Sponsored by:

2008 Impreza WRX

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2007, 07:54 AM
fatboymal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Impreza WRX

Apologies if this is old news here, or a repost, but yesterdays Autocar states that Subaru UK have now stated that there will be a new WRX model, released in November.

After stating for so long that there would not be a WRX model, and pissing off so many of it's current customers, they now turn around and said that there will be!

I've bought 4 new WRXs from main dealers since 2001, I have already sold the last one and resigned myself to finding a different make and model. They would have had an easy sale to me.

Talk about ****ing up a car launch...
Old 30 August 2007, 08:06 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yeah its old news

Still, the best way to screw up a car launch, is to make something that looks really ugly....errrr hold on, they did that too
Old 30 August 2007, 08:09 AM
fatboymal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Yeah its old news
When and how did eveyone hear about it? My dealer knew nothing when I last asked (but that's not unusual..).
Old 30 August 2007, 08:33 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Got to admit, I didnt know lol
I know its coming in STi guise but not WRX.

Still just the hatch I presume.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:53 AM
fatboymal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Got to admit, I didnt know lol
I know its coming in STi guise but not WRX.

Still just the hatch I presume.

Yeah, still just the hatch, but with the 2.5 Turbo that they categorically told me was not going to be available when I went to make an order for my 5th WRX, but they've now... er.... changed their mind

You gotta love em.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:54 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatboymal
Yeah, still just the hatch, but with the 2.5 Turbo that they categorically told me was not going to be available when I went to make an order for my 5th WRX, but they've now... er.... changed their mind

You gotta love em.
lol indeed, but as long as things are moving in the right direction
Old 30 August 2007, 09:37 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It was posted on here a few weeks ago, Pistonheads also ran an article on it. I guess it will have been in other places too, but they are the two sources that I saw talking about it.

There is a rumour that the STI (when it comes) will not be a watered down JDM version. Let us hope that rumour is true, as I would love to see what they come up with.

I was reading the other day that 2.5 engines can spool a turbo faster than a 2.0. Let us pray a 2.5 with twinscroll comes here, making for an awesome road car. They will have to be some special editions which are 2.0 for rallying purposes of course.

Trending Topics

Old 30 August 2007, 09:45 AM
fatboymal
Scooby Regular

Thanks, found the PistonHeads article from July.

PistonHeads Headlines

Old 15 September 2007, 10:20 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I reckon IM Group crapped themselves when they got all the negative feedback, I understand the WRX counts for 60-70% of all UK imprezas sold - and they planned to drop it

Now listed on UK website

The Subaru Range - NEW Impreza - Impreza 2.5 WRX | Subaru (UK) Ltd.

"Available in very limited numbers from November 2007"

Old 15 September 2007, 11:09 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

That looks so rubbish it is beyond comprehension, what are they doing!

Who is honestly going to pay £20k for that.
Old 16 September 2007, 12:11 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Luminous
It was posted on here a few weeks ago, Pistonheads also ran an article on it. I guess it will have been in other places too, but they are the two sources that I saw talking about it.

There is a rumour that the STI (when it comes) will not be a watered down JDM version. Let us hope that rumour is true, as I would love to see what they come up with.

I was reading the other day that 2.5 engines can spool a turbo faster than a 2.0. Let us pray a 2.5 with twinscroll comes here, making for an awesome road car. They will have to be some special editions which are 2.0 for rallying purposes of course.
The Jap "WRX" is called a S-GT not sure if the UK equivelent will be called a WRX or a S-GT!!

Yes it does have the twin scroll turbo, well did on the one I test drove, started to spool up around 2 Krpm, this was before it has be tweaked

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ong-story.html

TBH the S-GT is far more tweakable than the outgoing 07 WRX but in standard form quite more Sedate. IMHO

The tyres were 50 series reminded me of driving cars with Crossply tyres on

Cabin is far more rommier than the old WRX

The driving position is also much lower

Tony
Old 16 September 2007, 02:48 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Spot the difference

Deawoo / Chevrolet Lacetti

Last edited by Jaybird-UK; 16 September 2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 16 September 2007, 07:21 PM
scooty
Scooby Regular

Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe it was Fuji through Subaru Europe that would not let IM have the WRX because they wanted to increase sales in the Focus sector ie 1.5 and 2.0 litre.

And maybe IM put pressure on Fuji and made them change their mind. And therefore we should be thanking IM?

S
Old 16 September 2007, 08:36 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by scooty
Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe it was Fuji through Subaru Europe that would not let IM have the WRX because they wanted to increase sales in the Focus sector ie 1.5 and 2.0 litre.

And maybe IM put pressure on Fuji and made them change their mind. And therefore we should be thanking IM?

S
maybe more like they thought, the bog standard "08WRX" wasn't sporty enough for our UK tastes and reckoning the bog standard 08STi would be more suited to "UK WRX" owners and a Tweaked STi for "UK STi" owners.

Which after reading reviews and drivng a bog Standard "WRX" i can sort of agree with but saying that the "WRX" is very tweakable more so than the out going WRX

IMHO

Tony
Old 16 September 2007, 08:59 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

The WRX was original not going to be available because of EU emission laws, Subaru had been charged to lower their average CO2 per car.

I emailed IM Group in June to voice my dissapointment and got the following reply from them in which he said the WRX was not available to UK or Europe :

Thank you for your emails regarding the new Impreza.

Firstly, please rest assured that Subaru is not abandoning its enthusiastic owners. The new STI, which is due early next year, will have much more aggressive styling than the US version of the WRX and will be a real performance car just like the current one.

The new WRX which is sold in the US, is not available to us either in the UK or in Europe. However, we are looking at the possibility of a Boxer Turbo-Diesel version for early 2009.

We do, indeed, intend to widen the appeal of the new Impreza and believe this is best achieved by offering a traditional Golf/Focus-sized, five-door only.

We appreciate that the popularity of the current Impreza turbo saloon is partly due to its close resemblance to the WRC rally car, but once the new WRC Impreza is released we are sure that it will prove to be a stylish and appealing model.

I thank you for your enthusiasm towards Subaru, and hope that you will find the new Impreza to your liking when released in the UK.

Regards
Old 18 September 2007, 01:57 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
The WRX was original not going to be available because of EU emission laws, Subaru had been charged to lower their average CO2 per car.
:
They have had a change of heart and will bring a "limited" amount into the country, there of course will be Imports,the S-GT

Personally think "They" are making and should have stuck to there guns, (not having a go at WRX owners)and a mistake IMHO my reasons are below

Originally Posted by T5NYW
the bog standard "08WRX" isn't sporty enough for our UK tastes and reckon the bog standard or slightly tweaked 08STi would be more suited to "UK WRX" owners and a fully Tweaked 08STi for "UK STi" owners.
Originally Posted by T5NYW
Which after reading reviews and drivng a bog Standard "WRX" i can understand but saying that the "WRX" is very tweakable far more so than the out going WRX
IMHO

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 18 September 2007 at 02:00 PM.