Sponsored by:

3yrs and 24k - which service?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 10:26 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

thinking next service was about due, so dug out the service book to see what's what.

I last got the car serviced in July 01, stamped up in the 22,500 miles or 18 month box. At this point the car was at 19,778 miles at 30 months roughly.

So now what service do I get? I'd always thought it was which ever came first, so by my thinking I should now be at 36 months which is the 45,000 mile biggie - ouch.

Should point out that the last service was the first under my ownership, and was done when the salesman pointed out it should be when I bought it. The previous owner seems to have gome by the mileage alone.

I was wondering about extending the Subaru warranty, but I wonder if this would invalidate it anyway.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 07 January 2002, 10:49 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Don't know about the warranty, but I'd bite the bullet and do the 45K service - it's either 3 years or 45,000 miles - whichever comes first. T&C in Aberdeen are about £450 IIRC.

My wagon is needing it's 52.5K service just now.....
Old 08 January 2002, 08:30 AM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Thanks Miles,

I'll probably give T&C a phone some point and get the "official" viewpoint. Just feel a bit cheated if you know what I mean.

Don't think I'll be able to afford the warranty now, so that's probably academic.

Mike.
Old 08 January 2002, 09:01 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Either of you guys know what T&C charge for the 30k service roughly?

My Euro MY00 is in the For Sale section and as an ex-Aberdoninan, T&C are the closest to where it is being stored at the moment.

PS. It is amazing that they have three similar MY00's up at around £15,495 and I have not yet had one serious enquiry for mine via Scoobynet and I have pitched it at £12,500!

Time for an advert in the P&J methinks.

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 08 January 2002, 12:57 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Stephen, have you tried giving Bob McDonald at T&C a shout to see they'd buy your car?
Old 08 January 2002, 12:59 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention, IIRC a 30K service was £300ish. Pretty expensive as they change the plugs and all fluids every 30K miles.

90K is real fun = cambelt + plugs = £700
Old 08 January 2002, 09:34 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Red face

I think you need to take a trip South of the border guys. Just had 45k service on mine last month and it was £306 (I supplied oil+brake fluid so say £330 to you).

DaveW
Old 09 January 2002, 01:26 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Just come back from garage, after speaking to their service dept.

Not looking good..... due to the last owner's mileage based servicing, they suspect the 30k service (fluids etc) may not have been done. This could mean I need the 30 & 45k services effectively - f**k knows what that'd cost.

The salesman I spoke to did say that the car should have FSH when I bought it for them to honour the warranty, and I bought the car on the basis that it was FSH. Does this mean that if it still needs the 30k I could have some hope of them being liable for the cost? Long shot I know.

Mike - (not a happy bunny - considering male prostitution but harbour area very cold this time of year!)
Old 09 January 2002, 01:47 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

MikesWagon,

Ouch! Hope they sort out some kind of deal for you!

Miles,

I haven't called T&C (yet) as I was under the impression that franchised dealers would not be interested in taking a Euro import into stock.

Does anyone know if this is or isn't the case?

I may end up offering it to an independent trader but I'll probably give the P&J a punt first.

Old 09 January 2002, 01:53 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Angry

Mike,

Sorry to hear that mate, I would feel pretty p!ssed off if I was sold a car which supposedly had FSH and it had only been serviced my mileage and not time. Basically the services should be as follows :

7500 Mile/6 months = oil/filter change
15000 Mile/12 months = oil/filter change + body service
22500 Mile/18 months = oil/filter change
30000 Mile/24 months = Spark plugs/oil/oil filter/air filter/gearbox oil/brake fluid/coolant.
37500 Mile/30 Months = oil/filter change
45000 Mile Oil/filter/cambelts.

I think you are looking at about £400 extra if it needs to have the 30,000 mile service done as well.

If the body service was not done within 1 month of it being 1 year old then the body warranty is invalid. As the car has not been serviced in accordance with the manufacturers instructions the warranty is also invalid (not much of a worry as it is 3 years old now)

Trouble is anybody who knows there stuff will pick up on this incomplete service history as soon as they see the service records. Because of this you could also argue that the car is now worth less than a properly serviced car.

Basically I would go mental at the garage who sold it to me as everything is on computer so they should know the exact history of the car.
Old 09 January 2002, 03:02 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

If you need the 30k and 45k together that is in effect the 90k if you go by the schedules and is likely to be 700-900 quid

Hope you sort something out....
Old 10 January 2002, 01:29 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Quite frankly If it was my car I would start servicing on the mileage instead of by date. This would of course invalidate the warranty. However you could keep the warranty going for longer if you put it in for a minor service instead and have that stamped in the back of the book as some dealers allow and offer this. If you get the 30000 and 45000 mile services done then what do you do when you reach 30000 miles? You have to pay again and you will soon lose track of what service should be done. You will spend a lot of money for nothing in my opinion. The only exception is the timing belt which I recommend you have changed at the 3 year interval no matter what.

My own car was in for the 30000mile service 6 months ago with 28000 miles on the clock. It is now due the 30 month service 37500 miles but has only covered 29500 miles now. At the most I will put it in for a lub oil and filter change just to try and keep the warranty.

When engines are serviced in my industry (Marine & Offshore) we use hours based service intervals. If the machine isnt used very much then we still change the oil once a year and do everything else on running hours. This is allowable by major classification societies providing a clear service record can be established.

I have never had a problem with an engine using the above and I have worked in charge of plant maintenance for 15 years.

Just my view

Beastie
Old 10 January 2002, 01:52 PM
SG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Beastie
I will end up in the same situation as yourself. I am due an 18 month service at the end of Jan but the car has only done 17000 miles.

Shaun
Old 10 January 2002, 02:00 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'll join your club too.

3 Years old end of March 2002.
Just turned 21100 miles.
At the 24th month service ... no big changes ?!?

Big service or not to big service, that is the question?

J

Old 10 January 2002, 02:10 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Question

Sorry if this is long winded - helps to get if off my chest.

Just come off the phone to their service manager.

Queried with him the fact the the prev. owner seemed to service based on mileage, and he said that Subaru were ok with that if they were doing low mileages (7.5-8k a year in this case). I pointed out that I had serviced at 6months from last service on instruction of salesman...

I thought FSH meant it had been serviced to manufacturers guidelines. Not true, just means that each service is in the book, and if any ommisions then the garage should point it out. Bet everyone else already knew that?

Based on his earlier comment, asked about which service/when etc and he said I could wait until I hit 30k which will be about another 5-6 months, or I could get it done now and cam belt. He did say that if I don't extend the warranty, and the cam belt fails I'm f****d, but if I do the cam belt and it fails few months after warranty expires IM would more than likely fix as a good will job.

So I'm currently weighing up £420 for 30k, £615 for 30k + cam belt or leave for a while.

Mike.
Old 10 January 2002, 02:24 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Smile

Almost smiled there!

Thought entered my head, if I'd had the 30k & 45k services done separately would have cost me in the region of £870. So doing it this way I'm not spending £615, I'm saving £255.

Mike.

Old 10 January 2002, 06:17 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Thats Good News Mike

I think that even if you are due a Major service on time but havent covered the miles, then if you put the car in for an oil and filter change you are still honouring the original intent of the manufacturer that the vehicle be serviced every 6 months.

In other words, even though you have technically breached the servicing booklet you will be viewed favourably as also technically you havent because you did not reach the miles stated but still had the car serviced every six months. Follow me?

Of course this is a bit of conjecture, but Anderson cars when they were still in business, were offering a minor service for just this reason to allow owners of low mileage cars to keep their warranty.

As I have said already, if you service to time AND mileage, then you will end up paying for the same service more than once due to the overlap. The situation will quickly become confusing as to which service you should be doing and then you can easily omit something important that you think was done already.

Of course warranty wise if you follow the letter of the law there is never going to be any dispute, but I believe you can benefit from doing lower miles by servicing to mileage, replacing fluids and cambelt every three years and carrying out mileage based services as they become due.

The best way to go about it is to get a letter from your dealer saying what is acceptable to retain the warranty. I personally would like to extend my warranty further in 6 months if I think it will be honoured. I will speak to my dealer also and see what their opinion is.

It would be good if others can do the same to see if there is any pattern to the replies.

Beastie
Old 10 January 2002, 09:59 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Smile

Beastie, thanks for the feedback, and some common sense.

Didn't get anything in writing, but the service manager said I was ok from an official warranty point of view. Don't think I will extend the warranty, since we're getting married in the summer and every penny counts.

Haven't worked it out properly yet, but I reckon if I do the 30k + cam belt now, won't have any big services for quite some time, another 2 years unless I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Mike.