Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right who sells genuine subaru coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2007, 12:03 PM
bbventovr6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right who sells genuine subaru coolant?

You would think it would be simple but after visiting 2 local dealers and telephoning 6 others none of the Subaru dealers seem to sell it. If I had a VW, Ford etc all of the dealers would stock it.

Has anyone been successful in buying the genuine stuff? If so please tell me where from.

Cheers
Old 25 October 2007, 12:13 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Is this a joke??? you want to buy Genuine Subaru Water and antifreeze
Old 25 October 2007, 12:20 PM
bbventovr6
Scooby Regular

Err no, I want to buy genuine subaru coolant/anti freeze as the manual isn't clear on the recommended spec. Alternatively I will just buy a regular 'off the shelf' coolant from the local motor factors but it does seem strange to me that the Subaru dealers don't use the genuine stuff.

Last edited by bbventovr6; 25 October 2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: error
Old 25 October 2007, 12:27 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I didn't know they did branded subaru coolant, and now I know I still won't be buying it. Bound to be about 4 times as much as the usual stuff.
Old 25 October 2007, 12:33 PM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

Hi I need £500 for a new exhaust will you buy me one!

Don't be a silly billy just make sure you put the right amout of coolent in! ANYMAKE the cheepstuff will do................

if you really want to empty old stuff out then fill up with just water run for 50miles then put the new stuff in!

(DONT LEAVE WATER IN OVER NIGHT MAY FREZZE AND FORK YOUR ENGINE)
Old 25 October 2007, 12:45 PM
bbventovr6
Scooby Regular

Take a look here Cooling System FAQ: Read if you want coolant information! - Service & Maintenance - NASIOC

They obviously do sell genuine Subaru coolant, whether the UK dealers do or not is a different matter of course.

In the past I have found VW and ford's genuine fluids to be quite reasonably priced and at least then you know it's the proper stuff.
Old 25 October 2007, 01:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genuine Subaru Coolant is simply a commercial Anti-Freeze with a Subaru label on.

I am one for only using Subaru labelled stuff .... but in the case of anti-freeze I just buy whatever is in the PoundShop at the time

There is some mention in places of Subaru Cooling System Conditioner.

Last edited by pslewis; 25 October 2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 25 October 2007, 01:16 PM
bbventovr6
Scooby Regular

Yeah quite true. It doesn't have to have the Subaru label just as long as I know it is correct stuff.
Old 25 October 2007, 01:17 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

i use vauxhall stuff, 5 year rated 5L works out about £6 iirc
Old 25 October 2007, 02:11 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by pslewis

There is some mention in places of Subaru Cooling System Conditioner.
Try Radweld

Sounds like a joke, but isn't
Old 25 October 2007, 05:44 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

I thought there were different types of coolant i.e. red, green and blue. My WRX needed green. As long as you get the colour right it doesn't matter.
Old 25 October 2007, 07:20 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

There are several different types of antifreeze on the market (ethylene glycol, poly-ethylene glycol, Organo-acid technology, hybrid organo-acid technology etc). They are not compatible and you have to have the correct antifreeze for the car. Some types are not compatible with certain plastices and rubbers used on the engine. The colour is due to the dye used in the antifreeze - it does not tell you anything about the chemical composition of the antifreeze, so two green coloured antifreezes could have completely different chemicals in them.
Old 25 October 2007, 07:27 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Microstar
There are several different types of antifreeze on the market (ethylene glycol, poly-ethylene glycol, Organo-acid technology, hybrid organo-acid technology etc). They are not compatible and you have to have the correct antifreeze for the car. Some types are not compatible with certain plastices and rubbers used on the engine. The colour is due to the dye used in the antifreeze - it does not tell you anything about the chemical composition of the antifreeze, so two green coloured antifreezes could have completely different chemicals in them.
I dont think this is correct - I thought that the colour signifies the type of coolant. What is the point of having different colours? I remember my VW used red G12 I think which was not suitable for the scooby.
Old 25 October 2007, 07:43 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

Most OAT coolant sold in Europe is red coloured (e.g. the G12 you mention). But some is clear (e.g. sold under the Febi brand name) and some is yellow (Havolene). Some red coolant is not OAT but is just standard EG (e.g. Toyota). Comma PEG antifreeze is green, many other green antifreezes are EG though. It is entirely up to the manufacturer what colour dye they throw in, there is no standard.

The key thing about most most Japanese-brand antifreezes is that they use phosphate as the passivator (to reduce corrosion) whereas most European antifreezes use silicates. Japanese engines are designed to use Japanese antifreeze. For the tiny saving involved it is not worth risking a non-recommended antifreeze.
Old 25 October 2007, 07:46 PM
bbventovr6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Microstar

Exactly! So by just replacing with the same colour would mean absolutely nothing with regards to using the correct coolant. Cheers Microstar
Old 25 October 2007, 07:47 PM
bbventovr6
Scooby Regular

Most OAT coolant sold in Europe is red coloured (e.g. the G12 you mention). But some is clear (e.g. sold under the Febi brand name) and some is yellow (Havolene). Some red coolant is not OAT but is just standard EG (e.g. Toyota). Comma PEG antifreeze is green, many other green antifreezes are EG though. It is entirely up to the manufacturer what colour dye they throw in, there is no standard.

The key thing about most most Japanese-brand antifreezes is that they use phosphate as the passivator (to reduce corrosion) whereas most European antifreezes use silicates. Japanese engines are designed to use Japanese antifreeze. For the tiny saving involved it is not worth risking a non-recommended antifreeze

Oh, it gets better