Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2007, 09:46 AM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre fitted incorrectly by dealer

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice.
Yesterday I noticed that the front O/S tyre (Potenza RE050) on my MY05 WRX has been fitted the wrong way round (rotation pointing backwards!) when it was replaced at the end of November last year by Oaken Subaru near Wolverhampton.

Obviously this needs sorting, but before I approach the dealer I'd like to get my facts straight:

1. Is there any potential safety issue with fitting the tyre the wrong way round (I know it won't dispel water as easily etc - but anything else?)

2. Can the tyre be 'turned round' by the dealer, or does it need replacing?

These tyres cost me £130 each (inc fitting, VAT etc) - so I think I paid more than enough to expect a quality job!

Also, looks like my brake pads are completely worn out, yet it's only 3k miles since my last service - shouldn't the dealer have checked the pads and informed me that they needed replacing? I'm now concerned that the disks are going to be shot too!!...

Any advice gratefully received!!!

Rich
Old 20 August 2007, 09:52 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had exactly the same thing a few years ago when i purchased a brand new CTR 1 of the tyres was also on the wrong way round. Took it back to the dealer and in 10 minutes they'd taken it into the workshop and turned it around for me.

Oh and they gave me a bottle of Champers for the trouble
Old 20 August 2007, 12:14 PM
StuS
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem when I first bought my STi, but the dealer had just swapped the front wheels around...

I'd take it back to the dealer if I was you, point out their mistake, and get them to sort it out
Old 20 August 2007, 01:57 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

You can try, but as it was last November, you may struggle. The dealer could quite rightly say, you've had it off since for any number of reasons so where's the proof we did it.

Just playing devil's advocate, but thats what I would expect them to say 9 months after the event.

Cheers

Matt
Old 20 August 2007, 05:25 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Rang the dealer today and, as usual, they were great.
They're going to sort it for me on Friday. They were full of appologies.

I've bought my last two Impreza's from them and have all of my servicing, tyres etc from them so they know me pretty well.

I was just wondering if there was any risks with running the tyres the wrong way round?!
Old 20 August 2007, 06:03 PM
monotokpoint
Scooby Regular

drive backwards
Old 20 August 2007, 07:37 PM
Mo.k
Scooby Regular

only risk is at high speed in wet trying to brake very hard, i would speak to the service manager about the tyre fitment and the brake pads as this is very poor workmanship. It is in the interest of the dealer to inform you of what your car requires so they can get the sale on parts and labour. It is also there duty to inform you if anything like brake pads will be required before your next service, this gives the customer the choice of having all the work done at the same time (so no need to come in between services) or if you want to get your money's worth out the pads and come in just for a brake pad change. On your service checklist they gave you on your last service what is the % of pad wear they have written or have they not put anything at all?
I would also question the rest of the service performed due to the **** ups you have spotted.
Good luck
Old 20 August 2007, 07:38 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Your right it wont dispel water correctly or even perform correctly. Its like wearing underwear backwards... it fits but its not right