Sponsored by:

webbys spec c

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2007, 04:18 PM
black newage
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default webbys spec c

just read part 2 of mods, just wondering about the performance figures you have quoted from your car compared to a top tuners car of 3 years ago? surely a compliment to them? as things have moved on considerably from then (totbv1)? a stripped out spec c vs a uk sti with approx 100kilos of ice in the boot, also looking at the figures when their turbo comes on song shows how quick this heavyweight really is, not a dig, just full facts please before making claims about your car so as not to mislead people . yes ive had it drummed into me that jdm is better but not by a lot in this case surely?
Old 18 August 2007, 04:50 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Can someone interpret for me please ?
Old 18 August 2007, 04:56 PM
black newage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Can someone interpret for me please ?
look under "articles" engine stage 2
Old 18 August 2007, 05:01 PM
black newage
Scooby Regular

try page 21
Old 18 August 2007, 06:22 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Old 18 August 2007, 07:01 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

jdm is better out of the box but once you knock on the door of 500bhp it doesn't matter which car you have! except the handling is better on the jdm cars
Old 18 August 2007, 07:41 PM
black newage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
jdm is better out of the box but once you knock on the door of 500bhp it doesn't matter which car you have! except the handling is better on the jdm cars
thanks for that handling wise, because its jdm or lighter or both?

Trending Topics

Old 18 August 2007, 11:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by black newage
thanks for that handling wise, because its jdm or lighter or both?

if your gonna mod a car high the spec C is as good as they get as they are already lighter and have better supension i specifically went for jdm even though i knew i was going over 500bhp you may as well have the better base car after that its all down to turbo choice, ecu and mapper etc etc !!!
Old 19 August 2007, 09:36 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black Newage
Now, you have to understand that the tuners of 3 years ago probably charged 10-15k for something similar, and the JDM twin scroll engines are fairly new compared to the single scroll turbo'd engines you have seen in pretty much every impreza before 2003 so the developement of these is pretty new, though up to a certain point the power to money ratio is better
As for the differences, just as a reference, you would need 50-60bhp MORE in a standard UK car over a JDM Spec C just to keep up with it so a tuned JDM with 360bhp would need a 420bhp UK STi, and thats pushing UK STi engine rebuild territory, or if you have a 400bhp (still running on the stronger internals of the JDM car ) it would need slightly more (around 470bhp now) in a UK car to stay there, so as you see, money not being an option, the 400bhp JDM spec c (which will still pull from 1300 rpm! over say 2.5-3k rpm of a UK car) making it more drivable and developing more torque out of the box

Tony
Old 19 August 2007, 02:41 PM
black newage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Black Newage
Now, you have to understand that the tuners of 3 years ago probably charged 10-15k for something similar, and the JDM twin scroll engines are fairly new compared to the single scroll turbo'd engines you have seen in pretty much every impreza before 2003 so the developement of these is pretty new, though up to a certain point the power to money ratio is better
As for the differences, just as a reference, you would need 50-60bhp MORE in a standard UK car over a JDM Spec C just to keep up with it so a tuned JDM with 360bhp would need a 420bhp UK STi, and thats pushing UK STi engine rebuild territory, or if you have a 400bhp (still running on the stronger internals of the JDM car ) it would need slightly more (around 470bhp now) in a UK car to stay there, so as you see, money not being an option, the 400bhp JDM spec c (which will still pull from 1300 rpm! over say 2.5-3k rpm of a UK car) making it more drivable and developing more torque out of the box

Tony
good info there what is the weight of jdm? where is weight saved and what internals are stronger compared to a uk? cheers
Old 19 August 2007, 03:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Spec C saves weight in the glass, some body panels, sound proofing, different subframe, cars weight is approx 120kg lighter than the standard STI, so about 1350-1370kg.
Pistons and cranks are stronger than the uk cars, though some people think that the "forged" pistons you get in the STi's are acutally decent forged pistons

Tony
Old 19 August 2007, 04:16 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Black Newage,
First and foremost, the articles have not been produced to show "we are the kings"... the articles are all about factual details regarding simple mod's and what they can or can not do (after extensive documented testing) for a Newage car (in this case a JDM one). Think of it as part of a reference for staged modifying specific Newage cars. This is something that has not been done before in as much published detail that we are aware of.

If you re-read Stage 2 (Engine) you will certainly notice reference to one particular car that figures have been compared to. This car was modified during the earlier period you mention. This was at a cost of around £15k and it was slower (based on the performance times published), so not quite sure what your post meant regarding that? Our SPEC C car had a fraction of that spent on it.

Achieving 12.5s 1/4's and winning the handling event at last years ScoobyLive meant it was certainly no slouch.

As Tony has stated it is not all about peak power figures and the article spends a lot of time explaining the effects that weight etc can have on a car (and that is just regarding the power to weight ratio, let alone the handling).

The car has now been totally changed since Engine Stage 2 and is now producing 500+bhp/500+lbft. Whilst the car is still undergoing development / testing, an article will be published as soon as possible when Engine Stage 3 is complete.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 19 August 2007, 07:11 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

Im hoping they do have better internals, my Spec C is in at the min having a bigger turbo, Fmic, Injectors, induction kit and running a second map for race fuel
Old 19 August 2007, 07:46 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
so a tuned JDM with 360bhp would need a 420bhp UK STi, and thats pushing UK STi engine rebuild territory, or if you have a 400bhp (still running on the stronger internals of the JDM car ) it would need slightly more (around 470bhp now) in a UK car to stay there, so as you see, money not being an option, the 400bhp JDM spec c (which will still pull from 1300 rpm! over say 2.5-3k rpm of a UK car) making it more drivable and developing more torque out of the box
Tony.

I agree with you my even with my lardy 2006 STi JDM the torque delivery is awesome and has beaten Cars that have a 400BHP peak

Tony
Old 19 August 2007, 09:39 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster

The car has now been totally changed since Engine Stage 2 and is now producing 500+bhp/500+lbft.
Regards,
Shaun.
so its still low powered car it will be catching mine soon lol
Old 20 August 2007, 12:40 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Race fuel! You must have deep pockets fella

TX.

Originally Posted by scoobytyson
Im hoping they do have better internals, my Spec C is in at the min having a bigger turbo, Fmic, Injectors, induction kit and running a second map for race fuel
Old 20 August 2007, 06:21 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stevebt,
If I wanted well in excess of 600bhp (which I believe is more than yours) I would just stick a different turbo set-up on, as everything else is well up to the job! I believe you are using rotated turbo's now?! The idea of this specific level of modification is to see what we can achieve on a STANDARD fit, direct drop in turbo on PUMP fuel WITHOUT additives. Something so far I am pretty impressed with. More to do yet though and we still have another couple of drop in turbo's still to try with AET.

Regards,
Shaun