ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

99-00 Simtek

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2007, 02:37 PM
burns
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-00 Simtek

Last year due to circumstances beyond my control I had to have my engine and gearbox rebuilt.
After looking on here I chose API Because of their excellent reputation and locale.
So my engine and gearbox got uprated and rebuilt.I then decided to upgrade my Turbo and fueling system so back again to API and they fitted a MD321T, Fuelab regulator and variable rate injectors and larger induction pipe to suit.
Now my car originally came with an Autronic (MAFless)ECU which was a lovely piece of kit but could not be mapped to start properly(Important to me because it's my everyday car and I'm off to work before 6AM 6 days a week)
So I went back to the MAF system and had a Apexi power fc,Now on my old setup this was brilliant,my car was easily making 380 bhp plus with perfect manners and startup.
But when I upgraded to a larger turbo and induction pipe I started to get surge and compressor stall problems (quite common on large diameter setups).
So APi tried various suggested fixes (moving MAF etc) but all to no avail and it strted to eat MAF's (very worrying).
Now David at API rings me and tells me that he's been in touch with Simtek and they are about to offer their MAFless ecu for the 99-00 impreza.
So I said get it done,let's try it.
I collected my car on Saturday and what can I say.
It starts within half a turn (as with the MAF based ecu's)and when gentle driving is as nicely mannered as the OE ecu ,but put your foot to the floor and my god does it go.
Gone is the horrible part throttle backsurge over the Maf which banged like you'd broke a con rod,gone is the momentry compressor stall on fullboost.
I think that finally we've found a happy medium for my car, a complete jeckyl and hyde setup,great when trundling around and a monster when you want it.
I've got to see what my petrol consumption is like ( good by the look of it).
But if you want to try a MAFless ECU with good manners that's tuneable go for this Simtek you won't be dissapointed.
Cheers API .