not get the chance to vote on it ?
at the end of the day people were gettin shafted left right and centre and we as single people can do jacksh.t about it
something really does need doing now as its a joke £1.01 ltr of diesel ......

rant over
danny
Old 07 November 2007, 11:52 AM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

I reckon its because of all the green stuff we have spewed at us. They are brainwashing us that the high price of petrol is justified as it saved the planet by encouraging us to use less petrol.
Old 07 November 2007, 11:58 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Again as with above I run a small haulage company and it really is a problem for us when the prices start to climb this fast. We run our own diesel pumps to try and keep the price down a bit as we fill our tank once a month and the bulk purchase of the fuel saves us about 8p/l over the normal pump price but still its just stupid. We used to employ upwards of 15 local people, mainly drivers. With increasing costs we are down to 7 now, mostly down to insurance, tax and fuel.
Old 07 November 2007, 12:04 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

The last lot of "action" against petrol prices didnt involve targetting government. It involved targetting innocent truck drivers, threatening and sometimes attacking them into having to bottle out of performing their duties... This was just the action of mindless idiots targetting the soft option.

It briefly eased the problem that was never going to go away and alas some of the public were conned into thinking that some kind of moral victory had taken place.

There were innumerable innocent victims from the petrol strike, those who needed to get to work, those who had to ferry the elderly about, small businesses etc along with the inconvenience of millions...

There hasnt been any action since, because most of the public understand that the last "stand" was unlawful, pointless and selfishly inconvenient.

The other point that makes me ponder is that if the government knocks 10% off its fuel tax, do the protestors honestly think that the chancellors red briecase will just take it on the chin? Of course not, each and everyone one of us would get hit in the pocket by Mr Darling through some other form of taxation...

I beat the system, I used my wisdom and bought an economic car Now getting 550 miles from a tank of the heavy fuel (with enough torque to make the b roads interesting). I now give less than half the tax in fuel that I used to to the Chancellor

Not forgetting the ludicrous green drum that the government are banging now which they werent 7 years ago...

It seems that if the public need to voice their concerns over fuel tax, they need to come up with something better than thumping tanker drivers to make the government listen this time...
Old 07 November 2007, 12:16 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

whatever you say about the last strike, it did result in lower prices if only for the short term.

abdabz, you did not beat the system, far from it, you actuly conformed to it I do agree that there are some nice desiel cars mind you.

Quick Reply: Petol prices - why no action this time?