Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the hell do I jack my WRX up?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2007, 02:47 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the hell do I jack my WRX up?

I need to jack the back of my 2007 WRX up with a trolly jack and put it on axle stands (new exhaust is waiting outside )

I have just searched the forums and all of the links seem to be out of date with pics, can anyone give me a simpletons guide?

I was going to put the trolly jack under the rear diff (silver box in the middle of the axle) but it seemed to be a bit bendy? The axle that goes to the wheel is only about 1" and looks like its too weedy fo an axle stand, can anyone guide me what to do?

I have 2 hours 30 minutes before my wife gets home and finds out I have bought an exhaust and I will be in big trouble if she finds out! I am hoping she wont notice it If i can fit it before then
Old 01 November 2007, 02:53 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

I jack mine on the diff
Old 01 November 2007, 02:56 PM
the_msp
Scooby Regular

likewise, diff
Old 01 November 2007, 02:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

3rd, diff.
Old 01 November 2007, 03:02 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm that the dif is the big silver box about 10cm x 10cm x 10cm ? The cars so low I cant really see anything under the car

What about the axle stands, i dont want to bend anything do I just whack them in one the little axle? My vans axle is about 4 times bigger thats why I am a little worried,

2 hours left until wife arrival.......
Old 01 November 2007, 03:05 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Take it to kwik fit or somewhere costs about £20 for a backbox swap. Not worth getting dirty for
Old 01 November 2007, 03:06 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Dont take this the wrong way but I'm having doubts that you will be able to manage this task. Mainly because your asking the most obvious questions!!!

Just leave the weight on the jack and place the stands under the car that way if it fails you will be fine. That way no bent or scratched underside.
Old 01 November 2007, 03:09 PM
mas58
Scooby Newbie

If you are having trouble locating the diff and not sure where to put the axle stands maybe you need to know that the exhaust is the long tube that starts near the front of the car and finishes at the rear bumper. Seriously though, don't use the drive shafts to support the weight of the car.
Old 01 November 2007, 03:10 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

I tent to agree woth Clio 172 on this one mate.

I always use a block of wood before i jack it up on the Diff just incase it cracks it. I put the Axcel Stands on the chassis...
Old 01 November 2007, 03:10 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
Dont take this the wrong way but I'm having doubts that you will be able to manage this task. Mainly because your asking the most obvious questions!!!
I have done it several times on other cars but my wrx is only 2 weeks old and its not quite as clear cut as most cars. type in the search box "axle stands" and or "jacking up" and you will see hundreds of people asking the same question but as there are so many and I have limited time I cant keep looking through all of them
Old 01 November 2007, 03:14 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

I never meant to offend. Sorry
Old 01 November 2007, 03:22 PM
FlyinbySTi
Scooby Regular

How To: complete idiot's guide to getting your car up on jackstands - Page 3 - IWSTI.com: Sponsored by www.Subie.tv

This was a thread on the STi board here in the US. It's what most of us do to Jack out cars.
Old 01 November 2007, 03:27 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I put the stands under the original jacking points then drop it back onto them.
Old 01 November 2007, 04:20 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Well it took me an hour but I managed to do it, the new exhaust is on and I am off for a quick trip round the block
Old 01 November 2007, 04:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Hows it sounding mate, I NEEEEEEEEED to know.

A sound or vid clip would be awesome
Old 01 November 2007, 05:35 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Hows it sounding mate, I NEEEEEEEEED to know.

A sound or vid clip would be awesome
sorry my phone has no camera on it but I will try and tell you what I think...

When I start the car it now makes a chug, chug, chugger, chug chug type noise that souns sweet to me

The car seems to burble as I am pulling away and reversing (as you probably know there is no noise whatsoever on 2007 wrx's) which sounds good, around 3000 - 4000 in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear it make a real nice burble/throbing noise.

It seemed to get slighlt louder after about 5 miiles

I am very happy with it, its not going to get on my neighbours nerves, it doesnt drone at 80mph on the motorway (cant really hear it much at 70 - 80 in 5th) and it makes a nice sound when I want it to.

I thought that it wasnt loud enough at first but after a quick 25 mile round the block i am smitten

Its definetly not for people who want a big noise f**k off type exhaust but its perfect for me

Only thing is it seems to smell a bit inside the car and outside the car as if its burning off some sort of residue, is this normal for new exhausts?
Old 01 November 2007, 05:53 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I have 2 hours 30 minutes before my wife gets home and finds out I have bought an exhaust and I will be in big trouble if she finds out! I am hoping she wont notice it If i can fit it before then
I know the feeling!

Which exhaust did you get then? Is the rest of the exhaust standard still? Sounds like what i'm after.
Old 01 November 2007, 06:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
sorry my phone has no camera on it but I will try and tell you what I think...

When I start the car it now makes a chug, chug, chugger, chug chug type noise that souns sweet to me

The car seems to burble as I am pulling away and reversing (as you probably know there is no noise whatsoever on 2007 wrx's) which sounds good, around 3000 - 4000 in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear it make a real nice burble/throbing noise.

It seemed to get slighlt louder after about 5 miiles

I am very happy with it, its not going to get on my neighbours nerves, it doesnt drone at 80mph on the motorway (cant really hear it much at 70 - 80 in 5th) and it makes a nice sound when I want it to.

I thought that it wasnt loud enough at first but after a quick 25 mile round the block i am smitten

Its definetly not for people who want a big noise f**k off type exhaust but its perfect for me

Only thing is it seems to smell a bit inside the car and outside the car as if its burning off some sort of residue, is this normal for new exhausts?
Nice one mate, sounds like my kinda thing
Might have to experiment there
Old 01 November 2007, 06:29 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
I know the feeling!

Which exhaust did you get then? Is the rest of the exhaust standard still? Sounds like what i'm after.
Just a backbox swap, its a scoobyworld racebox looks really well made but be prepared for the huge box when it turns up!

As above its definetly not a firestorm or afterburner but its perfect for me.

I have managed to squeeze the the standard backbox in to the scoobyworld cardboard box and taken it to work and hidden it behind a a load of pallet racking, the wife will never know
Old 01 November 2007, 06:39 PM
HUDDERS1
Scooby Regular

i have a 2007 wrx, i to wonted a better sound so i put on a afterburner vortex sound great mate. my wife went mad at 1st but she likes the burble now.
Old 01 November 2007, 07:05 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

I have the racebox on mine and it sounds

I have a deresonated centre pipe and a decat too which enhances the sound without being overly loud. The centre pipe is a must on the hawkeye.
Old 01 November 2007, 07:10 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
I have the racebox on mine and it sounds

I have a deresonated centre pipe and a decat too which enhances the sound without being overly loud. The centre pipe is a must on the hawkeye.

How much was the deresonated centre pipe and secat pipe and where was it from? I may do that in the future if I get bored but I am not sure yet....Might get it remapped instead
Old 01 November 2007, 07:18 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

I have a TSL deres section and group N backbox on my MY07 and it sounds lovely. Cost about £300 quid I think had it on there since the day I got it
Drove straight to TSL with 100 miles on the clock
The standard exhaust had anoyed me enough by then lol
Old 01 November 2007, 07:18 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The centre pipe was about £100 I think from scooby world. The decat was done for me by a mate as a favour so no idea what it is worth but I think about £200-£300. You can get MOT friendly sports cats for £300-£400. These are all new prices so sure you could pick used examples up alot cheaper if you wanted.

I think you need a remap after a decat to avoid overboost problems. Andy F advised me prior to my remap the one mod really worth doing is the downpipe, so don't get it mapped before you sort this one way or the other.

The centre pipe you just put on and enjoy. It doesn't do too much performance wise but the legendary burble is much more audible.

Last edited by Mikkel; 01 November 2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01 November 2007, 08:46 PM
newbiefreddy
Scooby Regular

RaceBox Performance Rear Silencer. Is this the one you fitted as below it only says 2006?

Available for Impreza Turbo 1993-2006 (all models inc WRX, STI and 5 door wagons)

mines an import so changing it may effect the warranty. Has any one actually had any issue with engine warranties after changing the exchaust? or other areas.

if so whats the best thing to do change it before service etc ??? or just live with it for 3 years.

i'm not looking for any performance increase as well happy with it but would like to hear a bit of burble and not be left out.

also can you confirm again that you get a good sound by only changing the back box as i thought you had to change the center section on the 2.5 for it to get any sort of burble

cheers
Old 01 November 2007, 08:52 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by newbiefreddy
RaceBox Performance Rear Silencer. Is this the one you fitted as below it only says 2006?

Available for Impreza Turbo 1993-2006 (all models inc WRX, STI and 5 door wagons)

mines an import so changing it may effect the warranty. Has any one actually had any issue with engine warranties after changing the exchaust? or other areas.

if so whats the best thing to do change it before service etc ??? or just live with it for 3 years.

i'm not looking for any performance increase as well happy with it but would like to hear a bit of burble and not be left out.

also can you confirm again that you get a good sound by only changing the back box as i thought you had to change the center section on the 2.5 for it to get any sort of burble

cheers
I queried scoobyworld on the 1993 - 2006 but rather than them say it was a mistake they instaed said it would fit because mine was the same as the 2006 model but the ways its written must lose them a few customers.

It depends on what you define as a "good sound" do you mean good like an airplance taking off or do you mean good like a nice chug chug chug noise?

As said above mine sounds great, and I think subaru are normally ok about just a backbox change as long as you dont change centre section and decat etc but they can be done it just depends on your dealer.
Old 01 November 2007, 08:57 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Warranties are a funny old thing and if they can prove that the fault is caused by a modification of any kind then the warranty is not valid. Or is it that you have to prove that your mod is not the cause... not sure which way around.

My car is going in to get the front resprayed under warranty as I'm not happy with the quality, due to laquer coming off already. No problems with the claim what so ever as my remap and exhaust modifications have no bearing on the paint work.

Personally, I wouldn't bother fitting the racebox to a hawkeye without changing the centre section as the difference wasn't much to speak of IMHO and I don't do loud exhausts.
Old 01 November 2007, 09:45 PM
newbiefreddy
Scooby Regular

i don't want it to sound like an airplane but just a little louder with burble. very hard to discuss the loudness with text but does it sound at all like their clip

http://download-v5.streamload.com/94...ed/Racebox.MPG
theirs is a sti 2ltr i think so that may sound alittle different but does yours sound like theirs or is theirs fully decated etc to produce the sound they get.

i'm only thinking 1-2 times louder than the current exhaust
Old 01 November 2007, 09:58 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

From memory, it is quieter than the clip with just the BB on a hawkeye. About the same as the clip with the centre pipe and a deeper tone with the decat.

The sound is slightly different as it is a different engine after all.
Old 01 November 2007, 09:59 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by newbiefreddy
i don't want it to sound like an airplane but just a little louder with burble. very hard to discuss the loudness with text but does it sound at all like their clip

http://download-v5.streamload.com/94...ed/Racebox.MPG
theirs is a sti 2ltr i think so that may sound alittle different but does yours sound like theirs or is theirs fully decated etc to produce the sound they get.

i'm only thinking 1-2 times louder than the current exhaust
Mine sounds very similar to that except i dont get the pops when they really rev it near the end of the video

Quick Reply: How the hell do I jack my WRX up?