Sponsored by:

Have I been scammed? your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2007, 08:05 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have I been scammed? your thoughts

I would like member’s thoughts as to whether or not they think I have been scammed by another member on here. You’re not allowed to name & shame the person but at least you will learn something from my mistakes.

I replied to a ‘for sale’ thread for an item I wanted. I paid for the item via postal order at the seller preferred requested method. The postal order was posted out on the 5th and the seller was also made aware of this on the same day.
Bearing in mind shortly after this date The Royal mail workers were in dispute and were going on strike action.
A few days later I checked my track & trace number for the mail I sent out but it still showed as not signed for. I checked again on the 13th October & there was no change. So I contacted the seller via pm the same day and asked if it had arrived & explain the strike action may have caused the delay.
The seller responded back with “not received anything yet mate, had a couple of letters, once it arrives i'll be in touch thanks mate”
So it’s not arrived & there is no saying that the sale was off.

On the 26th October I contact customer services at Royal mail & explain that my mail still shows as NOT signed for. They reply back check again tomorrow, if it still shows as not being signed for it will be classed as lost due to it being over 15 working days. Only then they can help me.
So I pm the seller again & explain that the mail may have been lost, once I know for sure it is I will send another postal order out.

The following day I contact Royal mail & they advise me that the mail has not been signed for but the postal order has been cashed on the 18th.
So now I have no proof if the mail was delivered or not. I then was given details of were the postal order was cashed.
So I enter the sellers address & the post office address into auto route to calculate the distance. It works it out to be 3.4 MILES.
So by now I am little suspious but cannot really point any fingers as it could have been intercepted
So I decide to do further investigation of my own.
The Seller is also a member of another Scooby forum but goes by a different user name. I found this out on here by his own thread and words. So I search that forum for more clues & what I found makes me think that this person has scammed me.
Reason being I sent my postal order on the 5th October & the seller is offering it for sale to another member replying to his wanted thread, and that was on the 9th October.

Here is his reply: ive got one from a sti4 its better than a standard early wrx‘ ive got one from a one £25 collected

Member’s replies: will it defo fit.

The seller’s reply: yes it will fit, most peeps upgrade to an alloy 1, as the early ones keep splitting ill bring it to the meet if you like.

So what kind of person make a provisional sale with you on the 5th, fair well knowing that the postal order will take a few days to get to him. Yet offer the same item for sale again on the 9th October to someone else.

Make you own mind up. I know I have!

At the end of the day I am partially to blame for not checking the correct method of sending a postal order out. As I normally use paypal, cash or collect in person.
I only get half hour lunch break so decide to go to the post office during this time to get the postal order. When I was finally got served I asked the casher how do I make sure the postal order is only cashed by the recipient so that he has to show proof of who he is. He replies make it out to his full name & and send it recorded signed for.
What he did not tell me to do is cross mark the postal order so it works like a cheque.
But being a newbie to postal orders I naturally took his advice.

So for future reference always cross your postal orders. As post office don’t always or have to see proof of who that person is. Fact.

I personally think that this guy is not a frequent scammer but if some of the secure procedures are not followed when sending this guy postal orders he will take advantage of it.
There is also another similar incident like this which I heard off a member from here with the same guy. I cannot go into detail as it’s not for me to say. But put it this way his story just confirmed by believe.

I have all receipts & proof of my mail & postal order
As well as copies of the seller threads just incase they are edited.

So you guys have be warned be careful when you decide to pay via postal order.

Ticky
Old 04 November 2007, 08:25 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

related???

Find SUBARU IMPREZA GL WITH STI ENGINE FITTED NO SWAP SWOP on eBay within, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 11-Nov-07 12:08:45 GMT)
Old 04 November 2007, 08:26 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

contact the webmaster on here .... and name the member to see what his reply will be
g luck m8
Old 04 November 2007, 08:27 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

ill let you know tomorrow when i have a spare 2 hours to read the other half of the post.lol
Old 04 November 2007, 08:55 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

No.
Old 04 November 2007, 08:58 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bighead
contact the webmaster on here .... and name the member to see what his reply will be
g luck m8
I have done 4 days ago but no reply yet.

Hopefully I will be able to claim my money back with Royal mail.

Thanks Ticky.
Old 04 November 2007, 09:00 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...ml#post7293826

oops
Old 04 November 2007, 09:27 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
lol
Old 04 November 2007, 09:30 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Well if the package was supposed to be signed for when delivered Royl Mail must get a signature or surely you are entitled to compensation to the amout your letter covers.
Old 04 November 2007, 10:01 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Thats what i was thinking ref the signing of the postal order.... if no receipt of it being recieved,but the postal order has been cashed,then its the post office at fault for not delivering as it should have been?

Only posted earlier on another thread of someone having poblems ref buying stuff on here...... hope this is not atrend starting,bad news mate....
Old 05 November 2007, 08:18 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on whether it was posted registered/recorded and what value you declared, you should get the value of the PO back.

I had a signed for letter go missing and it was the postman who signed my name! I eventually go my money back after the sender put in a claim. The post office closed ranks around their employee though, the theiving scum.