LOCKING WHEEL drove me NUTS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2007, 12:05 PM
Alexppp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOCKING WHEEL drove me NUTS!!!

Hi there,
I thought it would be a good idea to change my set of wheels as my slicks were getting a little worn. As I have a spare set of wheels with perfectly good Bridgestone's. "Shouldn't take long" I said to my self. Started off ok as it's not exactly Rocket science. Got to the Off side rear and thought this one feels a little tighter than than the rest?? I had to practically stand on the wrench to move on some of the nuts and then came to the Anti locking nut which was overly tight and then all of a sudden it slipped off taking a huge chuck out of the nut. So I tried it again and it slipped. Now I started to stress as changing the wheel and checking the fluids is all I can do!
Then it hits me (no not the wrench) Subaru dealer had that wheel off last week to fit a rear strut and must off done it up too tight. As far as I know, if the thread goes, then you have to drill it off (not the case) Anyway a mate stops in and he know more about car than I'll ever know so he has an Idea, as to put a lager socket over the top, hammer it on and then turn. Well he's at and trying hard but these ALWN have a outer casing to it that just spins so you can't take it off. By now the nut it mullered. We leave and this morning I went to Subaru with the blag that they had tightened the nut to tight and in fairness they had but then again I was the one who ruined it??

Took the guy one turn and it fell off and he used the same ALWN that I did. at the same time the car locked itself whilst on the ramp with the keys still in it. Shall I go on......

The other half had to drop the spare set off at the dealers (she wasn't happy) but they did replace all my ALWN for free.

THE END
Old 02 August 2007, 05:12 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody has those days. I seem to be on a good run, let's hope it stays. Mind, i've got my gauges to be replaced and refitted to go yet...