Been invited to a Prodrive Subaru event in Warwick

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2007, 04:13 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been invited to a Prodrive Subaru event in Warwick

Hi,

As the title says, I have been invited with a few other people from my work place to attend a Prodrive Subaru event in Warwick (their testing ground) to do the following:

Circuit Driving
High Speed Passenger Rides
Adverse Handling (technical course)
Wet Grip (skid pan)
All-Terrain Driving (in a Forester, should be interesting)

Has anyone attended one of these events, any idea what I should expect? We are competing as teams and induviduals so should be a good blast, personally I can't wait to thrash a scooby round the circut :P

I'll be sure to take photo's and hopefully a movie of the event and post em online!
Old 25 August 2007, 06:31 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

They ran a smilar thing for my mate whilst he was working for PD, great fun he said, I've driven round fen end a lot, not the best tracks in the world as the hgh speed loop is pretty rough, and the handling circuit very tight. No reason why it shouldn't be a hoot though!

Simon
Old 25 August 2007, 06:51 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

The handling circuit is great: really shows you what scoob can do. Have driven both my spec C and an M5 round it and the spec C was much faster.
Old 25 August 2007, 03:26 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Sweet, I am interested in the handling circuit, wanna see what a scoob can do when pushed at the limit (not something you can do on everyday roads)
Old 25 August 2007, 03:33 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Its a great experiance

The adverse handling is akin to a tarmac rally stage and you hardly have more than a second going straight. Lots to learn

High Speed Circuit is enjoyable

Off road is fun if you have never driven off road before

The wet run is my fav "give it some" then try and hold on to it

To finish the day a high speed lap with a Prodrive Proffesional GRIN FACTORS 10 out of 10
Old 25 August 2007, 06:40 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

When on one last year and it was good and would do it again.
Old 25 August 2007, 11:56 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

I've been to Warwick 5 times and it's awesome, you won't be disappionted as said Adverse handling is Brill the 4X4 was real fun but got the Skid pan will make inroads into you car handling skills

Try and get Mike Wood to take you around the Adverse handling Track

Trending Topics

Old 30 August 2007, 05:46 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Just got back from the event... what can I say, amazing!

I honestly believe I am a better driver for it now, the whole day was fantastic and the professional drivers were a great laugh, really down to earth people, the whole event was welcoming.

We were split into small teams of 3 and went off to do various events, my team started off with the Adverse Handling event - I swear I could have done just this all day long!

We sat as passangers with the pro driver who took us through the course a couple of times telling us what to do where and then finally pulled up to let one of us drive - I was the unfortunate first driver so didn't have the luxury of seeing how someone else did the course however I have to say hats off to the pro. He was a circuit racing driver so obviously had a different way of driving through the course (we had a mix of pro driver types today).

I took it very easy in the first lap however his instructions were clear and concise and I felt confident, just relaxed and said to myself "listen to what he is saying" and that was it, by the end of it I was faster than my previous laps. It's a very unforgiving course, just constant apex's and tapering bends so you really have to listen to what the pro drivers are telling you - I believe this course alone will bring your driving standards to a higher level.

Then we went off and had a go on the aritifical skid surfaces, really good fun. We drove Legacy and Foresters for this part of the course, the main emphasis on being skid control rather than speed and power. I feel I did really well here due to having experience of rear wheel drive cars in the wet (on private roads of course), almost managed to clear the straight skid patch however I over cooked it at the end, did a 360 skid and carried on driving out :P

The circular skid pan was difficult, especially in a 4 wheel drive car and probably the hardest to master as you have to learn how to cause a wheel drift without sudden understeer.

Then onto the 4x4 event, very different to the high speed stuff but very educational and gives you an idea of how difficult off-road driving is if you don't know how to correctly navigate the terrain.

And finally the crowning drive. We were picked up by a driver in an Hawkeye STi Prodrive, then hurtled round the outside circuit at phenominal speeds while the pro driver is chatting away telling us what to do and where. Again I was the unlucky victim who went first however I think I did really well on this part of the course. All the training we got from the Adverse Handling paid off and I was trying to find the best line into the sharp corners and apexes. Really good laugh when the pro driver turns round on the 2nd lap and goes "right I really want you to floor the car now" - that was the ticket, I went ***** out as much as I could but it was obvious I had reached the limit of my driving before the car had reached its.

Truely superb, makes you appreciate just how much of a car the scooby is straight off a forecourt and what its capable of - especially considering the car had more to give if the driver had the confidence to push it (I was doing a 4 wheel drift coming out of a fast right hander).

Overall a 10 out of 10 - I highly recommend it. Not only do you gain a new appreciation for you Subaru but you also develop your confidence and learn how to safely push the car to its limit.

*Photo's and movies being uploaded soon*

Adios,

Fz

Last edited by finalzero; 30 August 2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 30 August 2007, 07:51 PM
The_Major
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like a 'kin awesome day. I used to live in Warwick and found it rather a dreary place, shame I never found the Subaru test circuit

How about sharing the details with us ? I'd love to go. Just booked a track day for my motorbike at Brands Hatch so to have a go at driving the car fast aswell will complete my automotive ambitions. (That's how I justify it to the wife anyway).

Let us know ?
Old 30 August 2007, 09:46 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Aye will do, I am just sorting out my web server so should have full pics etc up soon.

Details:

Tel: 01295 273 355

Prodrive - Warwick
Kenilworth
Warwickshire
CV8 1NR

Prodrive track is in Fen End off Oldwich Lane East

They do open days for the public so just give them a call, I don't know what the prices are as it was a all expenses coporate event but I pretty sure it will not be much more than other track days.

Well worth the money imo and I am going back early next year just so I can get more high speed drive time and circuit training.
Old 30 August 2007, 10:04 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

That sounds great!
How much did it cost and how/where can I book a date?

EDIT: I should refresh the page before posting!
Old 30 August 2007, 11:12 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

fpan,

tel. 01676 536191

email: subarudrivedays@prodrive.com.

I believe Sharon Underwood is the lady who arranges them....
Old 31 August 2007, 11:08 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
Aye will do, I am just sorting out my web server so should have full pics etc up soon.

Details:

Tel: 01295 273 355

Prodrive - Warwick
Kenilworth
Warwickshire
CV8 1NR

Prodrive track is in Fen End off Oldwich Lane East

They do open days for the public so just give them a call, I don't know what the prices are as it was a all expenses coporate event but I pretty sure it will not be much more than other track days.

Well worth the money imo and I am going back early next year just so I can get more high speed drive time and circuit training.
I did one booked up with "JAG" of P1 site The training day about £350 and split the time with RADS instructor 50/50 with another driver (sammyh)

uttertly brill

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 31 August 2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 31 August 2007, 11:13 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

DriverDP.Com - Advanced driver training and car control course.

Courses are run at Prodrive, Warwick. Please call driver development programme organiser,
Carolyn Barker on
01787 278833 for further information.

"This day course is all about learning to achieve and be safe with the limits of your car, be it on road or track. It is run at Prodrive's test facility near Warwick in Central England, a facility that is not usually open to the general public. The course is a great way to prepare yourself for greater enjoyment of road driving or smoother, faster laps at your next track day! The relaxed but very safe advanced driver training environment is unique, there really is nothing else available like it in the UK! Book early to be sure of a place.

Price for the day is £295. Continental breakfast and lunch are included and coffee and tea are available all day. Non-driving guests are welcome at a cost of £20 per person."

Available dates

Monday 3 September

Thursday 27 September

Monday 8 October

Tuesday 30 October

Monday 12 November

Monday 26 November

Monday 3 December
Old 31 August 2007, 03:24 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

thanks for the updated info guys! Got my hosting sorted so will be posting some pic's and vid's this evening so you can get an idea of what the coaching is like and the overall day.
Old 01 September 2007, 12:07 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Various images in random format... ignore the date, my camera's date function was buggered so couldn't change it :s

Old 03 September 2007, 11:39 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Looks like you had a Cracking day

The guy there on far right I took him out in my car there he said i was caertainly enthusiastic which means in RADS drivers terms all bals a no brains, so probably right

Tony